Roku TV and Xbox one power up

Anyone know how I can implement this script using hubitat to power on my Xbox? I have a rule setup already to change my TV's input to the xbox one. I would like to take it further and actually power up my xbox when the TV input changes.

I appreciate any and all input on the most efficient way to to do this of course.

Got an Alexa?

I use Hubitat and Alexa to turn off my Xbox

1 Like

No I have google hubs. I do have two harmony hubs but I'm really looking to implement something in Hubitat directly so I can use rules etc. I know Harmony hub can do this but I really like looking at keeping it as clean as I can and only use Hubitat for anything I can automate for simplicity.

Venture into the developer world. Looks like a simple websocket call. :grin:

1 Like

If you're like me and only have a slightly more than rudamentary understanding of all this stuff, then trying to think of how to write a websockets driver from scratch probably has you crossed too. But, there might be hope! Do you have a raspberry pi or other device that you use as a server for anything on Hubitat? Like Assistant Relay or something like that? There's a program called OmniThing that was written by the son of the guy who wrote Hubduino. It works on a Raspberry Pi and as an action of the switch or button device you can add to it, you can run shell commands. So, you could run the xbox-remote-power.sh bash script from hubitat through that device. Might be worth a look.

2 Likes

Thanks I would love to get there for sure but still learning. I come from a technical background but programming and scripting always trips me up.

@Ryan780 thanks a lot I do have a PI but don't use it currently. I may have to venture in this direction though. I run windows/Ubuntu servers in VMware currently. I did find eventghost for windows it looks promising but still trying to wrap my head around it and learn how to use it. It does appear you can use scripting in that program as well. I have so many different servers running now I really want to depend on the hub as much as possible. I know that is not always possible though. I just like to keep it as clean as possible. I built all the systems and it's getting so out of control I sometimes have to wonder what I need to check when something goes wrong.

Lol, sounds to familiar.

At one point i had around 13 VM's running at home. I found that outside of working in IT I was also supporting my home.

I guess i'm not much better just yet, but I'm down to 4 VM's in total.

I think if anything, the stuff that chews up time is home automation really.

I'm hoping soon I can just leave things alone and let them do their thing.

1 Like

I use Harmony Hub. Works well with HE. I also use @ogiewon Dan's Harmony Hub code. I think this combo is easiest and so far has been bullet proof.

YF

1 Like

lol Same here brother been in IT for about 15 years now and it's so easy to justify spinning up another VM at any point. I use them to learn new programs and implementations all the time. The wife and my kids hate when I go playing around with things I have been known to take down the internet for hours or kill our plex server out and have to rebuild from scratch which can take sometime of course bringing it all back online. My son started streaming a little over a year ago 5 days a week so I don't play around as much as I use to and honestly I have neglected my network for sometime to keep from impacting his stream.

1 Like

Yeah I have an extra harmony hub and may have to go this route in the end I have so many hubs in our living room already not sure how the wife will feel about adding another hub though.

Is it supported by Google Assistant? You could setup a Google Assistant Relay server on a Pi and then send ON and OFF commands silently to it that way. No need to own any Google devices. Then you can use Google Assistant Relay to control a whole lot of other things that aren't directly supported by HE too. It's a very handy tool to have available. You can use it for powering on an off any device that is supported by Google Assistant (except for a Google device oddly) and it can even control door locks like August with their WiFi bridge for example, or a Nest Lock, or Google Nest Alarm system, etc. that are not directly supported by HE

1 Like

I get that....

I redid my network less then a year ago. Funny, I'm sending out my Netgate for an RMA today.

Anyhow, I ended up installing a network rack, patch panel, Cisco Switch, UPS, and running cables around the house.

It's been damn stable minus the Netgate device I have.

Yesterday I had to spin up a pfsense VM and build it out. So now my VM is acting as a router/firewall while this unit is being shipped out for repair.

Urgh!

1 Like

Another great reason for Google Assistant Relay. Just tuck away the Pi in a closet..

1 Like

I will have to look and see if it is supported by google home I know someone mentioned Alexa. I do you GAR already and thanks to you learned you can send silent commands to control devices outside of the Hubitat realm. I use these now very cool and appreciate the tip @SmartHomePrimer its been a real life saver in simplifying my life honestly.

1 Like

I have all devices in my media center controlled by Harmony. I use Google mini for voice commands to trigger Harmony rules and control individual devices. I have not had to mess with the rules once built except when I change out devices. I check and do updates periodically. That's about it.

YF

1 Like

lol yeah I use Ubiquiti router and AP's been wanting to upgrade my POE switch to a ubiquiti poe switch. Been using it for about 3 years now and it is rock solid. Although we have had the occasional hiccup when my son is streaming with him dropping still not figured that one out. He swapped streaming software awhile back and that seemed to resolve this issue. At that time he was streaming from xbox directly but has swapped to PC recently (last few weeks) and the issue seems to of returned. We never have internet issues outside of his stream time though so it has to something with the software he uses for sure.

Doesn't look like it is. Weak. If Microsoft isn't going to support Cortana for home users anymore, they really need to get their ■■■■ together and stop leaving their customers high and dry.

2 Likes

Have you met Microsoft? :confounded:

3 Likes

Some days I wish I never had.

1 Like