Rule still triggering even w/ private boolean as false

I set up a rule to turn on/off a light in my den based on motion in the room. I have it set to be enabled/disabled based on its private boolean. I then have a second rule set to enable/disable the private boolean of the first rule based on whether I’m watching tv in the room. Essentially, if I’m watching tv, the first rule shouldn’t turn on/off the light. Even though everything seems to be set up correctly, the first rule continues to trigger even when the tv is on and the private boolean for the first rule is false. Not really sure how to troubleshoot this.

I would suggest you capture the "log" entries. You have to leave a browser open and if you refresh the browser it will lose all the captured data.

I use Chrome for all my browsing. So I open MS Edge to capture the logs (so I don't accidentally close the log browser)

Then after the problem occurs, copy / save the log. If the problem is not obvious, post it for Bruce to look into.

John

Further to what @JohnRob said, look at the app details, under state variables. You can see private there, to see its state.

I'm experiencing the same thing. I have a Trigger which has the "Enable/Disable with private Boolean?" switched on which is still triggering even though the private boolean is being set to false by another rule. I have verified that the private boolean is being changed to false in the app state variables, but the rule is still getting triggered.

update:
A workaround is to convert the Trigger into a Triggered Rule with a condition on its private boolean. That does the job for me.

In addition to flipping the switch at the bottom you have to include it in your rule logic. So you need to append “AND Private Boolean is True” to your rules and conditions. It’s not just an on/off switch.

After the other rule has made Private Boolean false, look at this Trigger in the Apps list, and see if it shows (Restricted) in its name (refresh the page if it was already open). It should.

You can determine the state of Private Boolean in the Trigger by opening the app, and looking at the Restriction for Private Boolean. It will show its state as [true] or [false]. Verify that.

This is not correct. If Private Boolean is a Restriction, and it is set to false, you do not need to include it in a Condition.

Nope, it does not show restricted even when the other rule has made its private boolean false.

The private boolean is shown as false when the other rule runs. Please see screenshot below:

partial%20screen%20of%20private%20boolean%20state

Could it be because this is a Trigger? Is the code that reacts to the trigger event skipping the check for the private boolean?

This is a bug, just confirmed it. Will be fixed in the next release.

2 Likes

This bug was fixed in the latest release: Hub Update 1.1.6

1 Like

Just recreated the rules in question as simple triggers with restrictions on their private booleans and I can confirm they are working in v1.1.16. Thanks :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.