Review / perspective on C8 pro

It's actually a proprietary Zigbee profile (Alertme is the name I've seen, though that could just be the OEM; not Zigbee Home Automation 1.2 or Zigbee 3.0 like most devices). However, whatever changes were necessary for the Zigbee 3.0 chip in the new hubs does indeed seem to be the cause for the incompatibility.

1 Like

You aren’t making any sense, perhaps asking for help in a clear and concise manner will get you better results.

1 Like

Prior to 1.2 HA most Zigbee vendors did all sorts of non standard things which made cross compatibility a total nightmare.

@stormprinc if you’re having an internet connectivity problem with your C8 hub and are interested in troubleshooting it, I suggest you start a new thread dedicated to your issue.

5 Likes

I have never had that issue with 6 different Hubitat hubs. My HE hubs have no problem whatsoever staying connected to the Internet.

What type of networking equipment are you using at all of these locations? Perhaps there is a common denominator amongst how they are being deployed/used?

And please do not take this next comment as an attack. You are the one who has come in “guns blazing” for your first post ever. What type of reaction would you expect to receive? :thinking:

7 Likes

Same, I’ve got 3 hubs, 2X C7’s and a C8 - the only real network issue I’ve had was caused by a port sync speed bug on my router which was fixed by Synolgy.

1 Like

Well thanks for helping me make the decision to to dump Hubitat and go with another platform. Frustration with the hubs with constant maintenance and frustration with posting my opinions.

Where are you advertising them for sale?
I may be interested.

2 Likes

You seem preoccupied with getting into arguments.

If you’d like help troubleshooting your issue, it’s available in this forum.

If not, best of luck with your next hub.

8 Likes

I’m sure with your attitude and approach, you’ll be warmly welcomed on any other forum you decide to grace with your presence. :+1:

7 Likes

Reading this thread two hours too late.
Based on the OPs comments I went back and re-read the thread again.

I think you guys are great with your support with an open willingness to help. I don’t understand how the OP felt he was under attack.

Just thought a “Thank you” was in order.

8 Likes

That was not the Original Poster who claimed to be under attack. It was someone new who just created an account a few hours ago to drop in and start complaining, offered no details about their issues, and then claimed we were attacking them. :person_shrugging:

The OP seems quite happy with their C8 Peo hub! :sunglasses:

6 Likes

5 Likes

Thank you for the correction. I knew that but immediately forgot once I started to type.

2 Likes

Wait until you get older, Steve. Your short term memory will become even worse.

3 Likes

Hahaha. I know!!
And wife already complains about my memory. I tell her it’s because she makes my head spin.

1 Like

That isn't quite true. You may not have researched this before purchase, but it isn't any secret, nor is it hidden in or omitted from the documentation.

Iris V1 is extremely old, and uses a unique protocol that no longer exists. There is no other hub on the market that does/did support these other than the Hubitat C3 through C7. These V1 were from about 2012 if I recall. So these are well over a decade old at this point.

Microchip availability and chipset features changes all the time. I am sure that if there was a compatible chip, Hubitat would have used one. But there are no longer chips available that can handle Iris V1, so what do want them to do? Just like there are no longer chips to purchase for Z-wave 300, 500, or at this point even 700 series.

Should Hubitat invest in building a chip foundry to manufacture chips for a decade old protocol where there aren't even devices sold anymore? That just isn't realistic, or practical for a wide variety of reasons.

I can't install Windows 3.1 and therefore can't use Wordperfect on my current desktop, does that mean I should rant and rave against Intel for not supporting that? Or should I just keep my old Pentium 4 around and use that as needed until I upgrade to a modern office suite.

That isn't normal, and is fairly easily diagnosed. It often means you need to set an address reservation in your router, so Hubitat is always at the same IP address.

Other times routers do crap like "optimization" where it does stupid things and bumps devices off the network. Or mesh routers that have multiple internal networks doing crazy routing and making it appear the hub is offline when it got put onto some internal network instead of one that can be accessed across the whole network. Jumbo frames also wreck havoc and bump the hub offline. People get too cute with their networking, and often it backfires like this.

You should take a minute and describe your network layout and equipment, and how you have set up or changed any of the network settings within Hubitat, if applicable.

10 Likes

Just my 2 cents - My Hubitat (C5 I think, as no antennas sticking up) has stayed on-line flawlessly. since getting it a couple years ago, to replace the Wink, may it rest in peace. I am actually getting ready to upgrade to either a C8 Pro or a Homey Pro. I'm kind of torn about which, because my wife doesn't like the interface on the Hubitat, and building a dashboard that works was a pain, so I never finished it.

But Hubitat has way more American devices that work with it, including my Fortrezz Zwave water valve for the house, which the Wink did not. And it works well with our Schlage locks and GE light switches. And since I'm the one who has to add new smart devices, not her, then I want it to be easy, not a bunch of Java scripting.

So yeah, I can agree with posters saying they'd like a new interface, because it isn't as nice as I'd like. But OTOH, Hubitat is really reliable and really compatible.

Lastly, Homey Pro has IR control. That may be the deciding factor, because our shades and gas fireplace would be nice to control without having to find their remotes. But OTOH, Homey Pro has a much less active forum, to get help with something like that, and it costs so much more....

AAGGHH. Hubitat just please make a little nicer but not stupid low contrast interface, and come out with a C9 Pro that does InfraRed control, too!

The next major Hubitat elevation release is coming with a new dashboard system.

99% of Hubitat hubs are in network racks or just not in lounge rooms, so I don’t think there would be any benefit to this.

You are far better off getting a BroadLink IR unit and putting this in your lounge etc. then Hubitat can send the IR commands you want from wherever it lives in your house.

4 Likes

Thanks! This is what I like about Hubitat forum, even though I am not on often. Quick, good answer. Also, it turns out I have a C7, once I looked in my Hub info.

So off to replace it with a C8 Pro and Broadlink Remote!

Thanks again!

2 Likes