RM Disable Boolean Clarification needed

Continuing the discussion from Rule Machine User Guide:

Is True or False the boolean to disable the rule? So True = Disable and False = Enable?

Scroll down a couple more "inches" :smiley:

This setting allows the ruleā€™s private Boolean variable to act as an enable / disable selector. If this option is selected, then the rule is enabled when its private Boolean is true, and is disabled when its private Boolean is false. Other rules may set the ruleā€™s private Boolean. The private Boolean variable is initialized to true when a rule is created, so when selecting this option to use private Boolean to disable, the rule will start out enabled. When the rule is disabled, the rule will do nothing, all outstanding timers are ignored.

1 Like

Ok. So how do you know what the boolean is currently set to? I am having problems with rules running or not running as expected.

Fundamentally, it is whatever you set it to.

If your Rule has ā€œSet Private Booleanā€ to be True, then it becomes true.

You can also choose to ā€œforce runā€ a Ruleā€¦ having the same effect as passing the Boolean.

Replace Set Private Boolean with Run Rule Action.

I use that where I have a patio light react to a Door sensorā€¦ On 100% if Open then 40% when closed Plus do a Run Rule Action to a ā€œpart Bā€ Rule. That rule Triggers on the First Rule and then turns the light off after 10 mins with the usual Cancel thrown inā€¦ so that when the patio door is opened again within the 10 mins, it starts over again.

1 Like

I'm a bit lost about this feature... Will selecting "set private booleanS" set ALL my private booleans that I have created in Rule Machine to either true/false at once?

No. You have to pick the Boolean... or more specifically pick the Rule or Rules, including the choice of "this Rule" Then you have to pick true or false.

You don't create Private Booleans. They are built in 'from the factory' and free of charge, :smiley: added to every rule during creation and initialized to True. That way, when you enable a Private Boolean, nothing at all happens.

Don't confuse them with Global Variables.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.