Same as everyone else .121 zigbee issues

Is that screenshot with just a single router config? It appears there are several routers in your neighbor table; that won't show the problem I'm trying to demonstrate.. it only happens with a configuration of 1 and only 1 router. Add another router to the setup, and it won't show the issue.

There's also no need to hurry in checking the results; based on what I've seen the link won't repair on its own until 40-90 minutes later, or will do so immediately when you hit the 'Rebuild network' button...

Hopefully someone else can duplicate this, and I won't wind up like the same oddball that keeps saying "you can't really turn off your Zigbee radio" :grimacing:

...and for the record, I still can't.

4 Likes

Oh we've definitely already been taking up a secret collection to enable you to be moved to a care facility. :wink:

2 Likes

Several people I know will be relieved to hear that...

1 Like

Ok, new news.. just noticed after another trial that I couldn't repro the issue.

Apparently its a little trickier than I thought (bear with me). From what I think I have just learned, it isn't reproducible without having done a 'Rebuild network' at some point before the reboot (which I have gotten used to routinely doing since it gives an accurate picture of the current child and neighbor tables). Will try to repeat the steps with/without 'Rebuild' in the mix to verify...

3 Likes

Just a thought...

I have about 17 Zigbee devices on my C8. I have had no issues to date. I do know I have a very solid Zigbee mesh because I have a lot of repeaters.

But, I've neve had to pair a zigbee to my C8. Can anyone determine if the dropoffs are added to the C8 or are there some carry over from C7?

I have had devices that migrated from the C7 drop off. In some cases I have completely removed those devices from the C8 and added them as net new to the C8 and they still drop off. So I'd say at least in my experience both scenarios happen. But at least in my case the problem showed up a few days post-migration so if you're a couple weeks in you're probably OK. Just don't hold me to it.

Pretty sure this explains the failure to reproduce. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words, so.

A bit more complicated than I originally thought, but potentially easier to fix/avoid knowing that 'Rebuild becomes toxic on subsequent reboot'.

This done on .121 with exactly two devices (router + C-8), zero apps. Not sure if more than a single router masks this issue; will try later. Posted in another thread and tagged the usual suspects...

8 Likes

To me, the 'big deal' is there's a workaround, which is: don't click rebuild :smiley:

5 Likes

Or always click rebuild. :wink:

1 Like

For what it’s worth ( probably not much), I turned off “rebuild on every reboot” when Mike said it shouldn’t be necessary and haven’t noticed any difference. Everything is still connected and I actually added 2 more Tuya (Geix) irrigation valves to the C-8 for a grand total of 102 Zigbee devices and counting.

2 Likes

Just don't turn it on, now... because on the next reboot, hijinks may ensue (just tried that on my 2 device setup). Now to see if having just one router makes any difference (that may be a red herring due to adding a device during one of my trips down the rabbit hole)...

1 Like

I've never used the Rebuild option, and though I don't remember changing it at all, the "rebuild on reboot" option is turned off on my C8.

I've added new devices (and reset/re-joined new devices) to my C8, and of course had reboots at each FW update, and for the most part Zigbee has been kind to me.

2 Likes

I have the same issue where I it tries to add and doesn't complete.

I've just purchased a C8 as a new user, so no migrations from previous versions.

Trying to add different Hue bulbs - it finds them and starts initialising and then stops.

As if it's shutting down before it's finished configuring - I was looking around if there was a way to change the 60s timeout.

I did manage to get a battery powered zigbee switch connected.

No hijinks here. I rebooted it a couple times since then and all is well.

1 Like

No, there isn't a way for us to change that.

Rebuild is actually useful (well, aside from this toxic side effect) in seeing what devices are currently child devices of the C-8 (at least, the way it exposes them on the getChildandRouteInfo page). Othewise it has an unfortunate habit of displaying them even when they are long gone from the network. I got into the habit of using it every time I reproduced this issue (thus causing it, lol) to make sure I was starting with a known configuration.

1 Like

Right, my reply (before I edited it) said '"don't turn it off now" because I misread your post assuming you had turned the option on. I had just tried the scenario ('Rebuild on reboot'='on', reboot, turn off 'Rebuild on reboot', reboot--> FAIL). Oops.

2 Likes

Well, no... in case anyone still cares (confess my interest in beating this dead horse has waned) the 'reboot after using "Rebuild Network" breaks link to neighbor router' phenomenon also happens with multiple router configurations-- I reproduced it with two.

Still a mystery is why waiting (40-90 minutes) seems to spontaneously get a broken router link going again; doesn't appear to be a fluke as I've seen it happen twice after firmware upgrades, as well during several repros of the issue. Almost as if some kind of automatic recovery (rebuild?) was happening.

1 Like

Got a brand new gardenspot and joined no problem. Something about previously joined devices even after fully removing is hosed.