Ring Lighting - Floodlight control/status from Hubitat

I have a full range of Ring devices integrated with Hubitat using the virtual drivers. Once connected they work quite reliably and I use them for a variety of things, and I recently added a couple of floodlights with a Ring Bridge to the mix. For the motion feedback from them I have routines in Alexa controlling virtual contacts in Hubitat, and those work well. And while I can check and control their lights directly from Alexa, I can't seem to find a way to easily bring that feedback or capability into Hubitat (Alexa routines seem to identify only the motion capability but not the lights?) I've run across a few other solutions which appear to involve additional technologies in the middle, but I do not wish to involve any additional components other than Alexa and Hubitat. Periodic polling from the virtual driver is not the direction I want to go either.
Is what I want a pipe dream, or can it be a reality?

1 Like

I can control my Ring Floodlight via Hubitat by using this virtual switch with contact driver:

https://github.com/SebastienViel/HubitatVirtualSwitchWithContact/blob/main/VirtualSwitchWithContact

It can be turned on in Hubitat and since it is seen as both a contact sensor and a switch in Alexa, it can be used to trigger a routine that turns on the light.

Sure, makes sense. I do that with other devices too.
But is there a way to send status back and notify Hubitat when the light comes on through some other means? What happens if something turns off the light outside of Hubitat -- I assume the virtual switch still thinks it is on?

Unfortunately, I don’t know of a way to start a routine in Alexa based on a light turning on, so until there is a way to do that, this is a one-way automation…

1 Like

So to resurrect an old topic here, has anyone hacked into their ring floodlight and added a zigbee or z-wave contact relay to the lights?

Maybe this is what you are after?