Rule Machine Slow, or zwave mesh?

Hello, I need help to pinpoint why a simple light turn on rule with a contact is taking 5 seconds to execute.
I already check the contact, it changes instantly after door opens, if I turn on the light in HE device is instantly, I think is Rule Machine. I did 2 different rules to test this and both were slow. But only after maybe an hour, after you trigger the first time and takes forever then it will respond fast. Please help, it's the second time my wife is complaining about, when she go to work the light doesn't work... hub version 119

Thanks.

What do you see in the logs when the contact sensor opens and the rule executes?

I don't know, what logs are needed? Thanks

How about try it with simple lighting? This way you can isolate it's RM or the hub is slow.

1 Like

Open the live log page in a browser window from your hub’s admin interface.

I will try, thanks.

But what devices I should get the logs? The front door contact? I don't know if the RM will show in the logs too. I'm away my house now to test the door. Thanks.

The "live" logs page is simply the option LOG on the bottom left in the main Hubitat menu.

The logs will be shown in the web browser. All events are logged. You should try it out and see what they look like. If you collect the logs for a long time be careful not to refresh the web page before copying all the logs to notepad or similar program.

I just tried again, and everything looks fine in the logs, I can see when the command pops up in the logs of the light instantly after the door is open, one for rule machine and the other for the switch, but it takes about 5 seconds to turn on the light after you see the commands. The weird thing is if I go to the switch on devices on HE or using Smarttiles this light turns on instantly, no delay when I digitally turn it on.

Doing a z wave repair now is worse. But look this:

Node 40?? That's my front door lock!

Is not a node a device that repeats the signal? I will not consider the front door lock as a node, it's battery powered. Schlage Connect.

Another error, node 37:

That's the energy meter.

No, Node is just a device network ID. All Z-Wave in HE get a node number.
Possible you don't have any Z-Wave Plus device to repeat your door lock and since it's a battery operated device it won't repeat other device either? I am just guessing.
I don't see any error on your power meter?

Are you sure about this? because I clearly see in the mesh repair when it skips all battery devices, but not the door lock.

I have 1 GE toggle dimmer switch and 2 Zooz toggle switches about 3ft from the lock, I believe they are Z wave Plus.

The power meter did not deleted routes, added return route or requested neighbor info.

Thanks for your reply.

The Z-Wave protocol defines two identifications for the organisation of the network.

The Home ID is the common identification of all nodes belonging to one logical Z-Wave network. It has a length of 4 bytes = 32 bits.
The Node ID is the address of a single node in the network. The Node ID has a length of 1 byte = 8 bits.

Nodes with different Home IDs cannot communicate with each other, but they may have a similar Node ID.

So... yes, we're sure "node" is just the name of the device ID number.

Battery devices are not skipped by a ZWave repair, but let me caveat that... I've never watched a repair initiated by Hubitat. I've watched plenty initiated by the other hubs I own. The repair needs to have the repair conversation ["deleted routes, added return route or requested neighbor info"] with every device for a complete repair but must give up eventually and conclude the device is "gone." If the battery device (your lock) happened to be awake at the moment that node # "got it's turn" in the repair cycle, then it would have had the conversation.

Please make a z wave repair, you will see devices with batteries will not be on the list (Logs of the Hub), or at least that is the way it worked always to me. Anyway, I still have the slow responce and I can't see why.

I know my terminology is incorrect, but when I do the mesh repair it will skip all the battery devices, here the repair logs:

Then the the list of devices after node 26 where the battery devices start:

26 Front Porch Light= wall switch, not skipped
27 Master Bathroom Window= Dome door sensor, skipped
28 Garage Door= monoprice garage door sensor, skipped
29 Tool House Door= monoprice door sensor, skipped
30 Mailbox= monoprice door sensor, skipped
31 Front Porch Outlet= I don't remeber the brand wall outlet, not skipped
32 Motion Left= zooz 4 in 1, skipped
33 Motion Right= zooz 4 in1, skipped
37 Energy Meter= Aeon/aeotec Gen5, not skipped but not completing the repair???
38 Hallway Thermostat= Radio Thermostat 101, skipped
40 Front Door Lock= Schlage lock, error but is battery powered, it should be skipped???
43 Siren= zooz siren, not skipped, its connected to power, not battery.

I hope you see the pattern that I mean, clearly the battery devices are not in the mesh repair but for some reason the Schlage lock is on the list.

I would like that @bobbyD @mike.maxwell or @bravenel take a look of this.

Thanks

A lock can't consider itself a sleepy device battery power aside, if it were you would only be able to lock and unlock it when it woke up.
So despite being battery powered, they are not sleepy devices, make sense?

Yes, make sense, thanks, I only opened this thread to pinpoint why rule machine is slow, but those details are the only thing I can find, I don't know what is causing the problem.

can you exclude one or the other? can you try the same rule with virtual switches?

I will try, now my wife got the same slow response again.

Thanks

Hi, how I set up virtual switches to turn on the front porch light with the door? With another rule besides the main rule?

Thanks

I meant, change the rule so that it turns on a virtual switch instead of the front porch light. is the rule triggered by a zwave contact sensor? if so, change that as well to a virtual contact sensor. then trip the virtual contact sensor and see how fast the virtual switch comes on. If it is fast, then that would mean the real contact or the real switch is slow. If it's slow, that would mean rule machine is slow. Once you have an answer to that, we can continue debugging.

1 Like