Room Lighting: Activate command not force-turning off devices HE thinks are off

New to Room Lighting but I have a bug I can easily recreate:

1. I created a one-light "Room" with an old Z-Wave light switch
  2. In the table, I set the Activation for the switch to be turned Off, like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-25 121010

1. Under "Means to Activate Lights"/"Additional Options", I check the "Command devices on/off" irrespective of reported state (Force)" and check Force for the device:

1. "Bonus Room East Spots" is an old first generation Z-Wave device that does not report status, so while the device is ON, Hubitat thinks the device is off:

Screenshot 2024-02-25 121557

1. I click Activate.

What should happen: Bonus Room East Spots should be turned off by force
What happens: Nothing

I have a number of Room Lighting scenes that turn off lights when activated (Watching a movie, Going to bed, etc) and several of my lights stay on because of this bug.

Am I doing something wrong or is this expected behavior? Ideas for workaraounds?

1 Like

Do the lights work correctly from the device page? What do the RL app logs and light device logs & events show?

I really doubt this will help at all in this particular situation, but in RL, I always use the most basic "Type" I can for every device -- in this case, I'd change it from Dimmer to Switch (since you're not doing any dimming here).

That'll remove the "Off" and "Level" columns since they aren't applicable here.

Yes, lights work just fine in any other scenario. If I check the "Off" column, this light forces off just fine when "Turn Off" command is issued.

It's defintely not a Z-Wave issue. I think the Hubitat algorithm is skipping these "already off" devices on an activate, even when instructed to force.

I'd try using the switch attribute as suggested above. You can see what Hubitat believes is happening by looking at the logs.

I do not see this behavior with my all off Room Lighting instance. It sends the off commands again even if I hit the Turn Off button twice within a few seconds of each other. Try selecting "Activate even if partially Activated" and see if that helps. I would also remove the Indicator for Scene Set as well.

Just tried the changing the device to a switch:

Screenshot 2023-03-01 104636

And no change. The light remained on. Here's all that's in the logs:

Screenshot 2024-02-26 112235

Same here. If I enable this device for "Off" commands, then it turns off just fine. The issue is that I need the light to turn off with the Activate command as I have large scenes that turn on some lights and turn off others.

I also tried these two options and the device is still not turning off. :frowning:

It looks like a possible issue. What do the device logs show? @bravenel is the one to address any issue.

Nothing for the device. That was the entire log for the Activation.

OK, let Bruce chime in.

1 Like

The device is off, and your activation is to turn it off. So nothing happened. If the device is not reporting off correctly (evidently), then there's a device issue. The Force option doesn't really have anything to do with this. Room Lights won't send an off command to a device that is currently off. If that's really what you want to do, you could use one of the rule apps to do it.

Why is the device not reporting on? What happens when you toggle the device with the little circle o the left side of the table?

Could you expand on this a bit? It seems to contradict the documentation:

This option is used when there are devices that do not reliably report their on or off state. Ordinarily, Room Lights will not Activate a light that has reported it is on, nor Turn Off a light that has reported it is off. However, when a device doesn't report reliably, this may cause problems. Selecting this option causes another column of checkboxes to become available in the Devices to Automate Table, called "Force". If the Force box is checked for a device, that device will be Activated or Turned Off irrespective of its reported state.

1 Like

This device is an old first generation Z-Wave device and doesn't report status. When I click on the little red circle, the light comes on but the current status remains off.

Screenshot 2024-02-27 080500

The only log entry is this:

Screenshot 2024-02-27 080604

I agree with @dcaton1220 that a force should force both ons and offs during an activate. That would certainly solve my issue.

I have put this in as a fix, for Force to actually force an off command.

6 Likes

Bruce, that's fantastic. Thanks everyone for your feedback and help. Love Hubitat and the community. :+1:

1 Like

This is what i was talking about, the same issue in motion and mode lighting app...
and the bunch of nonsense that room lighting imports.

Amazing how providing requested information including logs gets questions answered and issues resolved.

6 Likes

I don’t think you ever explained what you were talking about in your recent posts regarding room lighting.

2 Likes