Remotec ZXT-600 Issues with Built-In Driver

I recently bought a Remotec ZXT-600, but I had issues getting it to work with the built-in driver. It paired fine, and it seemed like I was able to configure the settings ok (making sure to Save settings and also hit Configure), but no matter what I tried, I couldn't get my ACs to respond to commands (I tried 3 different units of 2 different brands). I tried the recommended IR codes from Remotec's database, and when none of those worked, I tried the learning process. Again, it seemed like everything was working fine; the LED on the Remotec responded the way the manual said it would when successfully learning a command. But again, the ACs wouldn't actually react to any commands.

After a lot of messing around, I decided to try the community driver here:

I simply switched over to this driver and configured the settings. I didn't unpair/re-pair my Remotec. Lo and behold, it worked! I then decided to try switching back to the built-in driver, and now the Remotec continues to work properly.

It seems like there must be something going wrong when the built-in driver tries to configure the device. But once the device is configured properly from the other driver, the built-in driver works.

If I can provide any further information, or do any further testing to try and fix the built-in drivers, I'm happy to do what I can.

2 Likes

Tagging @bcopeland.

2 Likes

BTW, I'm using an Australian version of the device, in case that matters.

I don’t think that should matter. As long as your hub has a z-stick that uses the Australian z-wave frequency, or a C7 hub that is configured to work on that frequency?

Yeah, I have the correct frequency. I know that's not the issue. I just mentioned it in case there happens to be something different in the AU version compared to the version the devs used for testing (presumably US).

2 Likes

Yes, Aeotec is famous for having product released in different markets with different firmware versions (sometimes even in the same market!).

1 Like

Now that you mention it, I have a few ZXT-120s and one of them seems to act up at times. I hadn’t considered the possibility of different device firmware versions as the explanation for that. But I bought the devices over time so it could be.

But OTOH Aeotec makes a lot of, um, unusual decisions with their products that hopefully Remotec wouldn’t aspire to emulate...

1 Like

Thank you for pointing out (gently) that I had Aeotec and Remotec mixed up!!

1 Like

Honestly I wasn’t sure, lol, :wink:.

1 Like

Not the same issue as in the original post but I thought I might tag on in the interest of consolidating conversations re bugs with this driver. Ever since this built-in driver was released, I have gotten the following error:

2020-08-16 16:01:59.176 errorgroovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: remotecZXT600.pollDevice() is applicable for argument types: () values: [] Possible solutions: pollDeviceData(), collect() (pollDevice)

Screen Shot 2020-08-16 at 18.48.08

The error links back to the device itself; seems pollDevice() might not be implemented.

This isn’t a new error, but since I haven’t really been using this particular device for anything, I just haven’t gotten around to posting this bug report until now.

I seem to have found another (minor) issue; When I try to pair the Remotec as a battery powered device, Hubitat doesn't seem to identify it and match the driver. It just gets added as "Device" and I need to choose the driver manually.

I need a little help. I found similar issue with HE driver not accepting setup but Warren guy driver does. Annoying feature is one requires C scale and other needs F scale. At least I can set it up and switch back to default driver. Here's my problem.
The temperature reported never changes. I have a reference thermometer and comparing the logs it appears that a temperature get is being executed when there is a change but the temperature is not being updated. If I do a power cycle on the thermostat and HE it will pull the correct current temperature, but that's it. It is then stuck on that new temperature.

Hi, hoping that someone can provide some additional guidance on this device. @jason-lane I'm also in Australia and summer is on the way :slight_smile:

I added my first Remotec ZXT-600 yesterday. It's powered via a micro usb. It was identified by Hubitat, which is a good start but I'm wondering what to do next. The remote doesn't do anything when I trigger it from Hubitat. When I've looked at setup guides for this device on other hubs (Vera, Fibaro HC2) they all identify the need to add a configuration parameter, 25, with a numeric value that aligns to the specific model of the air conditioning. I tried this custom driver but it's still not clear what to do.

Where, in this setup do I enter something like those configuration parameters?

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

So,

1. as others have noted, I installed this custom driver, tried it, realised it didn't work fully, and then reverted back to the original driver.
  2. I worked off the assumption that the "IR Code Number
    for built-in code library" was the equivalent of the configuration parameter 25, and it turned out to be the case

Like most support questions it's easier to solve when you you think someone is looking over your shoulder, even if they don't have to say a word :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am looking for ways to link my MRCOOL DIY multi zone minisplit system into HE. Does anyone know if I would need one of these per zone or can this handle multiple indoor units at a time? Also does anyone have any other suggestions for rabbit holes to go down? So far I have looked into broadlink, whose future appears dim since the developer seems MIA, and harmony, but I am open to anything.

Hi Folks,

I experienced the same, the built in driver (Remotec Z-Wave-to-AC IR Extender ZXT600) is not fully functional. It does not send the command to configure the remote codes. When this is attempted the light on the ZXT-600 doesn't respond, indicating no command received. However, it does control the functions of the AC, i.e. temperature setpoint, mode, etc. That said there is another driver available to help us get the code into the ZXT-600. The other folks in this thread got it figured out, I am just learning :slight_smile:

So, here are the steps I had to take.

1. Discover and join the ZXT-600
  2. Change the driver to this one, https://raw.githubusercontent.com/warrenguy/hubitat-drivers/master/remotec-zxt-600-thermostat.groovy
  3. Input your remote control code and Save Preferences (the green light on the ZXT-600 should blink when you do this, if it doesn't the code was not saved), I always hit configure too.
  4. Switch back to the Hubitat Driver, "Remotec Z-Wave-to-AC IR Extender ZXT600"
  5. Try and control your AC
  6. Once you've found the right code, the AC will operate as it should and you will not have to input the code again, the ZXT-600 stores the code in it's own memory.
    You may have to repeat steps 2,3,4,and 5 until you find the right code that works with your AC or MiniSplit.

It's really too bad the Hubitat driver doesn't work properly, as the installation would be simple and people may use this device more often then other web based, non-local solutions as I had prior to this. Maybe the smart programming guru's here can look at both drivers and combine the two. The driver that I linked has much more custom functionality for the ZXT-600, but unfortunately the Temperature Setpoint doesn't work, hence the revert back to the Hubitat supplied driver for operation.

4 Likes

Thanks! I'm glad I found this. I was getting no response with the built-in driver. I used the driver you linked and it immediately started working. I reverted back to the built-in driver and all continued working. Thanks again.

Glad you found it! You should send an email to Hubitat support to get this fixed. I already have a ticket open but no feedback as of yet.

I try to make away temperature to be 10 celsius (the lowest my Samsung Aircon can), but the lowest heating temperature seems to be 16 celsius. I wish there was a way make it send 10 celsius. Any thoughts?

Did you try and send it via the device page? Type in 10 and hit "Set Heating Setpoint" and see if it responds