RM populating Thermostat Scheduler False actions under True

@bravenel I am using thermostat scheduler mode-based temps. When trying to use RM to change these, the settings I put into the False actions are getting populated in the True actions.

Steps to reproduce:

Add desired settings to True actions (works fine):

Attempt to add desired settings to False actions (adds to True instead):

After tapping Done, no values are populated:

After tapping Done again, my value of 78 is populated under the True actions along with the original 76:

Here's some settings screenshots, let me know if you need anything else:

1 Like

LMAO...you read my mind. I was just posting to see if you grabbed the settings. I literally had it all typed and was ready to hit save. :slight_smile:

Looks like it's a display issue but actually building it right. Very good catch!!

1 Like

It looks that way, but I'm not sure if it's actually working. I'm new to Thermostat Scheduler though, so not sure if I'm looking in the right places.

Changed times in the rule above to "Between 9:37AM and 9:38AM" for testing. Rule fired at the desired times:

Even though the rule fired to change the TS cooling set point to 76, then back to 78, the thermostat device is still showing a cooling set point of 82, and nothing shows for 9:37 or 9:38 in the Events tab.

If I look under Thermostat Scheduler events, nothing shows for 9:37 or 9:38 there either.

Yeah...might be a bigger issue. I'm sure they'll be able to find it. You did all the leg work tracking it down. That's sometimes the harder part.

1 Like

I guess this brings up another question for @bravenel

If I change TS mode-based set points, does it send the updated temps to the thermostat immediately, or does it wait until the next mode change? Say I'm in Home mode, and existing cooling set point is 78. I have my rule to change the Home set point to 76 at 6:30AM. The rule fires at 6:30AM, and updates TS set point for Home mode to 76. Since I'm already in Home mode, does that change get pushed to the thermostat immediately, or does it wait until the next time mode changes to Home?

Tested again, and can confirm that even though the True/False actions look funky, TS is updated correctly.

Home/Cool was set to 78, rule became true, refreshed page and now see 76:

Rule became false, refreshed again, and Home/Cool is back to 78:

Still nothing showing in the TS Events tab.

BUT...these changes did not get pushed to the thermostat. Going back to the question in my previous post, is this intentional? I'd think that when making changes to the setpoints in TS that you'd want an immediate update to the thermostat device, and not have to wait until the next time the modes changed.

This bug has been found and fixed. Will be in next release. And, it was only a UI problem.

RM sends the updated TS settings whenever it is that the rule runs its action. That has nothing to do with what the TS controlled thermostat does at that time. All these actions are doing is changing the settings of TS. So in your example, changing the setting of TS happens at 6:30. But TS has already set the thermostat for Home mode at that point, so it won't do anything other than update its settings. If you want to actually change the setpoint of the thermostat, you'd use Set Thermostat Cooling Setpoint (or Heating) to do that. These are separate actions from changing TS settings actions.

So one of the limitations then of TS is you have to either pick time or mode, but can't use a combination of both. Any plans to add this in the future? I primarily use modes, but want a time override on weekday mornings when home. I currently do this with 5 separate rules in RM...was hoping to use TS to simplify everything but if it doesn't support mixed modes/times then I can't use it. I've thought about adding a 4th mode for Home Weekday Mornings, but then I have to check my other 200 rules to make sure I don't break anything.

There is an update coming to TS that may get you closer. Next release. Mixing modes and times would be like crossing the streams....

1 Like

Even adding something to TS to send updated values to the thermostat at the time they are changed rather than waiting until the next mode change or whatever would work, at least from my end user standpoint. This would negate the need to mix times and modes in TS itself, and allow RM to handle the overrides.

You can send the value directly to the thermostat in the same rule, so why would you need TS to do that?

If RM sends the value to TS and TS updates the thermostat, I can set up a simple rule that says if time is between 6:30 and 8:30, set TS Home Cool setpoint to 76, else set TS Home Cool setpoint to 78.

If I send directly from RM, I have to add in logic to see what mode the house is in, so I can't have a simple true/false rule. If Mode is Home and time is between 6:30 and 8:30 works, but the inverse doesn't because the false actions are different depending on if I flip to False due to time or due to mode change. This is why I have 5 rules to handle what TS can almost handle on it's own. From my standpoint, having TS do 95% of the lifting and then having a single rule to override Home/Cool setpoint is ok, but if that's not possible then I'm pushed back into keeping my 5 existing rules. That's fine...it works ok, but I'm always trying to find ways to use the purpose-built apps when possible since it's cleaner.

I'm missing what your logic is. Could you just lay out the desired logic, ignoring how you get it done?

Heating (simple, no issues here):
Mode Home - setpoint 72
Mode Night - setpoint 72
Mode Away - setpoint 68

Cooling:
Mode Home, time 6:30AM - 8:30AM M-F - setpoint 76
Mode Home, all other times - setpoint 78
Mode Night - setpoint 78
Mode Away - setpoint 82

And what is the logic for Home mode? Times, Away??

Modes are presence based. For sleeping status, I have virtual "Sleep" switches for each of us.

Home - at least one person is present and not sleeping
Night - everyone who is present is sleeping
Away - everyone is not present

You can do it with two rules:

Rule 1:
Conditions: Time between 6:30 and 8:30, Mode is Home
Rule: Time between 6:30 and 8:30 AND Mode is Home
Action for true: set thermostat cooling setpoint to 76

Rule 2:
Conditions: Time between 8:30 and 6:30, Mode is Home
Rule: Time between 8:30 and 6:30 AND Mode is Home
Action for true: set thermostat cooling set point to 78

TS would have 78 for Home mode cooling setpoint.

Those rules are going to fire at 6:30, 8:30 and whenever mode becomes Home. Notice they don't touch TS.

If mode becomes home between 6:30 and 8:30, both RM and TS would send different setpoints to the thermostat. Which one wins?

OK, then don't even define Home in TS.

Mode becomes Home at 6:00, rule 2 is true, sets to 78. At 6:30, Rule 1 becomes true, sets it to 76.

1 Like

Yep that would work. I still like the idea of managing everything in TS and then doing a single true/false temporary override from RM, but this is better than what I have now. Thanks for the help.