Schlage BE469 replacement inquiry

I've been meaning to post that. The only two things that seem to stand out are a rather high response time, and 42 route changes.

I may have to try pulling it off the door and taking it downstairs to where the Hub is. That is worth a try.

The firmware version on it is 5.8. Unfortunately, I don't think it's possible to update firmware on these things.

Yeah not upgradeable. Anything prior to 7.10 is a crapshoot with the 500 and 700 series chips. Still would be useful though to see your z-wave details page

Someday, I will be giving this some attention when I am actually close to the computer to get a good screenshot of that page. :slight_smile:

I guess I shouldn't feel that bad about the strong possibility I will have to break down and buy a new lock. After all, the strong majority of hardware I'm using with this was given to me free by Nexia some years ago, so for someone as cheap as I am, it's not a massive investment. :slight_smile:

All the switches work fine. The thermostat works fine. Pretty much everything I brought over from Nexia has worked flawlessly, except the door lock.

The only other headache I've had is an in a velly dimmer switch I am having to use, because I can't use a regular light switch (our house is quite old, and there are no neutral wires). The dimmer wound up being the perfect solution, but I had some issues with set up- initially under Nexia- but it was apparently because I was being a dumbass, and did something wrong. :slight_smile: I was impressed that when I contacted tech support, I rather quickly wound up in email correspondence with the founder of the company, who was extremely helpful and friendly. He has been happy to hear that the performance of the dimmer has been even better since I switched to Hubitat.

I have BE469s and they do work with Hubitat (mine work quite well in fact).
Mine are currently the BE469ZP version (Z-Wave plus, 500 series chipset), but I used to also use the older non-plus BE469NX version.

BUT, getting them to work is all in the initial pairing. I don't think they support Network Wide Inclusion (NWI) (at least the BE469NX does not) so you have to bring the hub and lock close together when pairing.

When pairing, I found you get the best results if you install the lock where you plan to use it, and then bring the Hub to the Lock (in my case, using a long Ethernet cable so the hub can be next to the lock). Some say to bring the lock to the hub when pairing, but I found that it works better the other way around (bring the hub to the lock). I think its because if you pair where the lock is to be used, the lock better learns its neighbors.

Then, after you pair everything, have the hub do a manual "Repair Z-Wave" from the Z-Wave Details page. Now, there are many who will tell you this isn't necessary, but if you are using the "older" 469NX which isn't "Z-Wave Plus", it needs to learn routes back to the hub, and in my experience, the "Z-Wave Repair" is needed if you have the non-plus devices.

Finally, as mentioned, I changed all mine out for the "ZP" versions. I was able to buy a number of used locks on ebay for about $20-40 with shipping. It doesn't matter which "finish" you find on ebay (Bronze, brass, nickle, etc)- you can swap out the internal mechanism and put it into your lock with just a few screws. That also helped.

So, if you haven't considered the foregoing, maybe it will save you a bit instead of replacing.

Or, as you say, just buy new locks if you have the extra $ to spare.

Thanks for that. You have explained the factors involved in much better detail than anyone else has so far. It's always good to know some of the reasons why some of the previously made suggestions work.

Unfortunately, it may not be entirely practical to move the Hub close to the lock. It's not that they are that far away as the crow flies, but due to the layout of the houseā€“ including where the hallways are, where the stairways are, Etc.- I would need a really long Ethernet cable to get up to it. I may have to settle for trying to do it by moving the lock downstairs close to the hub.

I took a quick look the other night at the Z-Wave locks on eBay, and it seems the days of getting one for $20 or $40 maybe over. I may just have to do a different search, with the different terms, but a lot of the ones I saw listed weren't that much less expensive than buying a brand new one on Amazon. I don't really care about the finish. If I can find one that works, I'm not transplanting any guts. Looks aren't really that important. I'll slap it in that door either way. :slight_smile:

I only asked about the page to see if you have any ghosts (denoted by no route in the routeing column) If you do, they need removed as they too can and will prevent pairing of the lock

I've also done it where I move the lock to the Hub. That's just a few screws to remove the lock and keypad from its current location. Then after pairing, try to move the lock back to the room where you will install it and do a repair of just that lock device from the Z-wave Details page before you re-install it. If the repair completes successfully, you're good. Else, walk it back half-way and try the repair so the lock can learn some neighbors closer to where it will be placed. Its a pain this way, but it may work.

That's all I have to add. Good luck.

I haven't seen anything that resembles a ghost, but I will take another look when I get home. Fortunately, removing the lock from the door is quite easy. It was simple enough to install it, so removing it shouldn't be too bad. I'm always doing things like replacing the motherboard in my 3D printer, so a door lock shouldn't be too difficult. :slight_smile:

If you like the Schlage, just get the zigbee version. https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-Connect-Deadbolt-Camelot-Certified/dp/B07H41WCZJ?th=1

2 Likes

My non-plus worked well with my C5 - not 100% reliable with locking and unlocking but never stopped talking to my hub over a two year period.

Then I moved it to a C7. No issues with resetting and pairing. So no itā€™s not all about the initial inclusion. After a month or so it would loose itā€™s mind and ghost. And it was 8-10 feet from the hub with few devices surrounding it.

I would not recommend using a non-plus schlage with the C7.

There is a reason they are dropped from HEs supported list.

1 Like

Use reliable lock app from Hubitat package manager

That was one of the things that disappointed me. I brought reliable locks into this whole thing, and it changed absolutely nothing.

I'm not saying it won't work in other cases though.

Anecdotal evidence indicates that the external antenna mod changes this unreliability pretty dramatically.

1 Like

I am absolutely not familiar with an external antenna mod. Is this a modification done to the C7, or to the lock?

To the C-7. Here's the relevant thread. I don't think there's anyone on that thread who has not reported a dramatic improvement in z-wave performance.

1 Like

I am definitely happy for those that successfully get their lock working and you know that I recently did the mod to my C7. That said, in my case I am not sure it was a signal strength issue. The distance to the hub was small - I relocated my hub from my basement to my front closet mainly to address this issue - and as I said, it would work fine for a month at a time. I may have been dealing with a hardware issue, but I donā€™t believe in coincidences and it all began when I moved it from the c5 to the c7.

That was not my complaint. I already was using a RM with checking and repeat loops to make my schlage 100% reliable before the reliable lock app came out. I considered trying it but my RM was working for me and if it isnā€™t broken and all.

What I said was that my non-plus schlage would leave my mesh a month after inclusion with the C7, and then it would take me two days of monkeying around to factory reset the thing, get it happy again, redo my lock codes, and re-weave the device in all my rules. I had it abstracted as much as I could by copying itā€™s status to a virtual lock and using that in many rules but overall it was just a PIA.

The lock on my front door is the one device in my home that I donā€™t want to have to nurse along.

1 Like

I would agree that there are lock firmware specific issues at play with the non-plus Schlage locks. Anecdotally, I know of one person with a non-plus Schlage BE469 (lock firmware 5.8) who says it now works without fail.

I'll be curious to learn if the upcoming z-wave fw update for the C-7 changes your experience of sporadic drop outs.

1 Like

Additional info - I sold my schlage to a Smart Things use over a year ago and did not receive any complaints.

My Alfred replacement is rock solid from the start and that was before the antenna mod.

I have just over 50 zwave devices and the few at the back of the house that I was having rare issues with wrt response time, I did two things:

1. Switched zen2x devices to zen7x devices
  2. The antenna mod

I now have 47 directly connected devices and have zero zwave issues to ponder.

But I have read about the silabs update. Itā€™s hard to know whatā€™s going on under the covers unless you start zniffing (which I have not tried) but I am not sure I will notice any further speed improvements.

2 Likes

Maybe OT, but any idea if Schlage is going to offer a Matter Module update for the 469?

Schlage doesn't have replaceable radio modules like Yale or Kwikset; the radio is directly on the main board. I addition, Schlage also don't release FW updates.

So, this would appear to be unlikely.

4 Likes