Reliability Has Been Super

That is very slow Here's a similar setup: zwave+ motion sensor (Dome) used to turn on a Lutron switch.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 10.21.06 AM

So that's 174 ms from motion being detected to the Lutron switch being turned on.

I'm doing all my motion lighting through Node-RED.

Can I ask if this is a consistent timing.
The reason I ask is the first time I get a rule to run after a reboot or defining it, they always run slow the first time then pick up after that.
Just wondering.

1 Like

I agree, which is why I use HS for motion lighting.

I want to construct my own mini apps to see if it's faster then ML and RM.

1 Like

Seems likely. ML would give me a time of ~300 msec for the same automation that I linked to above (I've never used RM for motion lighting, so I have no RM times to compare).

@asj had released small apps that worked well for motion lighting and the times with his apps were around 200-250 msec for the same automation as the one above.

It's already well defined and clear that RM is slower than a micro-app or even ML. RM is huge and has overhead.

1 Like

Do you have a link to his apps?

Yes, I know. ML delivers around 350 ms on average.

Then what's the test against? Or just collecting the stats to have them?

RM -> timing
ML -> timing
App -> timing

To compare all the timings. It looks like this was done though and I have my answer. A small mini app delivers 250ms in comparison to 350ms using the ML app.

Cobra has a motion lighting app you might try.

http://cobra-apps.co.uk/

2 Likes

Also @jeubanks

Recall - my tests were done while my HE had lots of other apps (and RM rules) running. So I would hesitate to make any specific conclusions from the times I've noted (for ML and @asj's Pluggable Lighting). However, the broad conclusion that Pluggable Lighting is faster than ML is accurate.

What I am comfortable saying is that using Maker-API + Node-RED consistently yields the fastest motion lighting automation I have quantified.

3 Likes

So I tossed together Node-Red and the hubitat plugin which uses maker.

Motion lighting is around 200-220ms.

1 Like

1 Like

If you use this Lutron Caseta integration for node-red, you'll shave another 30-50 ms off that.

I'm going to take a look at this.

Stupid question, I have it set if motion is inactive to go to a delay of 4 mins, and then to tell the light to turn off. If the function (don't know my terminology) becomes active again would the delay cancel?

In general, I use a stop-timer node to stop the sequence when motion is active, and it restarts when motion is inactive. Here's an example

To avoid derailing this thread, I suggest following up on the node-red nodes for Hubitat thread.

3 Likes

Thanks

3 Likes

Have you tried lovelace animated backgrounds? The animations change based on the status of Dark Sky weather entity. It's pretty awesome!

1 Like