RGBW Par 38 zigbee/Zwave bulb?

I mistakenly first bought a BR30 bulb. Oops! I'm looking for a rgbw zigbee or Z-Wave par38 bulb and I am shocked that I can't find anything with Google or on Amazon. Any recommendations?

The only par38 RGBW I can find is WiFi not zigbee. and I am not sure if it works with HE or not.

Are you SURE you NEED par38? Did you try the BR30? I did some googling and it looks like you could use the BR30. The biggest difference being the beam angle. Although the BR30 is a bit smaller so you'll have more revel in the socket, depending on the fixture.

Yes the reveal is the problem. The bulb sits deep into the socket and you can see into the ceiling. Maybe someone makes a piece to fill in gap.

I could only find WiFi also.

1 Like

An option? You may be able to remove the trim you have and replace with something like this (depending on the fixture).

Mind if I hop into this thread and ask if anyone knows of a (US) Z-Wave RGBWW recessed light?

This is a very picky thread. :laughing: What's wrong with the dang Sengled Zigbee BR30s that are readily available and work well. gawsh! :rofl:

Not I, all I can find is Zigbee, or WiFi. With 95% being BR30s.

I can understand not wanting Wi-Fi, but why not go with Zigbee? Just curious, no mesh, interference, just cause?

1 Like

I used these to replace all of my can light "bulbs". They work great and have been more reliable than anything else I've tried. They seem to put out a bit more light than the BR30s and have much better color. The color temp will go from 1700-7000K in Hubitat. I did have to update the firmware though.

That's what i bought without checking first and i climbed up on my 10 ft ladder and reached out uncomfortably to swap bulbs (since bulb is directly over sink and I can't get ladder directly underneath it). The smaller BR30 bulb looks like poo. It's too far into the ceiling and you can see around it into the bowels of the ceiling.

I am just going to find a different bulb to swap to an RGBW. I was trying to use this one because its a single bulb directly over kitchen sink and we NEVER turn it on so I was going to put it to use as a notification bulb.

1 Like

Usually the socket can be adjusted up and down to accommodate different sizes of bulbs, by loosening a wing nut and moving the plate the socket it attached to.

1 Like

These Sylvania Smart + look like a decent alt.

@Ken_Fraleigh do you know if these act as repeaters, and if they are any good at it? I don't see any mention of it on their site.

Yes they are repeaters and yes they are good at it. No they are not good repeaters.

Wait, wut?

I have several Sylvania bulbs and they worked OK on Wink, worked great on HE -- until I started adding more motion sensors. I eventually moved them all to a dedicated hub. They have been flawless since the move but they don't play well with others. In other words, typical Zigbee bulbs.

1 Like

Z-Wave associations are a must-have for any new lights I install :slight_smile:

1 Like

Strange. I have the recessed ones and they’ve been great—the A19s are a different story :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I have 9 recessed ones that would drop off of Wink every now and then. It is hit or miss. Everything was solid on my HE for a long time until I started expanding my mesh. I added a bunch of IKEA plugs as repeaters and it helped. Once I added multiple motion detectors in each room is when it broke down again.

They have been solid on the lighting hub.

That’s why I said they were good repeaters and they are not good repeaters. :wink:

2 Likes

This how the bulb above my sink is. If it's not adjustable you could also use an extension like these https://www.amazon.com/DiCUNO-Socket-Extender-Extension-Adapter/dp/B078W6PP3V/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2Y5YN6REE75ZG&dchild=1&keywords=bulb+socket+extender&qid=1593820465&sprefix=bulb+socket+exte%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-2

2 Likes

I love the recessed, but there are two different zigbee chips in play; the older Osram and the newer Sylvania Smart+. The newer ones are much more reliable in my opinion. I’ve never had one of them drop in over two years. The A19 do kinda suck, but even those have been reliable on their own hub and actually are smoother than my Sengleds.

2 Likes

Go Control has a zwave plus BR30 Bulb.

Unfortunately any solution that requires me to add addl hardware won't work. The bulb is directly over sink and my ladder won't straddle the sink and bar so I can't get a ladder within 3 feet. I was barely able to reach out hanging off the ladder to unscrew the bulb and try the new one. So if there's no such thing as a par38 zigbee or Z-Wave rgbw bulb, then I'm going to look to put an rgbw bulb in another location. It's definitely not worth buying a new specialized ladder that could straddle the bar and sink.

Buy a bulb extender. They make them specifically to put shallower bulbs in deeper recessed cans.

1 Like

I agree the Sylvania Smart+ have been rock solid. I have 4 of them in my office and they have never dropped or been slow to respond for a couple of years.....

BUT

I just bought another on Amazon for a hallway and when I installed it, the manufacturer shows as LEDVANCE and it is crap. It drops all the time which is a pain to re-add (essentially flip the breaker) . I even changed the driver to the Generic ZigBee Light (Tamed) thinking maybe it would help but sadly no. I'll be donating this light!