Samsung appliances?

We have a family hub refrigerator and also a Samsung washer and soon to be delivered stove.

Hub link only seems to connect the fridge door contact sensor. What other ways can I bring info over to HE? I've tried HubConnect and its always turned out to be a pain.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any support for these devices.

So far the only thing that works is keeping my smartthings hub running with hubconnect.

2 Likes

Well I guess I'm going to have to go that route

I personally have never been able to get hubconnect fully functional.

Has anyone made any headway with integrating a Samsung washer and dryer? I am jealous of the LG integration

1 Like

I too would like to have Samsung washer and dryer integration.

There are three options:

• hubConnect as mentioned above but that won't be able to connect to smartthings once the transition away from groovy is complete.
  • NodeRed to serve as a bridge. Requires a local node server
  • New smartthings api to query status and issues commands. I do not have major appliances but I do have TVs and can easily pull status though some of the data is odd. Smartthings authorization token required.
  • https://developer-preview.smartthings.com/api/public

I have been using this successfully for about 8 months as part of the Samsung TV Remote. If the device is installed into SmartThings (no hub required), there are ways to detect the devices, generate a command, command the element, and poll the interface for the device status. Examples of all of this are in my code and instructions to connect to ST are in the installation instructions. This will also work for some non-Samsung devices you may have. The ST App provides lists by type and manufacturer.

I just touched the surface - but again, the only device I really want was the TV.

Where are your directions. I am curious as to what options you used to house your application that does the call to the SmartAPI.

The use of Node-Red with the Samsung Automation Studio pallet just allows the use of Node-red with the Smartthings API. They use elthe exact same method to talk to your device.

UPDATE: I have loaded a test driver code file to gitHub at the link below. The code is documented to guide in building a driver for any(?) SmartThing connected device. Tested on my Samsung 2020 TV.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DaveGut/Test-Code/master/ST_Integration_Template.groovy

I have been playing a bit more today with the driver and ST interface and I am capable of commanding my Samsung TV on/off, volume, mute, channel, and input source (so far). Basic communications use the Hubitat http implementations and are REAL simple. You can also send multiple device commands in-sequence and Subscribe to events - however, I am taking the baby-step of control and attribute extraction first.

Basic items.:

1 Like

Does this use pooling to get current state, or does it enable a webhook for ST to send back to Hubitat Cloud to update your hub?.

I think preferably this would be encapsulated in a Smartapp that connects to ST with PAT to setup pooling. It would pool the ST environment and then let you select what you want to activate. Then it would create the virtual devices based on what was selected. I use mine for Arlo cameras.

I really do think though the magic sauce to this though is getting ST to talk to Hubitat with Webhook if it can do that. You could get really busy creating drivers to link the data from ST to virtual devices in HE.

Currently, device status is a manual process.

I agree, an app would be best for some functions. I am still playing and trying to figure out how to subscribe to events (just need to work on it and it requires OAUTH.

Breakout would be setup commands done in an APP, device control commands from the Driver. Event subscriptions in Smart App and sent back to the applicable device.

That makes sense. Every time I have done anything with the Smartthings API pooling has always been the easy thing. With the PAT you can also submit commands fairly easy as well.

A while back when i still had Smartthings I worked on porting an app i had to the new Smartthings API. It didn't go as well as I liked becuase of issues I found, but i had basically a working instance of the app.

The hard part is getting Smartthings to send you updates as they occur (ie subscriptions to devices). As far as I know you will need in some fashion of a webserver online with SSL that can accept the call on a webhook and go through the life cycle management for setting up the webhook with the Smartthings side. I believe part of that life cycle management is also about using OATH to validate your app on your side with Smartthings developer work space.

The cool part will be if you can get a Smartapp on your hub to create that webhook through the Hubitat cloud to handle that management. Then the Smartapp would have to able to listen and to incoming subscription calls and then tell your virtual devices update accordingly.

You will need to review rate limits on the Smartthings side as there are a few that can be impactful depending on how many devices you setup in the app.

This is all why I ended up using Node-Red with with the SAS and Hubitat pallet. If i needed a always on server, Node-Red just made sense and frankly the pallet does all of the functions for you super easy.

I will admit though getting SSL setup to accept the webhook can be a little cumbersome, but not to bad with SAS

1 Like

Did you get any further with this?

No. I found no way w/o an external device to hubitat to subscribe to events. I can poll frequently (every 15 seconds or so) to get an update on the status. I dropped it since I could not get real-time alerts.

As far as Samsung appliances, If you can connect an appliance to SmartThings, you should be able to write a Hubitat driver for control/status based on what the SmartThings app can do. No ST Hub required. I developed a methodology to write a driver; however, I need access to individual device data stored on SmartThings to create the command string and response parsing. Done for the TV and it works.

1 Like

Hey @djgutheinz, would your method work to grab my Samsung washer and dryer notifications to trigger things in HE?

I describe it a little more here: Integrating Samsung Washer & Dryer

If not I suppose I could set up Node-Red since it sounds like that works, I just hadn't wanted to deal with that yet.

1 Like

Installation failed. I am using the current version of Node-Red on rPI and it does not want to install.

ERR!
    2022-04-15T21:30:15.265Z [err] Invalid tag name ""~"3.1.6": Tags may not have any characters that encodeURIComponent encodes.