Rooms Manager: Smarter Rooms: Personalized home automation with Occupancy

a user had this ask:

Currently it is only possible to temperature control a room with one physical thermostat.

My current scenario, I have one or more vents in each room along with a temp sensor. I want to be able to allow controlling each room using the central thermostat.

When a room needs HVAC but the central thermostat is not running, reduce/increase current setpoint on the physical thermostat to service the demand.

i am waiting for the user to respond so i can tag this with their id if they on HE. didnt realize connected vents were popular. :slight_smile:

i have an idea on how to make vents work better when using a central cooling/heating systems. here is what i am thinking:

allow specifying another option to manage temperature lets call it "manage vents only". with this option the app will require a temperature sensor, both heat and cool temperature and vents. then open and close vents proportionately based on the current room temperature and specified heating and cooling temperature.

the other part of the setup is ... in one room set it up with the thermostat and temperature sensor from all of the rooms that are heated and cooled. then set the heat and cool temperature to the highest and lowest value respectively throughout the house.

this way the room with the thermostat will average all the rooms temperature to set the cooling and heating mode and each room will open and close vents according to their own temperature rule.

was i able to explain that?

thoughts on the feature?

thank you.

updated to github with the following changes:

*  Version: 0.65.0
*   DONE:   8/13/2018
*	1) fixed temperature colors on DTH for ST
*	2) added option to select which room motion sensors trigger occupancy from VACABT state.
*	3) added option to trigger busy check with repeated motion to the existing checks for state change trigger.
*	4) added option to override OCCUPIED state trigger devices when in ENGAGED state.
*	5) on HE added support for deleting rules.
*	6) added option to override OCCUPIED and ENGAGED state trigger devices when in ASLEEP state.
*	7) added option to override OCCUPIED, ENGAGED and ASLEEP state trigger devices when in LOCKED state.
*	8) fixed a bug on power time type selection when limiting power trigger during certain hours.
*	9) started work on save and restore settings. currently only allows viewing settings to save.
*	10) fixed bug for only on state change where mode and lux change would still trigger rules evaluation.
*	11) added github update notification via sms.
1 Like

other than @doug anyone else want to use multiple buttons (either with same or different button devices) to trigger rooms occupancy state changes? :slight_smile:

as an example ā€¦ you could use 2 button devices one each on either side of bed and 1 wall mounted main room button device ā€¦ this would allow setting up 1 button from each device to trigger asleep state.

Could someone explain the difference between setting up a rule to only trigger when in certain modes (when creating the rule) and setting certain modes to pause automation in the modes setting page. Iā€™m just trying to figure out the best way to set things up. Seems as though both settings essentially do the same thing in slightly different ways.

I'm so needy, eh @bangali :sunglasses:
I've got everything I need to do, handled with button controllers at this time. Since no one else is into this idea, I'd say file it away for maybe another day. Thanks!

@murray.sean.d
I think the key here is that the pause setting in the general settings section applies globally to all rules in the room.

Where as the individual rules can be restricted to trigger only in certain modes from within the edit rule view.
IOW, one applies to all the rules and one has to be setup on each individual rule.

Is that what you're meaning?

thats what you think :slight_smile:
already found an user on the ST forum that thinks its an excellent idea. code is done for the room button. will release that then add it for other buttons.

adding to what @doug said ā€¦ I often setup rules using time of day, lux and AL. no mode and no state. then in the mode settings page put in away mode for away and party mode to pause all automation.

I find that a convenient way of doing things for me.

@bangali Do you think its possible to control the rooms state with alexa?

not sure. does alexa see the rooms occupancy device? if yes can you ask alexa to run a custom command?

edit: just remembered someone on ST had asked me the same a while back. think that is why i added both the switch and button capability.

with switch off = vacant and on = whatever you configure it to be in mode and other settings.

with buttons occupied=1, locked=4, vacant=3, reserved=5, checking=2, kaput=6, donotdisturb=7, asleep=8 and engaged=9

1 Like

@bangali this is amazing. I'm getting acquainted now.

1 Like

eh ā€¦ just a bit of code. its users like you who make it amazing. thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

"just a bit" :smiley:

I found this while looking for a replacement for the circadian webcore piston I had. I am using a Sengled Color Bulb that I'm turning on and off using setLevel 0%-100%. Can Rooms Manager send periodic colorTemperature updates without listening for an on/off state from the bulb?

it will send both the level and color temperature. take a look at the Auto Level 'AL' settings.

if you dont mind ā€¦ leave aside the set level 0% - 100% ā€¦ in totality what is it that you are looking to do?

aHa - It's a hallway. Lots of traffic. Using setLevel because these bulbs do a nice dimming with that. (on/off is instant) There are 3 motion detectors. Two are used to fade the light up, and the third is used to keep them on. When they all go inactive the light should fade off with setlevel. Ideally it will be sent "pre-stage" color temperature.

if we can try this test:

• temporarily disable any pistons controlling these lights
  • click new room, give room a name and save the room
  • click on this newly created room, then
  • in room motion sensor for which motion sensor pick all 3 motions sensors
  • in room motion sensor for which motion sensor triggers from vacant pick the 2 motion sensor from above that are supposed to turn on light
  • in occupied settings set the timeout to turn light off after last motion inactive
  • in rules create a rule with name: as you like, state: occupied, engaged, switches on: lights that you want turned on
  • save everything
  • play peek-a-boo with motion sensor to test :slight_smile:

there are a couple of other things we can do with AL and another little feature coming friday ā€¦ but give these settings a try please.

1 Like

It doesn't seem to be responding. Here you have said:

When in fact, I have a setting to turn light ON. Should this be selected?

no dont select that one. that says change room to occupied when that switch turns on but it wont automatically turn on the switch. i should change that text.

just add that switch in the rule as the switch on.

easiest way to share settings is to scroll down and click on view all settings. there you can both filter out empty settings and also anonymize it.

also note you can only see the rules if easy settings is off.

Wow!

Yes, I turned off easy settings, and un-hid advanced.

[[hideAdvanced:[false, bool]], [motionSensors:[[131, 129, 130], capability]], [whichNoMotion:[2, enum]], [triggerMotionSensors:[[131, 129], enum]], [setLevelTo1:[AL, enum]], [type1:[e, enum]], [name1:[Hallway Rule, text]], [mode1:[[Day-Away, Day-Home, Morning-Away, Morning-Home, Night-Away, Night-Home, Sleep-Away, Sleep-Home], mode]], [state1:[[engaged, occupied], enum]], [switchesOn1:[[677], capability]], [onlyHas:[true, bool]], [anonIt:[true, bool]]]

this should turn on the light now with motion on those 2 motion sensors and so long as the modes match current location mode.

keep logging on while you move just to make sure there is no error in the logs ā€¦ but this is pretty standard setup.