Samsung is bringing SmartThings to Android Auto

Any chance hubitat will support android auto?

I havent looked back since I switched over a year ago but this announcement is giving me FOMO..

Why would you want to press more buttons!? Especially while driving! Just tell Google to do what you want, where ever you are - from any device capable of using Google Assistant? :man_shrugging:

If I have to 'press' something to make my house work, I'm not happy! lol :wink:

5 Likes

I can see that. Cleaner come to the house need to open the front doors. Some of those items don't work with Voice comments.

If you click it, you can say it, no? Thanks for your feedback we will look into it.

No. Example would be with locks. Depending on the platform. Alexa you have create a pin and turn that on a head of time (note if you are in the car with others you may not want to give your pin out). If you click on you don’t need a pin. Google (this may have changed) you cannot unlock only lock with voice. However, you can click on it to do both. Other items like Arming and disarming would fall into this as well I believe.

1 Like

HE can unlock, right? (I haven't setup locks yet.) If so then Alexa flips a virtual switch and HE unlocks the door.

Edit: I'm not opposed to the idea, just pointing out a possible work around. As for a use case for car integration I could see it as offering some status information even if you aren't using it to "push buttons." State of home security and similar things.

3 Likes

Again, it has been a long and a lot has changed over the years. I know I ran into problems with Google I had to bury this with two virtual switches. In Alexa if you turn on Voice it will require a Pin for most/many security items. Locks and I think certain doors (not V-Switches, i.e. MyQ Lite creates a v-switch). Alexa this may work using a virtual switch. With other platforms like google it appears to look to the next action and I couldn't get it to work. Thus, I had to v-SW1 > V-SW2 -> to the restricted action item. Let me know if that helps.

So, back to the original topic, android auto play would be great. I haven’t seen ST doing this yet. I still have ST for some items (audio notification and August Lock that I’m about to ditch); so, ST doesn’t come up on my head unit in my car. So, I don’t think that they have done this yet.

Yes, HE can unlock but the Voice Platform Cortana, GOOGLE, Alexa, etc. may have device restriction base on device and function.

I would vote for this feature!

i just share some devices to google home and control them by voice. been doing that for a while now

ST just released this today.

1 Like

Personally, I hope Hubitat keeps working on useful things, not something like this silly Android Auto support.

1 Like

To each his own.

What's silly to you would most likely be advantageous to others. I would find it very beneficial to see that my alarm is armed and the water valve is closed when I leave the house.

2 Likes

It's not just about controls. Presumably, you would be able to get push notifications from the app this way also. So, for instance, when I leave the house and the garage door is still open, I get a push notification to the app. However, Android Auto's automatic DND settings prevent me from hearing or seeing that message. I currently have Tasker set up to read that message to me. But, it would be nice to not need that.

1 Like

Alexa Custom actions let’s you do a virtual voice command like:

“Alexa unlock Front Door Lock with code 9999”

which gets around the pin requirement

I just tried the ST update. It does work. I like the capability. Everyone is entitled to their views. This would not make me switch back to ST. When I wasn't stuck inside the house I could see the usefulness of this. Traveling and driving all across the country I can see the need.

So anyone within earshot can hear. No thanks.

If you embed it as the custom action, you can use another command to execute it, i.e. I could create a routine that is triggered by say...

Alexa let the fool in

that as an action then silently issues the command

Alexa unlock the front door with code 9999

1 Like

doing this while driving can be dangerous though. couldn't you just log into your cloud dashboard and check the status?

i have this as well, but with a combination of virtual switches and my devices, i can turn the virtual switch off to close the garage door. if i'm sure it closed or not, i just tell it to close again and boom, the door closes or it's already closed and does nothing

i'm definitely happy for your excitement on it, and if you do end up using it hope it works for your needs. i've found other ways to accomplish things through google home that i can utilize via android auto already to fit my needs

Sure, that's what I do now but it's a lot more distracting trying to open the dashboard when Android auto is already running and displaying other needed info.

1 Like

Also Android Auto requires apps to limit the steps taken to achieve something. This equates to less attention off the road versus staring at your mobile dashboard on your phone.

1 Like