Room lighting (Motion Off Disabled) issue

I have, IMO, a fairly basic room lighting automation that I recently move from the old motion lighting app. But, it seems that randomly, usually in the evening, it flags that 'motion off disabled has been triggered', without anyone touching any switch?"!?"

Any ideas?

You prevent turning off the lights if there is any level change to the "Hall". You may want to look at the device Events for the Hall to see if the level changes during evenings where you have experienced the issue. You may be able to more easily pin down the time it happens if you have the logging turned on in RL, it may include a log entry when the level change occurs, which you could then cross-check with the device events for that time. If that makes sense... :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah that's the issue, there is no level change. This usually happens when nobody is downstairs (it's the downstairs hall), the cat triggers the motion sometimes. Unless the cat has learnt how to operate a dimmer dial then there's something amiss. I'll see what the log says next time it happens.

1 Like

It may also pay to check what other apps (or even external systems) use the "Hall" or any child devices, if it is some kind of group device representing a room or collection of lights.

1 Like

I'm still stuck with this. There is nothing altering the level yet it still says

When this shows, the level is the same as when the App turns it on.

Does anyone know what this option does, it's not in the help page?

My assumption is that if checked, will ignore level changes made through z wave commands. Like if I asked Google to adjust the light to 20%.

1 Like

I was thinking more like it only keeps on if the current level is different to what it was turned on at. Let's say the App turns on at 30, you adjust to 50, then 30, in which case it will turn off even though there has been a level change. I'm hoping so anyway as that would fix my bug/issue!

@bravenel please could you shed some light on this :smile:

That same "use physical only" also exists in other things and works the way I described. For example, in my bathroom it's segmented into 2 areas. One with the shower/toilet and one with the sink. I have 2 motion sensors, one for each area. There are 2 lights, one for each area. So vanity sensor and switch and shower sensor and switch.

Both sensors can turn on the shower light, but the vanity light can turn off from no motion independently. But if I leave the room and turn off the vanity light, I want the shower light to turn off too. So I check the "Physical only" option. That way when the vanity light turns off from no motion, it doesn't turn the light off if I'm in the shower. I learned this the hard way btw :slight_smile:

So if you choose to use physical level only, the prevent motion inactive from turning off will only prevent it if someone physically used the switch to change it. With the default behavior of off, it should take the hub changing the level through a zwave commend into account.

EDIT: I should add this depends on the device reporting the physical events and digital events separately and the driver for it doing something with that.

Once you change the level, changing it back won't undo that. The only way to clear the disablement is to turn the light off. I will look at whether there could be an option to clear the disablement if the level returned to the activation level.

2 Likes

Can you see anything wrong with my setup in the first post? I'm getting "motion off disabled" regularly when there has been no level change via any means.

You have to turn on logging for the app and show that. Disablement only happens when there is a level set that is different than the original activation level. Filter the logs to show the Room Lights app and the device in question. Something is causing it.

Also, look at and possible post the device events, from the Events button on the device page.

Is that debug logging? The only control of the Hall lights we have is a Hue Dial, Alexa (voice) and Google Home (app). This issue happens late evening usually when nobody is awake (except the cat)

No, text description text logging for the device. But, look at the device events, from the Events button on the device page. For this particular feature of Room Lights to kick in, there must be a level event on the device, for some level other than the one set in Room Lights.

I tried it over the last day with "Use physical level only" on

Now when the App turns on the lights at 20%, if I increase it to 100% via a Hue Dial it then still turns off after inactive motion. Is that correct?

The same test but with "Use physical level only" off

That matches the behavior I described above.

1 Like

I got the logs showing what is happening

'Group Hall' (Hall in HE) is a Hue group containing 2 lights, 'Hall Light 1' and 'Hall Light2'. Hall is only used by this App

At present, 'Hall Light 1' and 'Hall Light2' are not used directly in HE.

In the log you can see the App correctly activating at the bottom and setting the level to 30. Further up though there are some entries setting the level to 15% then 30% and what is weird is that is shows only 2 lines for 'Group Hall' and 'Hall Light 1', no log entry for 'Hall Light 2' like what is logged when the App activates. I have no idea what is setting these levels.

I'm going to try using 'Hall Light 1' and 'Hall Light2' under 'Devices to Automate' rather than 'Hall'

Still the same result when using 'Hall Light 1' and 'Hall Light2' directly rather than the Hall group

As you can see, the time that the level change is milliseconds after the App activates, the level change must be coming from the Room Lighting App.

No, it's not, unless you are specifically referencing those devices in Room Lights (which you said you were not). This appears to be something related to Hue groups.

I am, see my last post, I switched to using the 2 lights directly rather than the Hall group

Please post the entire setup page for the Room Lights you are now testing.

1 Like