Room Lights, Toggle per Mode

Okay, so I think we are going in circles here. I am asking that this feature be added. This is how I achieve my instance.Under the double tap section. Each Scene is a separate scene. I wish to achieve the same via the RL app. And to be able to "Toggle" each RL by mode" in the same fashion.

There is not need to use conditional statements if only using the single scene activator for the Room lighting instance. I just use toggle already in the room lighting instance. I need a way to "Toggle" a different mode lighting scene within the room lighting.

Sorry, not happening.

This is an edge case. What you're asking for would add significant complexity to RL. There is a way to do what you want that's not difficult to set up (use copy / paste actions).

Okay, so in your example, I would need as follows instead.

If (Scene 2 b Activator is off for mode Dawn) THEN
Activate scene 2 B for mode Dawn
ELSE
Off: Scene 2 B Activator
End-IF

I can't seem to figure out the first line.
"If (Scene 2 b Activator is off for mode Dawn)"

this should achieve what I need. Is it possible?

The Activator only has on and off states, not states per mode. It's just a switch. So "off for mode Dawn" doesn't make sense.

So is this right: It's not mode Dawn, it's some other mode right now. If the lights are on, I want to turn them off. If they are off, I want to Activate them for Dawn. Or are you wanting some more complex determination of their present state, other than just on or off?

If you really need to do this conditioned on which of the different modes set up in RL was last activated -- last turned off, that could be achieved. But I'm really missing how that should matter.

So how can this be achieved?

It does matter as I prefer the scene to activate per mode by default (Via button 1 of the scene controller). But depending on the situation, I sometimes need to activate a different lighting by mode. i.e. its night time and the light are dim per mode, but I am instead having a party so I need more lighting, so I want to activate the "Day" mode.

Your example would mean that to do so, I must hit the button twice. The first press would turn OFF all the lights in the room. The second press would activate the "Day" mode lights.
Having to turn the lights off jut to turn them on seems a bit silly.

Perhaps a change in the "Means to activate" section of room lighting?
Allow additional lighting by mode to be activated using different buttons or devices?

1 Like

Well, for this scenario, toggle won't do you any good either, no matter where it is implemented.

It seems to me that you're making this overly complicated. You can certainly have a button action that activates each mode, and another action on those same buttons that toggles each mode (as shown above). These are clearly different things to do. So they have to be invoked by different means.

If you really want to use a single button action to either just activate or toggle, depending on some state, then that state needs to be available to be tested. This could be done by setting a virtual dimmer to different values, one per scene. Then the test is what value is the dimmer, and what state is the switch.

Okay, so the virtual dimmer is defiantly outside the box, but sounds absolutely doable. It's still not the "Mona Lisa" of room lighting I'm trying to propose. But should at least irradicate most of the clutter I have to deal with. it reduces the virtual devices (I am lumping activators in with virtual devices) from 4 to 2. and also allows me to consolidate the scenes from 4 to 0 and use Room lighting for the scenes.

OK, but you're making contradictory proposals. One is toggle per mode (which won't work for your scenario above), and the other is activate per mode; and you want these all on a single button action. Like I said, this is way too much complexity, and I'm willing to bet that you will rarely use this "feature".

I technically use this regularly for each room. Sometimes just ton find something that fell on the floor (Increase the lighting if its at night).

I don't exactly see anything contrary. I'm just proposing different ways to "Toggle" each "Sub scene" of the room lighting independently in the hopes that one may seem a more reasonable approach. I also need a capture device for each (Current the RL app requires you to go into the mode section and re-capture using the button on the page). I don't re-capture very often, but its basically something the others in the family demand. They refuse to go into the HE app to try to recapture and state this is overly complicated, "Why can't I simply press a button to save the new lighting mode?".

Came up with this, its more "Hubble space telescope" than "Mona Lisa", but it works to "Toggle" as needed. Still leaves out the re-capture part (Solution still needed for that).

RL offers a capture device option.

For each mode? I'm having trouble finding that. I thought that only would capture for the current mode? not if you're outside the current mode.

Yes, it captures for the current mode. But you can set the mode (temporarily) to the one you want to capture.

Okay, right, but I don't want to change to mode for the whole house just to capture the scene. This would arm or disarm my alarm and turn off all lights in the house in some modes.

OK. A lot of complexity to deal with. Can't really see wanting to pile on yet more complexity as a solution.

Perhaps the problem is that you should be using separate RL instances instead of putting all of this on one instance. The complexity arises due to that. RL instances are free, and easy to set up using Clone app.

Im already using separate scenes and activators. And that works. Its a "Beautiful Mind" sort of solution, but works. My goal is a "Even Homer Simpson Can Do it" Solution in a single RL instance.

That's a contradiction in terms. Complexity and Homer Simpson don't go together, as is amply demonstrated around here daily. KISS.

3 Likes

Hi Bruce, I updated earlier today to 2.3.3.130 and I think one of my Room Lighting Activator devices is not following the state of the RL Child App. it works... :slight_smile: I went to the effort of capturing the notes below, only to realise that I had not set the indicator setting. Once I did that, it all seems happy. I'm wondering whether it would be worth making this setting somehow closer or easier to access from where the Activator Device is setup at the bottom of the main screen? Seeing as though they are so closely linked....

The notes below are no longer relevant, but decided to leave them here in case they may be of any use to anyone....

Pre-Test Setup

Kitchen Lighting App that is inactive but enabled:

It uses per mode settings to activate CocoHue Scene switches representing Scenes on my Philips Hue Bridge, activated primarily by zone motion sensors, with disabling of turning on and off using a virtual switch.

The Activator device is called Kitchen Lights and is in the Off position:

Aside from some manual testing (I turned the switch on and off from the device page and it worked as expected), these are the only Events displayed prior to testing:

Testing

I walked into the room, activating a motion sensor. The lights turned on as I expected, the RL Child App became Active, and the app recorded logs as expected:

But the Activator device did not turn on, record an event or produce any logs:

1 Like

I'm wondering if this could be achieved by having two layers of RL? First, create separate RL instances with scenes for each mode, but don't specify the modes. These activate only from the activator device. You could also capture directly into these regardless of mode, since they don't care about modes.

Second, create a RL instance that has all the other RL activators, and on a per-Mode basis turns exactly one on. When it turns off, it turns all of them off. (This probably also gets any of your automatic triggers.)

Then it's possible to associate buttons with either the specific scene activators or the overall one. If you do the overall one, it will activate the correct one for the current mode (and potentially switch between them if a mode change occurs while on).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.