Safety Monitor and the Dashboard

The tile isn't PIN protected, it's allowing you to enter a PIN.

You would select a variable tile as the template.
I hope this is what you meant.

this makes no sense to me at all...what am i missing?

For the device type you would select the global variable connector that you set up. What device did you select for the string variable tile?

Edit: you need to make sure the global variable is shared with the dashboard you are setting up. By default all devices should be shared but if you disabled 'Use all your devices' you will need to manually select it for that dashboard.

what is missing that i found is you need to select the name of the GV in your dashboard then select what type it is...i dont see where anyone has said this on this thread:

i know have it showing even thought the rule is not working (but ill look at that later)

1. Identify your GV name:

1. In the dashboard, add a tile, then select a device using the name of your GV and then select Var. String as the template:

1. After you add your tile, you will now get the "Enter Code" tile

1 Like

FYI... i spent the last 4 hrs looking for this solution...glad its slow at work today :laughing:

1 Like

You must be joking, the post above provides a link to the best how-to concerning adding a Global Variable tile to a dashboard. Glad you got it working.

Anybody need an up to date guide on how to do this, it can be found here: Guide on How to Create a Password Protected Tile

2 Likes

Just adding here that setting the button number in the dashboard tile is required and easily missed.
I kept trying to debug why the heck tapping on the button didn't do anything (even when having a physical v.s. virtual buttons on my dashboard) and I was missing setting the button numbers. Duh!

Hope this is a good reminder to others

One question:

Does anyone know how to get a tablet to come up with a numeric keypad when you press the Dashboard tile, instead of an alphanumeric keyboard? My tablet's keyboard actually doesn't even have numbers accessible without pressing another key. Would be much better if it came up with only numbers in the on-screen keyboard.

Never mind, I figured it out!

I thought I was going to have to mess with custom CSS or something...

All you have to do, is instead of selecting "Variable String" for the dashboard tile, select "Variable Number." (See Post 23 from @Gdust.)

Then, since the input only allows numbers, you have to erase the "Enter code:" portion of the string comparison in the Rule Machine rule.
E.g.
IF (Variable Disarm(Enter Code:) = Enter Code:1234(F) [FALSE]) THEN
becomes:
IF (Variable Disarm(Enter Code:) = 1234(F) [FALSE]) THEN

Example:

Now, when you press on "Enter code:" it will erase anything that is not a number, bring up the numeric keypad, and allow you to enter the PIN! Works great :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks Brian. This works great and is an improvement over the way I originally created it. I updated my dashboard. My only concern, if you could call it that, is the GV is created as a GV String in RM, but added to the dashboard as GV Number. Hopefully any future updates will not cause a problem, since what you did works a charm.

Either you or I should probably write an updated how-to detailing the beginning to end steps for the creation of this tile, since it appears many users try to get this working and the above thread is kinda convoluted.

1 Like

I set this up as shown above and it works great! Thanks to all of the contributions. One issue I am having, however, is that my tablet is running dashboards using the local LAN address and when the PIN is entered, I get a warning bar at the top from Chrome telling me the site is not secure. Is there a way around this? I like using the local LAN address for all of my dashboards so I do not rely on the internet connection.

-Thanks, Mike

Sorry to resurrect, this old thread, Noob here, how do I go about making this rule say "Variable becomes", most of what I tried results in "Variable reports"? - Disregard, took some time but I finally figured it out!

My HSM doesn't any security keypad options.

Do you have any devices with the security keypad capability?

Just creating virtual button to mimic Arm and Disarm button. HSM template is very slow.

This is the only thing i can see in my HSM. I want to control the Arm and Disarm

If you don’t have any devices with the Security Keypad capability installed then HSM will not present any options related to using one. What device were you thinking of using as a keypad?

Is this still the only answer is to manual make buttons?
what about adding time, date, states other than what a zigbee or zwave device can do.
Weather, Cameras, etc. ??

Yes you can add all those tiles.

Can someone point me to documentation on this?

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitat™_Dashboard