Remove / Delete Event Trigger within Rule Machine

I have a Rule Machine Trigger configured to notify anytime a code is entered into a door lock or security keypad. One of the unfortunate things about the way Rule machine currently handles this is that I have to create a separate "Event Trigger" for every single lock and keypad I want to monitor. Since I recently added a 4th keypad to my home I wanted to get notifications from this 4th keypad which means I needed to go manually update this rule to add a new event trigger....

The problem is that when I was adding it I accidentally selected "Security keypad" as the capability rather than "Keypad codes". I tried to go back without clicking "Done" which usually works on most other pages, but not in RM. It had already saved this new "Event Trigger" to my rule and there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to remove it, or to even modify the "Capability" that was selected.

Does anyone know how I might delete / remove "Event Trigger #10" shown in this screenshot? I really don't want to have to rebuild this whole rule from scratch again.

Thanks,
-Jeremy

Unfortunately, once a capability is selected, it cannot be changed. The suggestion from @bravenel is to delete the rule and start over again.

I'd even go so far as to say it's a recommendation rather than just a suggestion, "to delete the rule and start over again"
:+1:

This is all under active development. Coming soon an improved method of defining conditions, including the ability to delete them.

13 Likes

That would be fantastic, as a new user I "experiment" to see what something will be, and as a sloppy user I misclick plenty, and when creating a rule I no-kidding will recreate it about 5 times before I do it right. Extremely painful and it's unfortunate because there's so much to love with RM!

1 Like

I agree with the painfulness of this. I've had my HA over a year and I still go in and refine current rules as well as experiment with new ones. This "enhancement" seems to be more of a problem than it's worth. I understand the idea of creating a new rule. I also understand that going in and removing all the items associate with an old capacity is just as valid, and often easier way of fixing a rule.

1 Like

The rule should at the very least not be saved though until pressing the "done" button. Not sure why its saving before that.

1 Like

I have certainly screwed up more than one rule because of that. User error for sure, as I know that is how it works.

It would still be great if in a future version it didn't do that, though.

Actually, I pay attention to these comments. In response to this and prior comments about RM, a number of changes have been undertaken:

1. Actions UI is now up to date wrt to any device name changes or deletions, at the top level of a rule as well as deeper into the action selection. This was released in 2.0.5.

2. Conditions / trigger events definition is being completely reworked, and will feature a much more streamlined process. This includes the ability to remove conditions cleanly and easily. So if one is messed up, it will be easy to redo it. This will be in release 2.0.7.

3. Rule definition is being completely reworked as well, and will feature a much cleaner streamlined process. It will no longer be possible to mess up a rule by trying to change parts of it. The display of the rule as it's built will be much more evident, with the page not scrolling down and down as the rule grows. No more little questions for Not and sub-rules, end of sub-rules, etc. And, there will be an Erase Rule button, that wipes the slate and allows easy re-do of a messed up rule. I've been using this for a few weeks now, and it is vastly superior to the current mess for rule definition. This will be in release 2.0.7.

All in all, once 2.0.7 is released you will find a greatly improved Rule Machine, minus most of the rough edges previously commented on.

13 Likes

This is great news, it should really make managing RM a much more pleasant experience and prevent user errors in rules.

Thanks Bruce!

I use RM a lot, so any usability improvements are very welcome. Keep up the good work. It is a great app!

May I assume this will be like the 2.0 to 2.5 RM?? It won't have any effect on older Rules, only new Rules get the New & Improved? My list of Rules, which has "Rule" (for v2 rules) and "Rule-2.5" will be getting "Rule-3.0" ?

Correct. Old Rule and Rule-2.5 will still work. New rules will be Rule-3.0

2 Likes

Maybe a copy rule option could be added so that it would be easier to re-create rules under the new version.

7 Likes

+1000

2 Likes

Took the words out of my mouth! (With copy to new rule)

2 Likes

So, if we go into old rules and select done, will the update to Rule-3.0 rules? Or only newly created rules will be Rule-3.0 rules? Is only the rules writing UI changing?

Basically, is there any advantage to re-working rules into Rule-3.0 rules or it just the UI that is changing?

1 Like

@bravenel , any chance I could get a quick answer to this question .

We are not going to release 3.0 as a distinct new app, but rather make these improvements within 2.5. All 2.5 existing rules will simply have the new UI features.

Thank you!! :smiley: So, just the standard go in and hit done for each rule again type of thing?