[RELEASE] Zooz ZEN32 Scene Controller (community driver)

Can you confirm what the current latest firmware iss for this device. When i check the site it currently says v10.0 which sees like quite a jump. The new controller got a little bit ago is v 1.1 which is not in the matrix at all. I am also wondering why we are limited to just Red, Green, Blue, and White.It seems you should be able to provide more color options and frankly with 5 buttons only 4 colors seems a bit limited.

Can confirm 10.0 is correct. They made similar changes to all the 700 series devices and bumped all the versions to 10, not sure why. You have to put in a support ticket to request the file.

@agnes.zooz would have to comment on the color choices.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the colors. If you have some more ideas for colors to be available for selection, please send them my way and we'll try to add the to a future update!

Great sale - I ordered one of the Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Plus Scene Controller Switch ZEN32.

Wondering if this switch / driver will work on my C4 hub?

I only tested on a C-5 and a C-7, but there's no reason it shouldn't work on a C-4 too (same Z-Wave implementation as the former).

Thanks Robert. I'll give it a go when the item arrives. I created a virtual device and that seems to work. Odd though the device screen says it has 25 buttons.

That's the way my driver works. :slight_smile: Up to five taps per button times five buttons gives you 25 (all support pushed; only 1-5 do held and released, since those are the "base" button numbers; and Hubitat's doubleTapped event is not used since other button numbers cover those cases). There's a diagram in the first post that demonstrates the numbering, or you can just look at the info logs as you use the real device after you get one.

1 Like

My Zen32 came in today. A neat device for sure. And your driver is the best thing since sliced bread. I don't have a lot of time to tinker this evening, but I have been able to create a button controller and a rule to change the leds and act on device presses. I'm going to love this thing, but I'm not sure I will be able to convince my wife that this is progress. Do you create a instruction sheet to paste on the wall indicating what all the buttons do with various presses? At this point I'm thinking I may limit myself to 10 button presses for the time being.

I have a C4 which is my long time workhorse - but I have to reboot it 3x a week. And I have 2-C5s and 2-C7s. I have been threatening to move everything to one of the C5s for a long time, but never did it. I installed the Zen32 on one of my C5s and it worked like a champ. In fact it picked your driver by default!

Again - you have done an admirable job Robert.

Have my Zen32 completely set up and installed with a massive template surrounding it with what each button push does and what the LEDs mean. I stopped at 12 functions - which is more than I need for now. My wife looked at it and rolled her eyes :wink: I'm loving this set up and want to thank Robert again for his efforts supporting this device.

1 Like

No pictures?

1 Like

Can someone tell me what triggers to use in Rule Machine to recognize the double, triple, etc taps on this scene controller? A trigger of 'button # pushed' only seems to launch the rule for single-pushes.

If you are using my driver, the button numbers and events are described in the first post. For example, a double tap of the large button is "button 10 pushed." if you are using Hubitat's driver, I don't think you will get more than double taps for any physical action.

Thanks - I see it now. I was thinking of the button in the physical sense - of which there are only 4. But I see now that I should actually pretend that the values in the first post's diagram are 'real' buttons and not just values sent to the device manager on a button press. Thanks for the clarification!

great driver! finally got it setup to change mode, turn lights on and off as well as report status to the leds! thanks! one question for anyone out there.. have you been able to update the firmware? I have added and extra huszb-1 stick as a secondary controller to the C4 via the Simplicity Studio .. it finds all the devices and infact gets the firmware version of the zen32.. and tries to write the new firmware, but it eventually times out. with the "status: unable to recieve=0x01" Anyone else attempted it?

I updated with zwave stick prior to bringing into hubitat with no issue.

I have a feeling that I may need to do that.. exclude it.. update and then reinclude.. problem is.. set up a bunch of automations I dont want to loose.

Have you tried the firmware update driver? You will need the binary version for the ZEN32 (not linked in the original main post). BTW you might still have to re-include the device after updating it. Happens with a lot of Zooz devices they factory reset themselves after updates. There is a trick to swap the DNI so you dont break automations.

Main Post: [RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

Binary version:

You could always add a dummy virtual device to the automations temporarily, then later remove once you add the ZEN32 back.

@bertabcd1234, Instead of trying to make my own driver at this time, I just did a pull request for an update that adds indicator command class support. https://github.com/RMoRobert/Hubitat/pull/6

• This support was added in a newer firmware version, I think you need at least 10.03
  • This came about from the community wanting better control over the LED lights.
  • Unfortunately right now when you use it, the LED is always white instead of your currently selected color. I have brought it up with Zooz already, along with still trying to get it so the flashing of the LED when parameters change could be disabled.

If you mouse over the flashSettings it gives some basic instructions.

1 Like

Thanks for the updates! I will take a look later. I've just asked Zooz for the new firmware so I can actually test this (I figured you requested it but had no idea they actually released it!). Seems unfortunate that it doesn't use the color settings...

Also, I might leave the command class versions as-is (backwards compatible and no reason to change if you're not using new features, IMHO, and for things like on/off in a Basic, I'm definitely not!) or re-think how the new functionality is implemented (I think I'd prefer discrete parameters in the method? less chance of typo errors and whatnot...), but I'll play around with it first. :smiley: Thanks again!