Schlage BE469 replacement inquiry

If you like the Schlage, just get the zigbee version. https://www.amazon.ca/Schlage-Connect-Deadbolt-Camelot-Certified/dp/B07H41WCZJ?th=1

2 Likes

My non-plus worked well with my C5 - not 100% reliable with locking and unlocking but never stopped talking to my hub over a two year period.

Then I moved it to a C7. No issues with resetting and pairing. So no it’s not all about the initial inclusion. After a month or so it would loose it’s mind and ghost. And it was 8-10 feet from the hub with few devices surrounding it.

I would not recommend using a non-plus schlage with the C7.

There is a reason they are dropped from HEs supported list.

1 Like

Use reliable lock app from Hubitat package manager

That was one of the things that disappointed me. I brought reliable locks into this whole thing, and it changed absolutely nothing.

I'm not saying it won't work in other cases though.

Anecdotal evidence indicates that the external antenna mod changes this unreliability pretty dramatically.

1 Like

I am absolutely not familiar with an external antenna mod. Is this a modification done to the C7, or to the lock?

To the C-7. Here's the relevant thread. I don't think there's anyone on that thread who has not reported a dramatic improvement in z-wave performance.

1 Like

I am definitely happy for those that successfully get their lock working and you know that I recently did the mod to my C7. That said, in my case I am not sure it was a signal strength issue. The distance to the hub was small - I relocated my hub from my basement to my front closet mainly to address this issue - and as I said, it would work fine for a month at a time. I may have been dealing with a hardware issue, but I don’t believe in coincidences and it all began when I moved it from the c5 to the c7.

That was not my complaint. I already was using a RM with checking and repeat loops to make my schlage 100% reliable before the reliable lock app came out. I considered trying it but my RM was working for me and if it isn’t broken and all.

What I said was that my non-plus schlage would leave my mesh a month after inclusion with the C7, and then it would take me two days of monkeying around to factory reset the thing, get it happy again, redo my lock codes, and re-weave the device in all my rules. I had it abstracted as much as I could by copying it’s status to a virtual lock and using that in many rules but overall it was just a PIA.

The lock on my front door is the one device in my home that I don’t want to have to nurse along.

1 Like

I would agree that there are lock firmware specific issues at play with the non-plus Schlage locks. Anecdotally, I know of one person with a non-plus Schlage BE469 (lock firmware 5.8) who says it now works without fail.

I'll be curious to learn if the upcoming z-wave fw update for the C-7 changes your experience of sporadic drop outs.

1 Like

Additional info - I sold my schlage to a Smart Things use over a year ago and did not receive any complaints.

My Alfred replacement is rock solid from the start and that was before the antenna mod.

I have just over 50 zwave devices and the few at the back of the house that I was having rare issues with wrt response time, I did two things:

1. Switched zen2x devices to zen7x devices
  2. The antenna mod

I now have 47 directly connected devices and have zero zwave issues to ponder.

But I have read about the silabs update. It’s hard to know what’s going on under the covers unless you start zniffing (which I have not tried) but I am not sure I will notice any further speed improvements.

2 Likes

Maybe OT, but any idea if Schlage is going to offer a Matter Module update for the 469?

Schlage doesn't have replaceable radio modules like Yale or Kwikset; the radio is directly on the main board. I addition, Schlage also don't release FW updates.

So, this would appear to be unlikely.

4 Likes