Schlage BE469 No Luck with 2.0.4 - Suggestions

Let's hope not because I just checked my locks. One is 8.0 :grin: and the other is 7.1 :frowning_face:

Received an 8.0, not pairing secure at all, opened a separate thread for the weird issue I have

Oh you are going to have sooo freaking much fun with that.

1 Like

I'm not so sure there's a correlation with firmware rev and pairing issues. I have two 469s; the one with F/W version 7.1 paired without issue. The one with F/W version 8.0 was a bugger to get paired. Both have worked reliably since pairing.

The newer firmware is more sensitive to pairing. At least on a Hubitat. It may be a timing issue, or a difference I. The Z-Wave security implementation. At this point it’s only speculation.

I meant to say "I'm not so sure there's a correlation with [older] firmware rev and pairing issues. "

That certainly matches my experience.

The other day I just moved a V8.0 Schlage over to HE, and it popped right up. I knew to have the hub right near the lock when doing it so the secure pairing would work. First I did an exclude and got the check mark and HE logged that it had excluded a device, then I did the discover and it paired right up, I was shocked as I had a tough time getting it to pair with ST.

Then when I put the hub back in the basement, which is several mesh-hops away from the garage where the lock is, I had no comms with the lock...until a bit later when the lock was exercised and boom, up it came in HE, works perfect ever since.

Just letting you know that my Schlage BE469 ver8.0 paired and it's connected to 26 nodes. I think this confirms my theory to pair the lock where it will be installed, not near the hub.

Screenshot_20190205-015815_Chrome

That's always my recommenced practice as well, with any device Zigbee or Z-Wave. However, you can absolutely bench-pair a lock then move it to its final spot afterward. Unless the lock is Z-Wave Plus (and even then it's no guarantee) you will need to run a couple Z-Wave repairs so the hub can communicate with the lock again.

1 Like

So back to these locks again... Here's a funny story about how temperamental these things are...

I moved the last three of these away from SmartThings over the weekend. All three of them quite literally paired in less than 30 seconds. I did exclude the locks first, then factory reset them, but those are all steps I normally do. They've definitely fixed something... Broke something too...

Communications are so efficient after the Z-Wave stack updates that two of them locked up during code discovery (which was going very fast according to the logs), requiring me to pull the batteries to reboot them. They were fine after that.

Made me chuckle a bit though...

what updates? do you mean stack update in the lock itself or the hub? Sorry my dumb questions.

Stack updates. They made some changes to secure pairing in 2.0.4 which have had a huge positive impact, at least in my environment.

1 Like