Replacement for Fibaro FGR-222 (for roller blinds)

Hi all.
So, I installed a Shelly Qubino Wave Shutter, to replace a Fibaro FGR-222. I added it to Hubitat using the built in Qubino Shutter driver, which is for the previous generation device, but seemed to work ok. However, when the blind is opened/closed (via momentary switch or Hubitat UI) the switch does not click off when the blind reaches stops. the Fibaro module does it perfectly, so I think it's a setting/issue with the Shelly Qubino module rather than anything else. Any thoughts before I give up with this module and try the newer Fibaro FGR-223 instead?

Which switch doesn't click off? Did you successfully calibrate the module so that it knows the open and close positions?

I tried several times to calibrate the module, but it would only do the first calibration step, to close the blind fully. It would then just stay there, without the module relay 'clicking' and doing the next step of the calibration. The stops on my blind are all set correctly and work perfectly with the fibaro module, so I do think it's a Shelly Qubino module or driver issue rather than anything else. Admittedly, the driver I'm using is for the older pre-shelly module, when Qubino were a stand-alone company, so I can't to too surprised.

That's strange, it must be something to do with the characteristics of the connected load and its 'stops'. What you're describing is the exact same issue I had with the Fibaro Roller Shutter 3 when connected to my curtain motors. Instead of going close - open - close, it would just close and stop; yet the Roller Shutter 2's had worked fine. My only reason for replacing the Roller Shutter 2's was that we have manual switches in use as well as HE control, so when operated from the switches the curtains position was not reported back to Hubitat and dashboards would display them in the wrong position (due to them not being Z Wave Plus)

It might be worth trying to alter some of the parameters in the Shelly before condemning it, or reaching out to them for support.

I believe it would be the following two parameters that may assist. I think the first is how much load the module needs to see, to believe it is moving and that can be affected by the limits on your blind:

I have been following this a little just due to my post above. Just wanted to chime in and say, if you all feel like its a driver issue or you need a driver with better/more settings options let me know. I might be able to adapt the ZEN53 driver to this device. Or I can take an existing custom driver and fix it up.

Thanks for your replies.

@johnwill1 I will try those parameter changes and report back.

@jtp10181 Thanks for offering to help. The existing Qubino driver seems ok, if the calibration would work that is! I'll try changes as @johnwill1 suggested. If that doesn't work, then tweaking a driver could be a plan :+1:

2 Likes

Hi all. Some good progress with this. I have managed to play about with parameters, and the module is now operating the roller blind correctly, including reporting. The module would not recognise both limit switches, so I had to set a max motor run time manually, to about 1 second more than the roller takes to open/shut. That then seemed to allow calibration to work.

Simple question, how to I pull a full parameter report off the module now? I will share the report on here, in case you can spot something silly I have done.

1 Like

Just temporarily switch driver to 'Basic Z Wave Tool' and click save (it's not built in so you'll need to install as a user driver)

Then open a logs page in a separate tab and click 'Get Parameter Report' without specifying a single parameter number.

The live log will output all Parameter numbers with their associated size and values to the log. You can then just filter the Past Logs to that device and screenshot. When done, reselect the original driver and click save.

Thanks. I did that and the results were a little strange. The logs showed the same parameter lots of times (pics below). Is this normal?

Also, this morning, when I pressed the retractive wall switch to open the blind, it didn't respond and I had to power cycle the Shelly module in order for it to work again. Never had anything like this with the Fibaro FGR-222 module.

Here's a link to the device support page, with parameter info...

https://kb.shelly.cloud/knowledge-base/wave-shutter

That's unusual. If I click the 'Get Parameter Report' with that driver on any of my devices, I see each available parameter listed once. Here's a report from one of my Qubino modules:

You only use this driver to look at or make alterations. Once complete you would select the previous driver again and click 'Save Device' to restore normal operation. You shouldn't click 'Save Preferences' or 'Configure' as that will resend the parameters in the preference pane (which, if you had made changes manually using the tool, would overwrite them again)

Edit: I can see some parameters listed more than once but not repeatedly like yours.

I did swap the driver back to the built in "Qubino Shutter Module" after using the basic tool. Didn't press save/configure either.

If it fails again, like it did with the retractive switch this morning, I'll check the error LEDs on the module, to work out what's caused it.

It could be so simple if it worked hey!

Actually yours is unusual. Most devices will respond back with Param #1 if you ask for an invalid parameter. It might even be called out in the spec that the device MUST respond with something, as is usually the case.

So yeah... all those param 1 is normal, you just have to pick out the useful ones. You can copy/paste it to a text file and delete all the garbage.

I thought if you don't specify a parameter, it outputs all parameters. I think that's what I read in the thread relating to the driver. That output was one of my Qubino shutter modules but all of my Fibaro devices do that (display all)

Yes, since the driver does not know what are valid params for the device it just loops through params 1 - 200 (or maybe 250). It asks the device what the value of each one is. Most devices will reply with param 1 if you ask for an invalid param.

Glad you got it working. I have 3 rollers with an original Qubino 240v modules on each. I had an issue that 2 were great - retractive switches (2 way + centre off) were fine. The other one calibrated the wrong way - still worked but not ideal. swapped the power wires over from module to blind and of course that worked and rotated my retractive switch module so all 100% OK now. My issue was due to the blind motor being on the alternate end of the blind compared to the 2 working ones which now of course makes perfect sense so just mentioning this here in case someone in future stumbles in the same scenario :slight_smile: I love my blinds + the control - looking forward to some sunny weather so I can have some fun watching them come down based on my paramerters :slight_smile: It's the small things in life!

The Shelly Qubino module isn't working perfectly yet. It randomly goes into an error mode and will not respond to any switch or habitat command until it is power cycled at the fuse/breaker. I have Somfy 40WT 240v motors that have worked flawlessly with Fibaro FGR-222 for years, so I dont think it's motor related. It is only because the fibaro modules dont report their status/position that I am trying something new. Im getting to the point where trying another module is probably my best bet. Glad I have been able to help others not make the same mistake though.

There won't be anything wrong with your motors, just how the module sees them. I had nos issues with FGR-222 but when updating them to the newer model (for the same reason as you - Z Wave +), the newer model wouldn't work and I had to use Qubino. Reading your posts I'm dreading a failure of a Qubino as I'd need to locate one second hand or potentially face issues with the newer Shelly version.

A further update. Since my last post, the Shelly Qubino module has worked perfectly, with no further errors. I am therefore going to buy 12 more to replace my remaining Fibaro FGR-222. If there are any questions about how I have the Shelly module configured, I will do my best to help.

3 Likes

That's great to hear. First time Hubitat user here. I just got my brand new C8 Pro with a dozen of Shelly Qubino Wave Shutters. Any help would be much appreciated.