Ring Alarm Motion Sensor G2

Removed the sensor, excluded it. Waited a half an hour, then paired it again.
Still same issue: the motion sensor is detected as the contact sensor, and no configure button again.

Not fixed it seems

Forgive me if I missed it, but you say it was detected as a contact sensor, did you manually change the driver to the correct one after that and hit configure?

Yeah, manualy changed the driver, but no configure button.

That’s strange because if I use it to create a virtual device I get a Configure button.

I can do the same with the virtual version, but the actual motion sensor will not display the button.

@bcopeland, any idea what could be causing this?
The device is in range, keeps reporting battery life, but motion stops after a day.
Moved the device over to HA, and was stable for three days. Moved it back to Hubitat, and same issue again.
When I set it manually to the V1 version of the driver, I do have the configure button.

I have a similar problem with all of my ring G2 Motion Sensors - i.e., they stop after a few days. I see that fanmanrules' are on version 1.13 of the firmware - mine are on version 1.09 of the firmware. I was hoping that the updated firmware might be at least a bit better. Anybody know how to get updated firmware from Ring?

The only way I know of is to connect them to a ring alarm hub..

I thought that might be the case. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with a ring alarm hub, so I may be left with the next best solution - sell them off to someone with one. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't let you resell ring items (at least not this one) on Amazon.

@bcopeland or any other member of staff, is a fix underway for EU ring devices?

@bcopeland I'm experiencing the same issue, works for a couple of days (detecting motion and reports battery status) then just stops responding and detecting motion.

I would say same issues as on 2.2.8

EU version with 1.13 firmware.

I have this issue too. I don't think its a Hubitat driver issue as I'm using my own custom driver. Same issue whether S2 connected or not. They start working again after the battery is removed / re-inserted suggesting it is the sensor that is locking up, not Hubitat -- the fact that they restart after battery removal / re-insertion points to a Ring firmware issue. I've just about given up with these sensors (I've listed all 6 of mine on ebay). I had thought these sensors were ideal - love the FLIRS capability allowing you to update parameters without having to worry about a wake-up, but they have been a total disappointment. Zigbee for all my future sensors (my super-cheap Sonoff motion sensors never fail)!

I think this is a Hubitat issue.
When I connect the sensor to my Home Assistant (running a z-wave stick) the sensor keeps responding just fine.

1 Like

Perhaps a combination of problems. I can say for sure that the sensors do lock up - even the light on the front that flashed when there is motion stops responding. Perhaps Hubitat is sending something that causes the lockup (some of my HomeSeer switches / dimmers also experience the occasional lockup) - I thought it might be S2 Supervision issues, but I excluded all my S2 paired sensors and re-included without S2 and still have issues.

Same with mine, after they lock up the light indicating motions is not responding. They work fine for a couple of days again after battery is re-inserted.

@bcopeland Hi, can you share any insight if this is going to be addressed?

1 Like

Or anyone from @Hubitat_Staff ?

I ended up selling 6 of mine on ebay (I have one still to sell and one Ring repeater), and switched to inexpensive Sonoff Zigbee sensors (you can get them for 3 for $25 on ebay) which have worked perfectly.

I'm 99.99% convinced this is a Ring firmware issue (I think mine were on 1.09 firmware) and there's nothing Hubitat can do for that -- I even went so far as to write my own driver and Supervision S2 handling just to have something to compare against the stock drivers, and they still locked up after a day or so. It also appears that ring only makes firmware updates available via the Ring system, and I found it impossible to contact someone at Ring to get the firmware as an update file.

I have no practical advice as to how you can get the G2 motion sensor to work reliably, but if you need additional motion detectors, I'd suggest the Zigbee type.

fanmanrules wrote previously that the same sensors work without issue in HA. Whatever the issue is it's not present in that environment.

Regarding Sonoff, I have one for testing purposes and it occasionally locks-up in "active" mode. Wouldn't spend my money on those either (although it solves the issue when you trigger it again). Only motion sensor that has worked flawlessly the last 12 months or so is the SmartThings -one.

Indeed, I do not see this issue when I use the same ring motion sensor in HA or Homey.
I do not think this is a firmware issue, as my sensor is on version 1.13, that is newer than the version @jvm33 used.

@bcopeland sayed that his sensors were working like a charm, the US versions of the sensor that is.
Also, removing the sensor rebooting and that joining it again, results in the sensor beeing found as a ring contact sensor v1, and not the motion sensor v2 that it is.
When you manually set it to motion sensor v2, it works for about two dayes, end than stalls.

When I move the same sensor to HA or Homey, it couples instant, is correct and keeps working (tested it for 8 days, then moved it to Hubitat again).

So a logical thing would be that something is wrong in the coupling between the EU version when connecting to Hubitat.

So we need a fix, or say clearly in the certified devices list that only the US version is supported.

nb: it is the lack of further response or debugging requests that is frustrating me a bit.