[REQUEST] Full Groovy IDE / SDK for Apps/Driver Code Section

The gist of this thread is to promote a full-blown IDE / SDK enhancement to HE's existing "Apps Code" and "Driver Code" editors. That is to say, in lieu of just a blank page where coders are expected to find / copy / paste / import code from existing repositories, it would be sweet if we had a Pro Mode toggle to enable additional features, like:

• Autofill / Autocomplete / HE-specific Extensions assistance
  • Directory of code samples / Libraries / Templates
  • List of allowed Imports / Includes & available APIs
  • Testing tools / Debugger / Optimizer / Minifier
  • Revision management / File I/O methods
  • Integration with GitHub and other repos

I realize this is a huge ask, but sometimes you want to just crank out something from scratch, and as things stand, one is greeted with little more than a Spacing setting, Word Wrap toggle, and brief Keyboard Shortcuts list. Unless you're willing and able to hunt down pre-existing solutions or scour the Docs for refreshers, it's unlikely you'll build something as quickly or as robustly as could be done with more powerful tools.

For the past few years, I've seen a bunch of Hubitat / Groovy devs – pros and n00bs alike – come aboard with perfectly reasonable questions like:
Best way to learn groovy?
Recommend groovy development software?
Which one should I use? Apps Code or Drivers Code
Hubitat Support will not help with custom code. Why?
etc. . . .

And I'd wager that a complete, sandboxed SDK hosted on board the hub would pay tremendous dividends in terms of the inventive Drivers and Apps it helps produce.

Thoughts?!? #unLeashThePower

3 Likes

Others may be excited, but as a long time Apps/Driver developer I'm going to guess I'm fixed in my ways.

I generally begin coding using a Template I've tuned over the years in my favorite editor, which is the same as I use for all of the other languages I code in daily.

4 Likes

I use IntelliJ, has a lot of features, type checking, syntax, etc.

there is a free version

3 Likes

I agree, there's already an adequate number of IDE, another isn't necessary. But I can see the "burden" of ^A ^C ^A^V keystrokes :smiley: in using the built in editor. I've certainly spent days of my life coding up a mechanism to save myself 4-5 keystrokes or mouse clicks. I know the urge :smiley:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.