Schlage BE469 No Luck with 2.0.4 - Suggestions

I had high hopes that 2.0.4 would fix the incompatibility with Schlage BE469 Touch Screen Deadbolts, but alas it has not. The locks are still failing to scurely exchange keys and end up connecting securely.

I've looked around here but haven't found consensus on a decent lock that works with HE. I've got two doors in the duplex that need code changes, one of which I should be logging code usage. Can anyone suggest a lock for HE?

@SmartHomePrimer recommended this one to me. It paired up easily and I actually think I would have liked it better than my BE469. Unfortunately it didn't have the motor strength I needed for my misaligned lock/door frame so I had to return it. Ended up with another BE469.

1 Like

Oh my gosh. I was thinking that it would be nice to put it on our inside door, but that price is kinda putting me off. and back when I really researched locks, Yale wasn't top of the line. Has that changed? Hadn't looked for about a year now.

Thanks! The weak motor is a concern because it's a 100 year old house and nothing, I mean nothing, lines up correctly anymore. The 469's are powerful and have no problems moving the bolt. I like the lower priced T1L, Best Buy had those on sale $50 off before Christmas, but not now...

From my research, Schlage BE469 is very strict about the timing of the ley exchange and if that timing isn't followed strictly the lock won't complete the key exchange. I think that's what is happening here.

I tried the B1L before the one I posted above. Could not get it to pair. I worked with @mike.maxwell and he recommended trying a different lock because it was doing some funky stuff during the pairing process. Returned it for the 256 that paired right up...you know the rest of the story.

Please try this with build 2.0.4, we made some secure pairing changes that should help with this lock.

Mike, see OP.

You mean in securely right?

Autocorrect got me. Yes, the locks would only connect insecurely.

I don't get it. I have had one of these for 2 years and another on the way. Came from Vera, but it works great on hubitat. I have it paired securely. I have always unpaired it before adding to another hub tho. Lock manager works great and I can even get which code was used to unlock it. It is the only grade 1 z wave lock that I have seen. I don't understand why I see so many threads on here with issues.

I have 4 of these total. Technically I have 6, but retired my 2 oldest at the recommendation of SmartThings support. The two that connected without issues are 1-2 years old. The 2 that I am having trouble with are new as of the past 1 and 3 months.

I don't know if I'd class the motor as weak, but I guess it's not "strong"? My house was built in 1923, but my front door lock lines up perfectly when closed and so there is zero friction on the bolt. i have to wonder why y'all don't just fix your doors if the locks don't line up right?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It's a pricey lock for sure, but depending on your requirements for color, you can look for Amazon warehouse deals. That's actually what I ended up getting. Originally I bought the brass lock to match our door knob, with the intention that this was just a test lock anyway and I probably wasn't going to keep it. The lock was so good that we all fell for it and wanted to keep it. [gulp] expensive! But neither I, nor my wife cared much for the black plastic battery door on a brass lock. Sticks out like a sore thumb, so we agreed the oil rubbed bronze color would be better, which wasn't really different than the dark gray August lock it had replaced and essentially it looks black, and so the black plastic cover blends with it. And as luck would have it, there was a warehouse deal available and so I got one for $170 CAD instead of the $285 CAD I paid for the brass version. The used lock was in perfect condition. Has been great. Very happy with my purchase.

Ebay, brand new factory sealed box... but honestly this is the only item I will say it worked better in ST than HE, I used rboy driver....

1 Like

Lol....easier said than done. Multiple hurricane impact doors..friction changes depending on the weather (metal frame French doors)...friction is not a real problem with standard door locks.
Long story short....Spend an unjustifiable amount of money to fix a 1st world problem with several doors, or buy schlage locks :man_shrugging:

1 Like

In my case, I have the locks in 100 year old oak doors that are exposed to temperature extremes. They tend to align perfectly in the winter, but in the summer the heat and humidity raises havoc.

My door is oak too. Wood expands and contracts a lot across the grain, but very little to almost nothing with hardwoods along the grain. Most likely the door jam that is changing.

What about the BE369? I have the BE365 (non-zwave manual deadbolt) that I bought LONG before I started home automation. If the 369 works anything like it, the z-wave would "unlock" the deadbolt but you would have to throw it open by hand. An extra manual step but definitely a solution if your doors don't line up quite right and require you to really crank em. Only downside, if you forget to throw the deadbolt, you can't lock remotely. On the plus side, I have the original 9v in mine and the locks were installed about 7 years ago.

Ok, here's an update... I tried both of the remaining 469's last night, somewhere around 8-9 iterations for each lock over the course of the night without any luck.

This afternoon, while getting ready to get them off my desk and put away I figured I would give each lock one last chance. The first lock flashed the red X as always, however when I went to remove the lock to my surprise there was a Last Activity timestamp reported and the secure pairing flag was true. I was stunned. I tried the second lock, and same thing. The lock indicated a failed connection, however when I went to remove it, there too was a last activity timestamp and secure pairing had completed. Both locks are completely programmable and controllable too.

The question is why did it work today, but not last night?? So what possibly could have changed? The only things different in the HE environment are pretty much everything is turned off because it's bright and sunny. That means no SmartPlugs reporting energy, no motion lighting, etc. Of course, those are all Zigbee things.. So could it be that the hub gets too busy doing other stuff that it cannot follow the strict timing sequence the Schlages are looging for?

Who knows...

using 2 Schlage BE468 both paired and zwaveSecurePairingComplete: true

I saw a similar thing last night with mine as well.
Last night I was trying to determine what made them stop working and what got them working again. At first I thought it was rebooting the hub.
Getting them back working was a real pain and I could only put it down to timing.
But last night I accidentally triggered the lock alarm when I was trying to figure it out at midnight so I pulled the batteries on both and called it a night.
Then this morning powered them back up and disabled the lock alarm and pressed the inside schlage button.
Went and checked hubitat and they were both working fine.
I tried rebooting the hub to see if I could replicate them failing but they continued to work fine.
so now I do not know.
I will try rebooting the hub later tonight to see if your correct and it is a time of day issue.
They are working fine now.

I have 3 BE469 locks that have been working fine until about 5 days ago. I discovered all 3 lock went inactive, and some combination of disconnecting the batteries and refresh/Save device eventually got them working. I'm using the generic device driver. Last night one locks dropped off again and I did the battery thing and save device. That lock will now report its condition (locked, unlocked) but will not respond to commands from HE. Today another lock stopped reporting, and stopped responding to commands. I pulled the batteries, and saved the device, and it will report its position, but wont respond to HE commands . I could previously lock and unlock both locks from HE.
I'm on FW 2.0.4.116. It seems like the issues started after I upgraded to 2.0.4.
Any Ideas what happened??