RGBW Lights Strips 'stuck' after Mode change

I have two RGBW light strips: a RGBGenie zigbee controller, as well as an Inovelli.

Whenever someone walks in the room, they turn on 100% white during the day, and a dim red at night.

The problem is that the first time the RGBgenie turns on at night, it's red, but it's 100% level, not dimmed. It even turns on 100% red the second time unless I can interrupt it while it's on, then it goes to the dim red.

In the morning I experience something similar - the first time the Inovelli turns on, it is red. The second time it turns on it's white 100%. So it's almost like the state is 'stuck' until the second time the signal is sent.

The other weird thing is that for the master bath, I have to also turn the strip on (you'll notice I don't have to do that when using white, but I do when using a color, and this only applies for the RGBgenie)

I even had an old device that did something similar: Zooz RGBW Zen31 issues and Motion Lighting Apps issues - help needed Since I saw pretty much the same problems with all three different brands, as well as using simple automation rules, I am guessing this is a hub issue but open to any ideas for troubleshooting.

Can anyone please help me figure out what's going on?

Could you describe your zwave and zigbee mesh networks? How many repeaters? How many end devices?

I have 4 zigbee devices, 17 z-wave and one HE hub.

How many of these are repeaters (line powered) vs end-devices (battery powered)?

The symptoms you are describing are often observed when mesh networks are not very strong.

2 are battery powered, and none of the ones I am talking about are. Both examples are wired motion sensors and wired RGBW controllers. One is 8 feet from the hub, the other is 20 through a wall.

I would really love to get some support on this.

What doesn't make sense to me is that the light turn on immediately. If they were having signal problems, I would assume it would take some time, or maybe sometimes it wouldn't work, but the light turns on immediately always, just turns on too bright.

Also, is it all one message? If the analog transmission of color and level are the same message, then it's most definitely a bug with the hub.

If not, do the protocols have acks? If they do, then it should always work (if it was 2 messages and the second one got dropped, there wouldn't be an ack and the hub would resend).

Are there any logs I can look at from the hub?

Can anyone give suggestions on this one @Hubitat_Staff ?

I don't have either of the devices in question, so I am not sure I can help on that front.

But I can say that I have some generic Zigbee RGBW controllers with very similar rules to yours, and they work fine. They change colors during the day when motion present, dim when motion stops, and at night are bright or dim red. So I think that the hub, rules, (and likely these controllers) are capable of doing what you want.

And you are positive these work fine from the Device settings page every single time? But I suppose the likelihood of two different controllers acting badly the same way are slim.

So that leaves something with the way the rule is triggered or the rule actions.

I would pause this rule, and break it into smaller bits until you get to a point where it fails. You could for example clone this rule, delete everything after the first "IF Mode is Day" and see if that works. If you break the cloned rule, get rid of it, and start again with a fresh clone. Never touch the original rule so you have something to fall back on.

Other than that, I would say you should turn on ALL logging for this rule, trigger it at various times, and post the screenshots of the logs here and hopefully someone can spot an issue. Support will want those too, otherwise there is no way to see what is going on. Once you get screenshots posted, we can tag staff.