Repeatable...create new dashboard and add all lights. Open new dashboard and it has every device

Turn in a support ticket so that it gets logged on the bug list.

Never seen that option, @627soutmain. Do you mean just send an email to support@hubitat.com?

1 Like

Yes. Click the Support link at the top of this community forum. This is the community support forum, not Hubitat support. However, Hubitat staff often visit these forums. Right now, I believe they’ve got an “all hands on deck” effort trying to straighten out the C-7 and 2.2.3 firmware issues.

1 Like

Yeah, I don't expect this to float to the top of any "must" list for a while, and after they get the C7 issues under control, they really need to get their new hub backup service released (and I would prioritize that above this issue as well). :slight_smile:

If anyone in a standup this week is talking about anything but C7 firmware/radio issues, they need to have their donut taken away. :wink:

Email to support sent.

1 Like

That's not really true. The dashboard loads all data for the devices that you select when the dashboard is opened. That way the data is available should it need to be displayed. So, you should never add all devices to a dashboard. It will seriously slow down your hub's performance.

Another reason why it should never be the default! :slight_smile:

Regardless of what items are selected the dashboard app has access to all devices. While they are not polled or selectable from the menu they can be inserted and controlled by the dashboard app no matter what filters are in place

All apps have access to all devices. What's your point? You can only add devices to a dashboard if they have been selected within the app. Devices that are unselected can't be put on a dashboard.

By having only one instance of the dashboard app, it must always have access to all devices, the filtering only works at the UI level. You can control devices using the underlying control endpoints, even if a particular device is in no dashboards.

This differs from things like the maker API which has some tighter controls around device selection, which is possible because you can run multiple instances.

I thought that this could be a factor in this issues, but it appears that it is just an issue with the default selections of the UI.

No you cannot. You cannot add devices to a dashboard that have not been selected within the specific child dashboard app. Try it, they won't show up on the list when you go to add devices.

They don’t show up...but they can be controlled. In fact they can be controlled by the cloud endpoint even when the device is in NO dashboards and NO dashboards are cloud enabled.

Yes they do not show up in the UI but programmatically they are available to the dashboard. Which is how I thought this might have happened.

When I get to a computer (on mobile) I can pull the URLs and show you!

What are you talking about? The endpoint is for the dashboard. It doesn't give you a specfic url when you execute a command. That's embeded in the webpage. If you're talking about hacking into the webserver and pulling code out, if someone has done that that means that they have already compromised your access token, which is required to load the dashboard at all.
I am not going to engage in debates about what you can force the system to do if your try and break it. That is well beyond the scope of this discussion and completely pointless.

Related to the issues w/devices being added w/out choosing them that @toy4rick noticed, I was able to re-create that issue as well.

Created a simple dashbord w/only one device.
2020-08-21 08_09_47-Garage Door

Opened that dashboard and it had the selected Garage Door, as well as HSM and Mode tiles:

So another issue to look into in the future.

Those tiles are always available to all dashboards. Since you've had the hub less than a month, maybe assume that everything is not broken. The system has been around for a while.

I've created other dashboards today that do not contain those tiles. So they are not being added to each dashboard I create, only some, for some unknow reason. The behavior is inconsistent, and (for me) unexpected, not necessarily desired.

And you'll note I said "...another issue to look into." I did not say anything was broken - your words, not mine.

So maybe don't assume at all... :wink:

I was just pointing out what could have been possible within the system that might have caused items that were not selected to show up.

If by “hacking” the web server you mean looking at the traffic my browsers is sending, then yes that is what I have done.

I am glad the solution was found. But I don’t think it unreasonable to say X access could have caused Y bug. Unless the assumption is that Hubitat has no bugs and the issues is ALWAYS user error

1 Like

Issues associated with this are being addressed.

6 Likes

The HSM and Mode tiles are automatically added to new dashboards when you choose to auto-populate the tiles. Just delete them if you don't want them.

1 Like

The issue is that in this case those two tiles were added to a dashboard that was created by me first in the Dashboard app.

Created the dashboard w/one device in the Dashboard app. Then I went to the dashboard section and opened dashboard I had created. Instead of just opening the dashboard w/my tile, it prompted me to choose either auto-populate or add tiles manually. I chose auto-populate (I had already chosen the device(s) in the app, so why would I choose to add them manually again? And then it opened the dashboard w/an its idea of a compromise ( :wink: )- my chosen tile and the HSM Mode tiles.

Generally the functionality is not working consistently/as expected, but as Bruce notes, they are aware and will address it. I'm not concerned generally now that I have a better idea of how to avoid the odd behaviors. :slight_smile:

Hit auto populate and it included the device(s) I had selected along with the two other

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.