Replacing An Existing Home Security System

We have a hard-wired, stand-alone security system. It would be nice to have something that would integrate with our HE hub. What's out there that would replace the electronic panel and keypads that we have now while at the same time using the door sensors that were wired in at the time of construction?

Maybe Konnected.

1 Like

I would suggest the Elk M1 Gold security panel. Perfectly integrates with HE.

Is your alarm a DSC? I have a DSC alarm that I’m monitoring the keybus with a esp8266 and sending the status of the zones to Hubitat.

Did you mean DSC?
If so, how are you connecting this to hubitat?

Yes DSC, using a optocoupler to monitor the alarm’s keybus to get the status of the zones the sending it to Hubitat via the MakerAPI.

1 Like

Definately agree with Rcjordan. Konnected is great! There are two versions, one is konnected alarm panel that replaces your entire old system alarm panel. You just use your old wiring and sensors. The second is konnected alarm interface which is the system i have. You leave your old system intact and just attach wires from the Konnected interface zones to your old alarm system zones. You get the best of both worlds. Hubitat sees your wired sensors and can activate a siren or you can still uses your old system as it was before Hubitat. They're coming out with new versions of both so if you decide to order make sure your ordering the newest versions which are due out in January.

I haven't tried it myself {yet} but there is an integration to DSC via envisalink board.
https://community.hubitat.com/t/envisalink-integration-application-and-connection-driver/3123

Ours is labeled 'GE'.

In regards to the Konnected system that just interfaces with our existing system without actually replacing it, does such an arrangement permit arming and disarming from our iPhones? I presume the existing keypads continue to function as well, yes?

Here's another option that will be available on December 11.

https://www.amazon.com/Introducing-Ring-Retrofit-Alarm-Kit/dp/B07Y926SS8/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=ring+alarm&qid=1573955221&sr=8-12

There's a new Ring community app and drivers for HE by @codahq. I'm testing the Alarm drivers right now, and so far it's working exactly as I need. As far as the Ring Alarm system itself, I do like it, but there are some anomalies with their Z-Wave Plus door and window sensors that are a bit concerning. With the retrofit kit, that would not be an issue, because you would be using your own wired door and window sensors.

Please do read the warning before you decide the community Ring driver is the way you want to go.

1 Like

I just installed the AD2Pi yesterday. Works awesome with Hubitat. All my wired sensors are reporting instantly. I have the Vista 20p (similar to your system, different brand). I really didn’t want to “replace” the system since these older wired alarm systems are much more reliable than any modern alternatives. AD2Pi just integrates it with my hub, but keeps the existing functionality intact. I will use Hubitat to auto-arm the system and disarm exclusively with our old keypads (safest method). It was pretty easy to install too.

1 Like

Does the AD2Pi work with Zone 1 on your Vista panel. I bought a Konnected to get some of that functionality. Unfortunately, Konnected cannot interact with Zone 1 on a Vista panel which is Front Door and Garage Door on my system; kind of important and I missed the big bold letters where it said that so my fault.

I had to install separate contact sensors to get that functionality.

I actually have Zone 1 assigned to Smoke/Gas detectors and I don’t know how to test it without setting something on fire actually LOL.

In theory, it should work though. The AD2Pi just acts as an extra keypad so it receives all communication a keypad would receive. The AD2Pi then sends the signals to Hubitat. You simply assign virtual devices to zones. When a zone faults, the device is perceived as “open” by Hubitat.

So with that said, you should be able to test it. Open a door assigned to zone one and look at your keypad. Does the keypad say “zone 1 fault”? If so, AD2Pi should see it as well.

Just to also mention Konnected (or at least some versions) does not retain the tamper protection implemented by EOL resistors on zones, this maybe a concern for any insurers .

@kevin I don't know if it matters with what you are referencing but i have Konnected Interface, not the panel replacement so I don't know how it would affect any of the existing resistors on zones. However, I am completely ignorant on security system wiring.

What about output control/status?

I hacked together the code a few years ago when I was using Smartthings, I’m currently not monitoring the alarm status just the zones. The software can be modified to monitor the status. Not sure what you mean by output control. If you want I can post the code on Github.

I was referring to alarm outputs. A very important function of good quality alarm systems. Outputs (relays) are essential for controlling power to door controls, additional devices such as sirens, cut off switches, strobes, etc.
My security system directly controls door strikes, water and gas cutoff valves, screamers, devicespower resetting(rebooting), teargas actuators, shock panels, trap doors,

2 Likes