Room Lighting / Timed Activation Issue

so i'll start with the fact that i'm very new to hubitat (love it so far!) and am probably doing something silly.

i got some help yesterday on being able to turn on a bunch of lights to specific levels, then adjust them and eventually turn them off. it was suggested that i use scenes, then someone suggested room lighting.

i imported my scenes into room lighting - and everything went well.

i have one room lighting group that's triggered at sunset - and turns on a bunch of lights at specific dimmer levels. that event triggered great.

at 22:00 - i have another room lighting group that was supposed to turn off two lights - but didn't seem to trigger properly. these lights were turned on by the sunset event.

in the logs - i see this:

at 23:00 - i have another room lighting group that was supposed to adjust the dim levels on a bunch of lights. these lights were also turned on by the sunset event:

when poking around - i did see a setting that i thought could make a difference - but i'm not sure:

again - sorry if i'm doing something silly - and thanks in advance!

Yes, you may need that setting if some or all of the lights would already be activated.
There is also an equivalent setting for the Means to Turn Off.

By default it tries to ignore duplicate activations, those settings would override that and make it re-activate anyway.

You might also want to check the "indicator" option in the means to activate. You can have the activation status of the RL app follow the devices to act like a scene, or a group (all on or any on).

thanks for the response @jtp10181 - and for the help yesterday regarding the room lighting...

i made that change (activate even if partially activated) in advance of my "sunrise" rule - and it didn't seem to have any effect.

here's a screenshot of my 23:00 rule - i maybe you could see something based on this...

and also my "sunrise" rule - which didn't turn the lights off even though i added that setting before it triggered this morning:

Turn on debug logging for both, it might leave more clues in the logs.

For the 23:00 rule do you want it to always set all those lights to those exact settings even if they are already on? If that's the case Under Means to Activate > Option > Indicator select "Scene". This will make the app only be "active" if all the devices are in the exact settings listed.
Also, if you are not using the activator device, I would go to the devices and delete it, when you go back to the app it should ask if you want to create it again or clear it, chose to clear it.

For the sunrise rule, most of the devices are the same as the first. I would actually delete the second one and combine them together. Add the Stairs to Lower Level to the first one and uncheck the Act box so it does not turn on when activated, leave Off checked.

Then just set for your means to turn off, the Sunrise time, and Turn Off even if partially Off.

I think that should work.

Once you get this working, it would make a good example to post in the examples section.

thanks again for taking the time to provide all of that detail @jtp10181.

so yes - for any of these rules i'm creating - my goal was that no matter what state (on / off / dim level) the devices are currently in - i wanted them to be set the way i have them in those room lighting settings.

when you say set the indicator to scene - which will make the app only be active if the devices are in the settings listed - i may be confused, but that seems counter intuitive to my goal of setting the devices no matter what state they're in when the room lighting item is triggered. am i mis-understanding something?

although i'm a kiss person :slight_smile: and appreciate your suggestion about combining the items - i was going to keep them separate in the case i needed to add / delete items - or wind up doing something that the room lighting logic doesn't support.

again - really appreciate your guidance here - and if it's taking too much of your time, i get it - i'll keep messing around...

thanks!

It will do exactly as you want, when the devices are not in the state you desire the RL app will not show "active", this does not mean it is paused, it means it is not activated. Then when the time triggers it, since it is not activated, it will activate and set the states. This is what you want. You may want to check all the "Off" boxes just to prevent it from being triggered off on accident somehow, and then select "Do Not Turn Off" in the means to turn off.

If you do not want to combine the two rules then I suggest you move your logic on the Sunrise turn off rule to the means to turn off, and uncheck all the "Act" boxes. Here is an example of how I have done this same thing to turn lights off after everyone leaves the house (but me).

Progress! so @jtp10181 - the 22:00 off event for my landscape lights, and my sunrise event both worked great after making the changes you suggested.

however :slight_smile: my 23:00 event seemed to do nothing - even with debug on - this is all that was in the logs:

here's another quick summary of that room lighting config:

again - super thankful for your time / help here. let me know if there's another direction i should go (direct to hubitat, etc) to try to resolve.

@bravenel I am stumped on this one. It looks like it should work?

@marcsnyder if you just hit the activate button on the app does it work?

thanks again @jtp10181. so yes, here's what I did.

I activated the sunset room lighting scenario - just to make sure the lights were on / dimmed already.

then I went in and activated the 23:00 room light scenario - and did see messages in the log that lights were being adjusted.

so yes - manually it seems to work as intended.

one item I noticed when activating them manually was the following:

not sure if it might be related or not - but I figured more info is better than less.

thanks!

Could you please post a screenshot of the Application State from the App Status page (gear icon in app). That's lower down on the App Status page.

yes, sure - here you go:

Could you please hit first the Turn Off button in the app, then Activate Button, and then post a screenshot of the full sequence of logs for the app generated by those steps.

Thanks. No errors.

Last thing, see if there is a Scheduled Job at the bottom of the App Status page. Post a screenshot of it.

BTW, one trick to test this, just change the time to a couple of minutes in the future, hit Update, and see what happens.

ok thanks - and I can do that. when it runs automatically at 2300 - there are quick messages in the log - which don't seem to really say anything:

messages at 2300 - then another at 521 - just showing there were no other messages after the two at 2300.

All looks right.

ok - thanks @jtp10181 and @bravenel - in that case - maybe I'll delete this room lighting entity - and go ahead and create it from scratch - unless you guys had any other suggestions or any other info you might want to see before I do that.

No I am totally stumped, maybe create a new one and just add one or two lights to it and do as @bravenel suggested, set the time to just a few minutes in the future and see if it works. Then you will know that it works in theory. Add the rest of the lights test it again, if it works there then set it to your 23:00 time.

ok, will do. for the time being - I'll pause the current one I have. thanks again for the help - and I'll update you guys as I see more...

ok - just looping everyone in on the experiment last night. i disabled the 2300 room lighting scenario - and created a new one from scratch to trigger at 2305.

here are the events in the log:

you can ignore the 23:15 item - i enabled a "scene" at 2315 with the same parameters as the room lighting item - so the lights would actually dim while we worked on the room lighting issue.