Schlage door lock and the C7

Yes. I think The same devices are sold under the Weiser branding in Canada...

Ok, here are the certification specs for this lock at Z-Wave Alliance. Appears that this Weiser lock does not support S2. See towards the bottom of the spec:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2378/embedpics

I was confused because this thread is entitled “Schlage door lock and the C7”.

1 Like

Ah! Well it seems all is as it should be then, even though it is quite unfortunate... Thanks for this! I never even knew it was possible to find this out! Learned a bunch of new things today!

Oh, good point!!! Seems I’m posting in the wrong thread... lol

Looking more carefully, I see that this lock has a Z-Wave series 500 chip, not a series 700 chip. It is possible for a series 500 Z-Wave chip to support S2. For example, there are some Z-Wave USB sticks with series 500 chips (Aeotec Gen5+ Stick) that is a different software on its Gen5 stick. See:

Your lock spec indicates that it is OTA firmware updatable by the consumer. Perhaps a firmware update might be available from Kwickset/Weiser for S2.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll have to see if I can find something... never updated their lock firmware yet...

Bryan Copeland (@bcopeland) added a really great built-in Device Firmware Updater in the 2.2.4 release. It’s worth the price of the C-7 just for this spiffy updater. Perhaps you might get to use it.

2.2.4 - Device Firmware Update App

2 Likes

I so agree!!! I’ve used his driver version on the C-5 several times. Looking forward to trying the new app on the C-7! :grinning:

It’s night and day with the built in app. A true pleasure.

1 Like

Frustratingly, I cannot get my Schlage FE599 to work with the C7. Always stuck on initializing. Sometimes I do get the "need to exclude to pair securely," message, but it still never works. I took the lock off the door so I could bounce between my C5 and C7 hubs.

C5 pairs instantly, and recognizes the device, etc. No factory reset required, just works right out the gate. I've done all the things mentioned here, like factory resetting the lock, including, excluding, factory resetting again, etc. Rebooting hub.. list goes on. Always sits at Initializing.

Go back to C5, without doing anything special, and bam. Highly annoying. Has anyone figured out what to do when a device is being especially problematic? I also have other devices that did not pair easily, and have left ghost attempts (not this specific device.) Sometimes refresh/remove works, and other times, nothing happens, and the logs have no info.

1 Like

I had a BE469NZ (non-plus) and I didn’t have any issues pairing, just problematic to keep it talking reliably afterwards. Any chance you could keep the lock on the C5 and use hubmesh?

Regarding the zwave remove failing. If the device responds to a ping, then it will not get removed. The device must be powered off and then the remove should work.

Yeah ideally I wanted all radio devices on one hub, so I'll keep trying. Thanks for the power down advice!

Yeah I know what you mean. I have done the same. After hours of working with my Schlage I pulled the pin an bought an Alfred a few weeks ago now and I couldn’t be happier.

First time I've heard of them -- interesting. I have a 'touchscreen' Kwikset deadbolt and the screen SUCKS. It rejects most of my input... I hate it. Curious how yours behaves.

Also, can the BT be used for proximity unlock, while still having it paired via Z-Wave? That would be sick, as long as it was smart enough to have forward-vs-rear BT detection. I'd hate for it to unlock as we walk around the house.

April (who is no longer here) did a review thread on Alfred 5-6 months ago and @diySmartHomeGuy has a review on his page of the DB1. I bought the DB2-B. I need the key backup in case of an electronics malfunction because it’s the one door with an external lock - back door is a patio door and no access from garage.

Keypad is very good but I have only had it for a short time. I had my schlage for two years and I didn’t have any issues with that keypad either. I don’t usually touch it but my wife does and I would hear about it if it was poor.

Yes the BT function is cool. It only activates if first you exit the BT bubble and come back in. And then it allows you to specify a timeout for the one touch feature.

So I did a bunch of reading on the proximity stuff ans apparently it's GPS/geofencing. Requires the app to always be running with a persistent notification. I was really hoping the lock was just aware of devices around it, like some sort of a rice BLE beacon, so I could use a smart watch, or whatever. This doesn't seem to be the case. Bummer.

man, I have never had so many issues with Z-Wave before this C7. I have to plug it into a power brick, and my LTE hotspot and wander around the house. Sometimes putting it within an inch of MS6 and locks. This is nightmarish. I can easily link my C5 to the same items anywhere in the house, without a mesh, and without moving those items, or the hub. I feel like something is really effed on the C7.

Same issue here with both my FE599 and also bought an Alfred lock for my front door.

You also seeing the same 'range' issues when pairing devices? I feel like something changed with the radio when it comes to S0/S2 devices, and now it requires insanely-close proximity to pair... where before it would work from 50-100ft most of the time.

That doesn't explain the Schlage though.

I have the lock sitting 2 ft from the hub, it funny it reported on the battery but that is all i'm getting.

Someone made a comment on another thread that the moved the hub further AWAY and it worked... but I've tried so many positions. I finally re-paired it back with my C5 and emailed Support.