Roadside mailbox visual flag; Thirdreality switch as battery powered actuator

From a comment I posted a day or two ago...

I tested a TR Version 1 in place and it never missed a signal (V1 has a metal plate just below the pushbutton that was supposed to improve signal reception). I drilled a pinhole in the little arm that sticks out of the rear of the switch when on. For linkage, I used 10-pound braided fishing line. The 'flag' was a steel washer. Works! The washer drops a distance of 20mm.

All I need to do now is 3d print an enclosure with a shield to block seeing the flag when the switch is off.

3 Likes

You might want to check to see if this violates postal law before doing it. There's laws around mailboxes, and a flag usually means "there's outgoing mail to pick up". Having an automated flag for "there's inbound mail to collect" notifications is probably illegal.

1 Like

Feds are coming to get you for this? Why not?

I have a motion sensor deep in the mailbox.
Used Z-wave because it had better reception than zigbee.
Pushover sends me a notice.

Yeah, I was askedabout it during the pandemic. Actually, it was the contact sensor in the big package dropbox located beside the garage that caught the mailman's eye & interest. The sensor in the door of the mailbox is particularly obvious but it had been there a few months before questioning about the dropbox. With hindsight, I agree that the sensors look like they could be booby traps. Basically, I think the carriers haven't cared and let me slide.

The TR flag could be mounted somewhere away from the mailbox but still visible when I pull in the driveway. I'll beg forgiveness and do that if they grumble about it.

I have a motion sensor in my package bin as well.

The Zooz sensor s on a magnet, so it gets knocked off once in a while, but if there's an issue with the battery, or whatever, it can be brought into the warm house.

It does look a little like a camera though.

Then again, now I get a picture of my package at the bottom of the bin from FedEx or UPS, maybe both, lol.

Yeah, it should be 100% fine so long as it isn't a literal flag on a mailbox.

If it looks like this, but isn't signaling "mail to pick up" you'll probably get in trouble:

In looking up an image search to 'steal' for this post, I noted some neat purely mechanical 'mail alert' flag things too: Mailbox Delivery Notification Alert Signal Flag - Etsy

Not that someone selling them on Etsy makes it OK or legal to actually put that on a mailbox. But still neat.

The HE community has been looking for a battery-powered zb/zw nightlight since forever. I think one could be cobbled together around a TR switch.