Removing labels on Pico remote

Has anybody tried to remove the labels off the front of a Pico remote?

Pretty sure it's laser etched, so it would not rub off like a silkscreen logo.

Big blow torch works. :wink:

On a side note, why tf is the black version of the pico remote almost 3 times as expensive? I hate Lutron as a business, but their engineering is top notch!

1 Like

The white tape for the Brother P-Touch label makers matches the white pretty closely. You could tape over with a blank piece or put some alternate text on it. I think they are engraved so it would not be easy - maybe you could carefully wet-sand and polish . . . If you could find the right color paint you might be able to fill it in.

If your pockets are deep enough, I believe you can custom order engraving on the dimmers and Picos from Lutron.

4 Likes

I think the Picos are silk screened. The custom laser engraving is for the RA product line. I’ll take another look at the Picos, I was just hoping somebody had already tried it. I’m not quite ready to tackle the Picos, I need to pick up a Lutron hub first.

Before that I’ll be laser engraving some switch plates. I plan on filling the engraving with paint to make it legible. I’ve been moving all my switches to paddle style switches to make it easier for guests to understand. The biggest problem is that there are six switches next to the front door. I want to label the basic functionality and p-touch labels won’t cut it.

If that project goes well I want to tackle some Pico remotes.

They use the same Pico remotes. A few years ago I've seen an RA2 brochure indicating the switches and remotes are "laser engraved" and can be custom engraved.

I took a closer look at my picos, I'm about 90% sure they're laser etched. This means the plastic is burned, melted and expands slightly upwards (as opposed to engraving, where you can feel a depression). Silkscreening on switches that are regularly under skin contact is poor engineering, I'd be surprised if Lutron went that route.

Probably has something to do with supply and demand.

I second the advice above that white P-Touch labels match pretty closely. I wasn't about to pay almost twice as much for a shades/blinds Pico and three times as much for a fan Pico, so...

It looks a little worse in the pictures than it does in real life (the photos really accentuate the label edges). I still might spring for an engraved one in the living room where people who aren't me might stare a bit more closely, but they're definitely good enough for me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t gotten to the Pico’s yet but the Lutron Claro faceplate came out OK.

4 Likes

Nice! Very nice!!

Thanks. I have six switches at the front door. It was a mess for visitors. Now I need to install the three Inovellis in the other box for a nice clean look.

Previously it was a confusing hodgepodge.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, which PTouch are you using? One of the new ones that uses an external app, or the classic with the mini keyboard?

Cheers,

I forget the model number but it's a PC-connected one. I've used both, but in my experience, the ones with only a built-in keyboard have extremely poor DPI and make low-quality-looking labels.

1 Like

thought I'd share my Ptouch results.

As you had mentioned, they do look better in person. The flash on my phone really brings out the fact that its a sticker!

1 Like