Schlage Encode WiFi updates to trigger action?

Welcome aboard! Hubitat Elevation doesn't work with the Wi-Fi model, if you are within the return window, or can replace existing lock, I recommend the Zigbee version for best experience.

5 Likes

Do you have an Android phone or tablet and the Tasker app by chance?

1 Like

At this time, the word "Wifi" tends to mean "Cloud" and that pretty much always means no public API. The communications between the lock and the Cloud will be SSL (encrypted) and thus decoding traffic to reverse engineer an API would be a challenge.

So... to summarize: it's not the "WiFi" that prevents it working with Hubitat... there are plenty of WiFi devices connecting. It's not the "Cloud" that prevents it working with Hubitat... there are plenty of Cloud integrations that work. It's the lack of an API that is preventing it from working.

WiFi --> Cloud --> Proprietary API

Thus seeing "WiFi" becomes shorthand for "Nope, doesn't work."

4 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation on the Zigbee version. I'm well outside the return period, but I'm willing to buy a new lock if that's the best solution, and it sounds like it might be.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have an Android tablet that I could leave at the house all the time, if that's the thinking. I'll look into the Tasker app too. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you decide to look for a different lock, check out the following post for other popular locks that work with Hubitat Elevation:

Yeah, I've had similar issues with my Infinity thermostat. They want $500 for the developer kit, but I don't really have the time to spend to write some custom code to geofence the thermostat to make the $500 worth while. I totally get the propriertary API thing. The Zigbee lock is listed as working, and others on this thread have recommended it, so I'll look for it after my Hubitat arrives (hopefully tomorrow). Since I already have the WiFi lock, I hope the Zigbee version will be a quick swap.

Thanks for the link to the compatible devices list and the poll so I can see what other people are using. I'll definitely consider those locks.

Cheers!

1 Like

I have Schlage z-wave lock and a Hubitat rule setup that turns on the lights whenever the cleaners enter their door code. They normally finish in 1.5 to 2 hours so the rule also turns off the same lights in 2.5 hours if they finish before the lights would normally come on for the evening. Works great!

That's awesome to hear! I'm looking for a new Schlage Z-Wave or Zigbee lock now.

Thanks!

That is exactly the thinking. Using the tablet that is always at home should be a little more reliable & quicker using local Maker API but you could use your phone with cloud Maker API URL. I have a couple of Tasker Profiles that use the local Maker API URL when connected to my home Wifi and the corresponding cloud Maker API URL when not.

Be469 zigbee or z-wave

I decided to go with the BE469 Z-Wave because that's what my local Home Depot had handy. I've already got its key cylinder out, ready to swap with the Encode's, and when my Hubitat arrives tomorrow I should be good to go.

Thanks everyone!

Please be aware that some people have really hard time with the Z-Wave model, that's why Schlage is not on the Compatible List of devices. Many have better experience with the Zigbee model.

1 Like

Make sure you pair it within 3 feet of the Hubitat and add a beaming repeater such as the ring v2 as close as you can

The Hubitat will be probably within 10 feet and there will be a light switch on the floor below it, so hopefully that's enough, but if there are issues I'll see what I can do -- thanks for the heads up.

I've seen conflicting opinions on that, and went with what was in stock immediately (my inner two-year old wanting instant gratification). If the Z-Wave doesn't work, I'll try the Zigbee one (I'll just have to look harder for someone that sells it).

1 Like

It needs to be paired within 3 feet because of the whisper security transition.

Can I pair it outside of the door then? Otherwise I'm going to need to find a long Ethernet cable to get the Hubitat within 3 feet of my door -- that seems onerous considering the door is 3 feet wide. Then once it's paired it can be farther away from the Hubitat and other Z-Wave devices? I could put a switch on either side of the door; it wasn't the plan for this proof of concept, but the lock is the linchpin in this setup, so whatever it takes to get a working setup.

Thanks for the advice!

Why not pair the lock next to the Hubitat and then install it in the door?

My suggestion would’ve been the same as @bobbyD’s. Get the zigbee Schlage - the exact model is BE468GBAK.

2 Likes