Robot Vacuums... What Cleans Up Your Mess?

Deebot OZMO 937. It’s quiet and does the job I need it to. It was inexpensive at $300 CAD, but still has LiDAR and their latest mapping software. Battery life is plenty for the space it cleans (226 sq/ft).

Integration is via Homebridge plug-in and virtual switches back to Hubitat and Alexa. But, this does require Ecovacs cloud. It all works though, and has been reliable.

1 Like

I have a roborock s5Max and it is great we only ever get out the old hoover when we are doing a quick spot clean.

I have it integrated with Hubitat so that when the house is empty it will clean, if we come home before its finished it will dock so we never see it.

We are more that happy with its hoovering and mopping performance we are manly LVT with a few rugs.

Can you elaborate a bit? I would love to know if there is a straightforward scheme before I start down the Rube Goldberg path.

We have a deebot T9. Works great. I'm even surprised at the mopping function which we run occasionally. Just need to remember to close doors to carpeted rooms when mopping.
My only gripe with the T9 is the multi-map function.
because we have a split level house, when we move it to the 2nd map and back again it gets lost and confused occasionally.

As for automation, I have it linked in node red and Run it on a time schedule when we are home. If we are away it won't run, as I presuming it will set off the alarm - not that I have tested it!

1 Like

I would be interested in this as well

@Hatallica @tanneronline

If I understand the prerequisites correctly, this involves running a server to integrate. That may be a bit more involved than my rudimentary needs.

If you want to communicate with many of these, you’re going to need to use their cloud services anyway. So if you’re an Alexa user, one option is to trigger the cleaning cycles with Alexa routines that you activate with a virtual switch that also appears as a contact and/or motion sensor to Alexa. There are multiple posts here that explain how to do that.

Resurrecting this post to see if there are any new developments in this space/product.

I'm looking for a robo vac that will let me map out its cleaning areas, but DOES NOT CONNECT TO THE CLOUD. It could communicate locally via wifi (with it's IP blocked from internet access) to a phone or computer if needed. Obviously I would prefer that it be able to connect to Hubitat, but at this point I would just be happy to have one that allows mapping without a cloud connection.

Can't say I have stepped into this space yet... Nothing to do with the responses here.... Just no driving need TBH... Can only be the silence from major brands that suggests the likely outcome is that brands have continued down the safe path of enhancements at the edges... That said without any research....

The only suggestion I could make would be to find some brand / model that at least supports local control, even with cloud connections part of the mix.... not ideal I would agree, but can at least get you started in the space while the companies catch up and offer a genuine local option.

@sburke781 - I've got a Eufy that remains unconnected to the internet. It dutifully puts out a wifi signal that I can see, but that is not connected to anything and which I've never set up. Not even sure what options connecting provides. I just turn it on and it randomly roams, bumping into things and going another directions. Its fairly quiet, very short so it can get under things, and its existence spurs household members to keep stuff off the floor.
I'd just really like to have one that lets me map the room layout and proceeds to dutifully vac the entire room methodically, rather than randomly, and lets me decide which rooms to vac on any particular day, preferably via Hubitat, all without requiring me to send my houseplan and vac schedule to others...

1 Like

Only based on my prior experience with other smart devices, like Kasa plugs, a Bond bridge and Chromecasts, the WiFi SSID these devices make available are really just there to facilitate the initial connection of the device to your main WiFi network. If you have ever searched for a new devices, temporarily connected to it, selected your WiFi network, entered the password and then needed to connect back onto your main WiFi, then it is using this very common technique.

That said, the local Kasa integration is able to bypass the cloud connectivity and communicate locally. Not sure how easy it would be to do in every case...

Still, nice option to raise where you just let it randomly roam the house, that may suit some other users as well.

We have 2 Eufy's but honestly, I've kind of given up on them at this point. Why you ask? 1st 1 of our 2 dogs is a GSD.... 'nuff said there. 2nd we have kids. Kids leave everything on the floor. Nerf darts and legos are vac stoppers. Balloon ribbons or similar make the vac make lots of noise. Pretty much anything that has to do with the kids will stop the damn things. Oh what did you say? Teach my kids to pick up after themselves? Look here Karen, my kids are 5 and 11. The fact that I've not gone to prison for filicide is a god damned miracle... If you can come over my house and teach these little gorillas from slinging their own poo and pick up after yourself? Well I will work 2 full time jobs just to pay you...

1 Like

My name's not Karen... :wink: :grin:

1 Like

Late to the part, but we were gifted an Roomba s9. It's pretty cool, but not a fit for our house. We've got 4 dogs that are always leaving their toys and bones everywhere.

Having to pick things up before vacuuming sort of defeats the purpose of a robot vacuum imho. Quite often it doesn't empty often enough, and when it returns to the base to empty itself, a clump of dog hair clogs the base and needs user intervention.

On that note, the bags are so small I can fill one in a few days.

I've taken to just using it in certain rooms and manually vacuuming the rest of the house. I don't think I'd ever buy one of these robot vacuums for our house.

Without kids or dogs, it would be fine.

Really Karen GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

2 Likes

That said with the dogs, we have a dyson v10 stick that is fantastic...

2 Likes

We have a Shark AV1010AE IQ, the hardware is OK but the software is absolutely terrible and Shark make it worse with each update. There is a Hubitat integration for it by the looks of it - not tested this. It's not great on carpets but it really picks up a lot of dust and pet hair.

The mapping has been severely downgraded, I think like Sonos is suing Google and Google are taking away features from Nest products, Shark is being sued for patent infringement and maybe that's affecting them. Shark support are also really bad, so I came here looking for a different vacuum that would integrate with Hubitat

1 Like

So do we. What a pile of :poop: it is. We bought the Roomba s9+ and Bravajet combo about 6 months ago and love it. It rarely needs any human intervention and cleans better than any of our previous robot vacs. I am using Home Assistant and the Home Assistant Device Bridge to integrate it with HE.

2 Likes