Schlage lock problems

@matthew1 The Schlage locks have been removed from the compatibility list since that post by @bobbyD Many users are very satisfied with the reliability of their Schlage locks but some have issues. Since the Hubitat team has been unable to find a way to determine where the issue might be, they have been removed from the list of supported devices until they have a solution.

3 Likes

Well, I don't know what the issues are exactly, but reading through the site here its seems to be a layer 1 issue with the z-wave communications. When I troll LinkedIn and look at who is at this company I don't see a lot of wireless experience or strong electrical engineering education. The chairman is a bit a famous person but I doubt he is working tech issues. I love a tough problem and if I didn't think the days of Z-wave were numbered I likely dig into myself. Has anyone in this group gotten hold of one of those Z-wave network analyzers and tried to identify the issue?

If you do a search through the communities here you will see lots of back and forth. Some people have had great success with the lock while others have not. The Hubitat engineering team have looked at the problem many times.

1 Like

What gives you that impression?

Sure, have at it.

3 Likes

Because, you know - Thread has taken over everything. No, wait ....

3 Likes

And that honestly means absolutely nothing, it’s just a silly statement. Not everyone uses LI, and such a comment completely dismisses any possibility of using contract developers and hardware engineers.

Or do you really think Bruce, Mike, and Chuck, lacking in wireless experience as you claim, designed and built the hub by themselves?

If so, I would say that for a bunch of unqualified people, they sure have done one hell of a job bringing Hubitat to life.

4 Likes

You make a lot of assumptions.

1 Like

There are too many better alternatives to z-wave on the horizon for low bandwidth, low power wireless communications. My personal favorite is 802.11ah or what is sometimes called HaLow
I can't include a link to the alliance but you can google it yourself.
This will run circles around z-wave and zigbee.

Observations not assumptions.

Well, I live in the world of what's hapening now.
And right now we have Zigbee and Z-Wave devices available.

You'll be waiting for some time to get your hands on a 802.11ah (or whatever) lock, in the mean time you might be able to figure out the schlage issue right?

4 Likes

They come and go ... 6lowpan where are you? Thread have great market penetration yet?

1 Like

I don't think I would put much hope for this as this article https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/220355-next-generation-wi-fi-802-11ah-announced-with-almost-double-the-range-lower-power was posted over 4 years ago and yet Amazon 4 years later doesn't have a single 802.11ah/HaLow device available to purchase.

Doesn't seem much traction at all is behind this similar to 802.11ad that Netgear put in their Nighthawk X10 routers advertising it to be "future proof" There are hardly any 802.11ad devices available more than 3 years after release.

No doubt it is a wonderful product. Commercial success is proof of that.
Getting product to 90% is about the same amount of work to get the next 9%, the last 1% can the same amount of effort. Designing in a radio chip to a board does not constitute wireless expertise. When customers have issues that a company cannot reproduce reliably this the means they need to go out in the field and debug the situation or expand their test environment. This can be extremely impracticable and cost prohibitive. I appears that the company made a very pragmatic decision to remove the device from their compatibility list. They may have a higher standard for that list than other companies, and it may be the device is 100% of the issue. Then again Schalge's parent company is no small company and no doubt they have sold many more locks that this company has sold hubs.

I can't post links. If i could I could direct you to some very heavy hitters that are behind 802.11ah

HaLow success is far from a sure thing. But the fact that companies keep trying to replace z and zig is, IMHO, a sign one of them will succeed.

That's no "sign" at all. That's literally ONLY the definition of market competition.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don't have one of your hubs and my locks are 100 miles from where I live so it seems unlikely that I will be able to try. I will likely have to make a pragmatic decision like this company and cross this hub off my "compatibility" list and find another solution. Its a shame because based on your marketing material there is a lot to like about this hub and its goals. I would love an excuse to try one but I have no z-wave devices in my home.

I see, well now your posts make much more sense...

6 Likes

There were very big hitters behind Thread and 6lowpan as well. Unfortunately, there's a huge gap between a press conference, a working group, and manufacturing a product ....

Anyway the point is moot. I hope you find a system that meets your needs (or roll your own).

Given the huge market penetration of z-wave and zigbee, unless a replacement is backwards compatible, it has zero chance of achieving any reasonable market size.

1 Like