Schlage FE599 wont pair

Don't shoot the messenger. :slight_smile: I'm just telling you what my experience was. Search these forums on BE599 and you are going to find that this lock is problematic with Hubitat. In fact, it is not officially supported by Hubitat, presumable because of past problems.

2 Likes

I guess I still haven't seen you answer the following:

• Have you successfully paired anything Zwave? Is this lock the first thing you are trying to pair? If other things pair, then we know the radio is working, and that it is set to (presumably for you) USA frequency.
  • Did you get an exclusion successful message? If you don't get that, it won't do any good to repeatedly try to include. Please verify you did this step, and what happened.

Also, there should be something relate to this lock in the Logs tab when doing all this exclusion and inclusion, does it show anything at all? Any errors?

1 Like

:+1:

But still, Zwave should work on Zwave. Or maybe more specifically, it should include, but whether it functions from there...

I understand your frustration - I have been through it. I believe the problems are related to the S0 security and Schlage's implementation with this lock. When I got this lock paired with SmartThings, it was only after trying for a couple of hours and only with the hub inches away from the lock. I never could get it paired with Hubitat with the same song and dance. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and good luck. I hope you can get it paired.

2 Likes

The bigger issue, and why I will never buy another Schlage (I have 3 BE469) is they don't fix their firmware problems. (Also looking at you Jasco) They could very easily say "no problem, just install this fixed firmware". But instead, they make you buy a new lock, throw it away, or live with the miserable thing until it dies.

These locks are so temperamental. Sometimes they are great, other users cannot get them to work at all. I have been on all sides of it. Initially on my C5 they worked great, until they didn't after about a year. Then I paired them with the C7, and they seem to be happy again. I don't even know what or why they can change from months on batteries, to chewing through a set in days.

So @icecoldusa, I am completely not surprised that your Schlage have issues. But it would be nice to see how or where these are failing so maybe this could get fixed IF it is a bug of some type.

3 Likes

I totally agree with @neonturbo . I had to replace my FE599, but haven't had issues with my other Schlage locks. Reasonable battery life and reliable operation. YMMV, others haven't been so lucky.

@icecoldusa , if you are just getting started moving devices to Hubitat (and not giving up on it), may I suggest that you research these forums to see if your other devices are supported and if there are any issues with them. That will help prevent other surprises. Good luck!

2 Likes

I know! I looked everywhere, I tried a soft reset got stuck on the hub initialing screen, had to downgrade the firmware to get it to boot again. Well, it's gonna go back to amazon, I got my old vera and within 15 minutes I have all my locks, switches, and outlets working, the BE599 paired on the first attempt.

I did, whit my old Vera Hub, sending HE back to Amazon, gonna order an Ezlo. I really wished tht the HE would work, but after 2 days trying to set it up, I went back to the Vera hub, 15 min all devices including the locks, are working.

So were you having other Zwave issues? It is possible there is something going on with Zwave, maybe something simple like the hub is not set to the correct Zwave region. I get that the locks are important, but if nothing Zwave worked, then you might even have a defective hub.

I guess you didn't want to answer this question, so I am not sure if you are really wanting help, or what?

Sorry for the delay, most of the Zwave devices that I got to pair, would work intermittently, right after pairing, and not working again for hours, I repair the zwave wave network, and it would work, and the same thing would happen again. I checked the zwave region, it is set to USA.

Ok.

So that is good that other devices paired. Normally you do not want to run a full Zwave repair. IF you need to do a repair on a C7, it is recommended to do an individual node repair.

It sounds like you might not have enough repeating devices in your mesh. Normally it takes about a dozen or more line powered and/or dedicated repeating devices to begin to have a stable mesh.
And you should work from near the hub to farther away. Battery powered things like sensors don't strengthen the mesh, they don't repeat.

The other thing that people often do at first is turn on things like power/voltage monitoring, and pairing devices as S0 security. Both of those, especially on a fragile mesh, can take things down.

Not sure if you want to list your devices you were trying to pair, so we can see if there is some problematic device. But I guess if you can't get the locks to work, it might all be moot.

All my devices are hardwired, only battery operated, are 3 doors Lock's. I removed the FE599 and tried to pair it 1 inch way from the hub, I had a successful exclusion, looking at the live log, but it would not pair. The Vera Hub is inside a closet, on the 2 floor and it paired w/ the lock, so something its wrong here. Can you mesh a vera w/ HE?

All my switches and outlets are GE Jasco, and a few Aeotec relays. I was looking forward to integrate my Lutron Bridge to the HE.

It depends upon how old these are, but if they are Zwave Plus, these work good. I don't have the Aeotec, but they should be OK too.

I found this odd reset procedure on another forum for the locks, I wonder if it will do anything? A couple people confirmed it worked...

The lock needs to be installed in the door. Do a reset by removing the battery and holding down on the Schlage button on the out side of the door and connect the battery. The lock will blink twice. Enter a default unlock code as read from back of the lock or book. The lock will go thought a calibration. Extend the bolt on the lock by pressing the Schlage button on the outside of lock.

Bring the Hub within 1 foot of the lock ( I used a long network cable). Go the the z-wave utility in the app. Issue a general exclude. Enter the programming code on the lock then go to exclude mode by entering 0 in the lock. The light on lock will blink faster. Magic will occur. Make sure that the green check make appears. The app will say one device excluded.

It will pair now.

2 Likes

The Fe599 its not a deadbolt, I reset it, excluded and it found it, but says initializing.

Correct, it is an old 300-series z-wave lever lock. Unlike the BE469, Schlage hasn't shown the FE599 any attention. They haven't updated the firmware for it in about 8-10 years, or created a z-wave+ version of it (akin to the BE469ZP).

I think I paid about $170 for a FE599 in 2014, sold it on eBay 1.5 years ago for $100, and replaced it with a new Yale lever lock that works flawlessly with Hubitat.

I would urge you to consider this route because it will work with the newer Ezlo/Vera zwave+ v2 controllers about as well as it did with the Hubitat C-7.

3 Likes

Its there anyway I can integrate the HE w/ my Vera Edge?

There's no direct integration. Indirectly though, it seems Node-Red has a few Vera Edge mentions. Certainly Node-Red and Hubitat are wonderfully integrated. It seems you could construct a path from Vera Edge to Node-Red and then to Hubitat.

I have never tried Vera so I know little more than how to spell it but I have attempted to use Home Assistant and got 3-4 devices connected and then via Node-Red, a connection between Home Assistant and Hubitat. Meaning... I've done something similar, but not the same.

But I'd really suggest reading the post from @aaiyar because there's so much truth there.

1 Like

As @csteele said, there are indirect ways to integrate Vera and Hubitat. One way is using Node-RED, which both Hubitat and Vera integrate with, permitting you to use Hubitat events to control Vera devices and vice-versa.

A second way is to integrate Vera with Home Assistant, and then use the Hubitat integration Home Assistant Device Bridge to bring Vera devices into Hubitat.