RM Notification Sentence Structure?

Is there a way to change the structure of a sentence used in a Rule Machine notification message?

Specifically, I would like the ability to put the device name somewhere other than at the end of the message. So, one of my notification rules has a message that looks like this:

Notify [Pushover Notifications] 'Opening detected by ' [device]

for a notification message for a door or window. I would prefer it if the sentence were something like:

Notify [Pushover Notifications] 'The ' [device] ' is open'

Because this is (apparently) driven from the configuration menu, I don't see a way to change it.
Additionally, I don't know if the syntax would be valid.

It's really a nit for a text message but it would provide more flexibility to build a natural sounding sentence for spoken audio output.

I would NOT say this needs to be a high-priority change. In your copious spare time . . .

Thank you!

3 Likes

I would love to see this feature added to RM as well. As you said, not much of an issue for a text message...but for TTS, it would sound much nicer. Of course, you can create a rule for each device with a natural sounding TTS phrase, but that’s a bit tedious to create and maintain.

@bravenel - any thoughts?

2 Likes

No promises, but I will look at it. I'm aware of the "variable" approach used in other apps. So I would assume that placing something like %device% in the message string would solve this need.

Yes / no ??

6 Likes

That's what I was hoping for! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, that would work. Thanks for considering this request.

2 Likes

That was exactly what I was thinking. That definitely would work for what I had in mind.

Thank you!

1 Like

Yes Please!! :smiley:
Would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

+1 for this as well!

1 Like

This feature will be in the next release (1.1.3). It will support both %device% and %value% in messages, giving the device name and/or event value of the event that caused the rule or trigger to run.

@denise.grider, @ogiewon, @Eric.C.Miller, @stephack

9 Likes

Thanks Bruce!

Thank you Bruce!

Awesome! I had the same thought but never communicated it. Thanks Bruce.

Fabulous! Thank you!

@bravenel, will all the built-in apps support these tags eventually? I've moved a lot of rules to Button Controller and HSM.

Yes, it will be in HSM, and could be in Button Controller if that really makes sense. Not sure about the latter, as there are no external devices, just the button device.

1 Like

How would you use this in Button Controller? There is no external device other than the button device itself. ??

I have set up Button Controller to work with my Xiaomi Magic Cubes, on the different cube actions (which are translated to button presses) I have my speakers speak a TTS. Right now I just hardcode "Magic Cube 1" in the TTS.

So you'd do this?

"Magic Cube %value%" ??

Not seeing how that really helps you, since you have to enter the message for each button.

I would enter "%device% shaken", which would say "Magic Cube 1 shaken". Repeat for each button with a different phrase for what was done with the cube. I have three magic cubes, so have named them with the number on the end. Right now only Magic Cube 1 does announcements.

I wouldn't die if Button Controller couldn't use the tags :slightly_smiling_face:. Really would like it in HSM though, I announce a lot through that app.

My point is that you have to enter a message for each side of each cube anyway, so this isn't doing much for you.

It will be in HSM.

I'm just not seeing the point in Button Controller. When you go to type the message, it says just above what button of what device the message is for, so it's not like you don't know which one you're setting up.