Rule Machine not so logic setup

Having conditions in the Manage Conditions section does not mean they take effect. You need to include them in a conditional action or something similar for them to be used. What are you wanting them to do within the rule? Limit when it runs?

yes, still as per original requirement

Then you will need to include a conditional action at the beginning of the Actions section that uses the conditions, which will limit when the TTS message is played.

Yes, you've missed reading the Rule Machine documentation. If your description is accurate, what you want to do is very simple and well within Rule Machine's capabilities. Here are a couple links to get you started:

https://docs2.hubitat.com/apps/rule-machine

Also - can I urge/encourage you to use a single username while on the community forum? Hard to keep track of your issues when you post alternately as @ThunderboltsRock and @user5935

6 Likes

I have this now, should it work as originally requested?

Read that and watched videos but wasnt making sense and still seems over complicated gui. i will attempt to delete the user5935 as this was only created when the other account had issues

Read the section on Required Expression. Using a required expression will make your rule much more efficient, because the trigger will be active only when the required expression is met.

The rule you've posted uses conditions to prevent actions from running when the trigger is active. However, it is more efficient for the trigger to never happen unless a required expression is met.

I will delete that account as requested by you. Don't want to do that yet - you have a lot of posts/replies as @user5935; deleting that account will also remove all those posts.

2 Likes

Would it, in this case? There are a number of conditions to keep track of, would it not be more efficient to only check them when the one motion sensor changes in the trigger?

Edit - I get in general the required expression is advisable. Was just thinking maybe not in this case

1 Like

If you find yourself needing to reference various different motion sensors in a variety of automations, you may want to check out the built-in app called "Zone Motion Controllers" it allows you to aggregate various motion sensors into one with a variety of parameters to choose from. You could then reference that single motion controller in your RM rule.

There are always many different ways to accomplish an automation in HE (it is unbelievably customizable), I am not saying Zone Motion Controller is the right way to do what you want to accomplish, it is simply an option, that I would likely use if I was making an RM rule similar to the one you are making. I would especially use it, if I thought I might need to aggregate those same motion sensors in another automation.

2 Likes

I think it would. Depending on the frequency with which the triggering sensor is triggered. I have replaced conditional actions with required expressions of similar complexity. As measured by the rate of free memory declining, the hub seemed to perform better.

1 Like

Excellent suggestion.

Another app that could be useful here is "Sensor Groups+".

1 Like

To answer your question @ThunderboltsRock , that is what I was referring to. But there have been some other great suggestions since.

1 Like

@ThunderboltsRock

To reiterate what Simon wrote, the rule you posted will work.

I would suggest ending the IF block with an END-IF to keep it neat, even though the END-IF is implied in this rule. As your rules increase in complexity with multiple IF blocks, properly placed END-IFs will be essential for the rule to function as desired.

1 Like

I tried required expression but when selecting mutiple sensors it did not give the option for time e.g time since last being active of 15 mins for all sensors

Thanks this will come in useful!

You may need to do them as separate conditions, like you did earlier in the conditional action

Would this End-IF be correct

Move it down one, so the play tts becomes the action that is run if the conditions are true

Done,
Thanks

1 Like

Just add an OR between the devices.. So this sensor OR that sensor