Reliability of "compatible" locks

My locks/hub do both, stop responding and won't accept lock/unlock commands and also quit reporting state changes. I'll typically have to perform a hub reboot or a Z-wave repair and reboot (still not sure why the repair is necessary but usually does the trick). So maybe this isn't the solution I'm looking for?

My issues seem to be resolved after a Z-Wave repair and reboot. Has anyone tried scheduling a Z-Wave repair?

It's absolutely worth a try before dropping more cash. It helps some things. But the "perfect" solution is switching over to zigbee.

In my case, I have 5 kwikset locks on my house. Started out 100% Z-wave Plus. I had reliability issues, so I wrote the Reliable Locks app. For 3 of the locks, this has been good enough. For whatever reason (mesh strength, or just weird firmware), the other 2 locks were never reliable. They were each unreliable in different and distinct ways, but I spent way too much time trying to fix them. I eventually switched the chips in those two over to Zigbee, and now they work perfectly. I don't need Reliable Locks app running on those 2 anymore. I continue to use it with my other 3 z-wave locks.

I don't know whether all the lock brands have any connection with the Amazon Key program (I think that is the correct name) but at least Kwikset does. The Amazon Key version of the Kwikset lock is called Convert. It is only the inside part of the lock and is Zigbee. The Zigbee module is easy to remove and replace in I would suspect all Kwikset connected locks.
If you look on the right hand side of the Amazon page, you can often find them used. Every so often they will be super cheap like $25 dollars or so. Check all the finishes. The used prices will be all over the place. The one I got was new in a sealed box.
I suspect these are sent to installers for a job and the people change their mind and return them. When there is an over supply they go really cheap.
If other lock brands are a part of that program the same situation may also exist. Worth checking out.

3 Likes

I just checked. Used Kwikset Convert locks aren't a bargain today but new are less than $50. ​ Kwikset Lock

1 Like

This is a pricy solution, but I'm happy I did it. I recently swapped out 2 Schlage locks with zigbee Yale equivalents. Yale offers a 20% discount (and free shipping) from their website. I financed the switch by selling a whole bunch of home automation gear I no longer use on eBay.

Paid for the locks with a little left over. Plus, I have cleared my attic of box full of junk. I still have a few things to shift (old GE switches, and the 2 Schlage locks I replaced).

1 Like

What model are the locks?

Schalge BE469 and Kwikset 912.

@tobyp24 The Amazon Convert Zigbee module should fit your 912. If you check every few days, you may find the used versions for much less than the current new price.

1 Like

I have two Schalges;

1. BE469 CA (2018)
  2. BE469 ZP (2019)

The older #1 has been the most painful for me, but both have had issues.
The best advice I ran into was;

1. Work on your mesh help (in my case I installed two aeotech z-wave range extenders between my hub and door.
  2. Let it settle for a week (or more than 2-3 days). I kept getting frustrated and tweaking things. It wasn't until I left it alone for a week.

Now my locks have been super reliable for a few months now, even the #1 old horrible firmware one I have.

I'm in a similar situation but I believe all three of my locks are the CA version. I have added the Aeotech repeaters which I thought helped at first but I'm back at square one. I've also tried relocating my hub and factory resetting the locks to no avail.

I didn't see it listed as a compatible device. It looks like there are other Kwikset locks on the list but not the 912.

I saw this post today and I am curious.

Does the Kwikset 914 lock have a swap out module chip too?

My 914 is currently a Zwave lock but I wouldn't mind testing it with Zigbee to compare between the two modules.

I went on Ebay and did a search for "Zigbee kwikset module" but none came up then I noticed several mention of Amazone Convert Zigbee module in this thread.

This Amazon module will convert my Kwikset 914 into a Zigbee wave without having to use the Amazon's cloud feature and still can be controlled via Hubitat?

Thank you

Yup, all the kwikset locks that have zigbee or z-wave have interchangeable chips. (Although I feel like there might have been a weird Control4 version or something floating around.) Don't worry about that though. If you have a zwave 914 and buy a zigbee convert, you'll be able to easily swap the chips and re-pair it to Hubitat.

The Kwikset Convert lock is just a standard ZigBee lock, without the external keypad. No cloud required.

I guess I've been lucky. I have two Zwave Kwikset locks and they have been reliable with both Wink and Hubitat (just probably jinxed myself). They are a little slow but do respond to direct commands as well as part of automations to lock/unlock on gefencing rules as well as lock on "goodnight" rule. I suppose if they get temperamental, harvesting the ZigBee module from the Kwikset Convert on Amazon is a good option.

1 Like

I just left all 5 of my Zwave Schlage locks on Smartthings and used Hubconnect to import them into Hubitat. No issues at all this way even though the entirety of my Zwave mesh is on HE and the only devices left on ST are the locks and the ADT door sensors.

Now I think I understand.

The Amazon Convert Smart Lock is an actual completed functioning lock but no keypads on it so if I wanted to try the ZIgbee out then one way is to buy that lock and take it apart to pull the module out of it then put it in my Smart Lock with the keypad? The second way is to find the module itself but I looked all over and it seem everyone is out of Zigbee module.

I wonder if i buy this lock and swap modules with my lock then I can use this lock like on the backdoor where it don't see much traffic and still can control it from Hubatit?

When I installed the lock on my door, I didn't see a module similar I saw online picture. Would it be inside a housing and I would need to take apart the housing to swap it out?

Thanks for info!

The module in the Convert is easy to remove and it should plug straight into your lock. They are pin compatible with the Zwave locks. Really quick and easy to do.

2 Likes

That is exactly it.

Yes, if you open the housing, the chip is right next to the battery compartment.

1 Like