[RELEASE] Zooz Garage Door Opener

HELP - multirelay talks with but will not activate garage door motor.

Equipment:
Garage Door Motor: LiftMaster Model 8075 - 1/2 HP P3 Motor (6A motor, controller wires run at 0.17A), Security+ 2.0, myQ capable; has no wall switch, only remote clickers and a remote keypad (without LCD screen) attached outside and powered with battery (not hardwired).
Zooz Zen16 multi-relay: using relay 1 (15A max)

See install photo attached. I believe I followed the included instruction sheet for hardware and online instructions for HE integration.

Error:
Relay will send signal (as confirmed on HE device page), but when sending "ON" signal the motor will click and show 1 blink on "up" button then 3 blinks on "down" button, then repeats. Per motor user manual page 35, this correlates to the following:
Symptom: The door control will not function
Solution: The wires for the door control are shorted or the door control is faulty. Inspect door control wires at all staple and connection points, replace wire or correct as needed.

Troubleshooting thus far:
Using a multimeter on DC mA, I measured that the controller wire carries ~0.17A when idle, when sending a signal to controller, and when motor is running while opening/closing the door. This is far less than the 15A max load for relay 1 and than the 6A max load for my 20 gage single-core copper bell wire.

I connected to Relay 3 and got the same results.

Questions

1. Does anyone see an issue with my wiring setup?
  2. I do not have a switch attached at all because I do not have one on the wall; do I need to buy a switch button and run switch wires through that and connect back to the zooz in addition to the existing relay connections?
  3. Is this error occurring because the motor model has myQ capabilities? I'm not running myQ and don't want to, but Zooz does mention in the wiring diagram on instructions that it only works with traditional motorized garage door openers, not smart openers like the myQ system.

Thanks in advance!

Did you set relay one to garage door mode so that it will only send a momentary "on" and then switch back off again? This simulated a mechanical button where you briefly click it on and a release then goes back to the off state. Possibly that opener waits for the button release before it opens and if it stays held (on) then it gives the error you are seeing?

@jtp10181 - good idea, I think so - here are my settings:

ZEN16 parent device itself is set to Device Info > Type > 'Zooz MultiRelay'
ZEN16 parent device Preferences > Switch Type for Relay 1 > 'Garage Door'
I also just now tried setting it as a 'Momentary Switch' but that did not work either.
ZEN16 child device Zooz MultiRelay-Relay 1 has Device Info > Type > 'Generic Component Switch' and is grayed out so I cannot change it
The virtual garage door switch device that I named 'Garage Door 1of1' created using Zooz app per their instructions is set to Device Info > Type > 'Zooz Garage Door'

Zooz MultiRelay Preferences_Relay 1_initial install

You might need the 883LM button to investigate. Seems like this button has more capabilities than just a simple open/close so it might be sending some sort of a digital signal back to open the door and not just closing the circuit. That would explain why it complains about the wires being shorted when the relay activates, if the normal button does not work by just closing the circuit.

My older LiftMaster opener has a button with a LED and a light button, but the basic open/close function seems to just be a short circuit as the relay works fine on it. No idea how the opener knows when the light button is pushed on mine.

I think I have seen some other posts where people had to take their button apart and soldier the wires to the board inside at a certain spot for a relay to work with it. I would guess you have to figure out where the physical button shorts out on the board. Then connect the wires there so the switch board thinks the button was pushed and will send the proper signal to the opener.

Zooz support has told me any motor with myQ won’t work because it’s looking for a digital signal not just contacts. So I’ll try the Garadget @techbill suggested or the remote hack @trihokie85 did.

Open to any other ideas, though.

Thanks!

I just stumbled across this post, they also have a link to as pre-soldiered button that can be ordered if you don't want to mess with that part of it.

Pre-soldered product:

Garadget

Security+ 2.0 Wired Dry Contact Adapter – Garadget

I just installed 3 of these pre-soldered buttons that @jtp10181 is referring to from Garadget and can attest to the fact they work great on the Liftmaster MyQ doors!

Thanks @jtp10181 and @Levahj - I got the garadget and it worked great to start.

Zooz confirmed to me that their Zen16 multirelay sends an analog signal and the myQ-equipped chamberlains need a digital signal, so the garadget seems to accomplish that conversion.

However, 2 days after install and all of the sudden it would open but would not close through Hubitat. I had not unplugged, had power go out, blocked safety sensors, or messed with anything that I know of. Unplugged both the motor and the multirelay, confirmed continuity from relay (across cable, solder, garadget, and its wires) to motor with a multimeter, plugged it all back in, and now it closes but does not open through Hubitat dashboard.

Then, while writing this I tried opening it through the device page, and it succeeded in opening and closing from there. Then it succeeded in opening and closing from the dashboard. Then it stopped responding for up.. then stopped responding for down... it's very spotty.

I'm ready to unpair and set it all up from scratch, but first can anyone think of what the issue could be so I don't repeat it?

Hmm...

Hard to diagnose when the issue is so unpredictable. But the one constant looks to be that the Zen16 always seems to be sending a signal. It's that the LiftMaster MyQ door does not seem to always know if it is closed or open when it receives the signal . Its out of sync sort of speak.

You are sending a blind open/close command to the MyQ door control with the Zen16.

My experience controlling the LiftMaster MyQ is using a GoControl Zwave device, not a Zen16. The GoControl has a tilt sensor that knows the status of the door before it sends a signal. The Zen16 does not know if the door is open or closed when it sends the signal. The cause of your problem is not so easy to figure out because of that.

I would start by getting a new Garaget device. Yours may be defective. It may have the ability to know the status of the door being open/closed

1 Like

@willythekid do you have feedback tilt sensors on the doors? The Zooz garage door app is smart enough to not energize it's output if the door is already open and you tell it to open. Same goes for closing. Without the tilt sensors, it would be unpredictable what state the controller thinks the door is in.

Did you install the Zooz garage door app?
Do you have tilt sensors?

@DriftN2Forty - I did install the Zooz garage door app per their instructions along with a tilt sensor.

It seems the Zooz garage door app registers my request from the dashboard but does not activate the relay. Any idea why that signal is not going through? I'm ready to just set up the apps from scratch, and if that fails i'll set up the devices from scratch - just not sure why it stopped sending that signal.

Lists/Logs/Settings:

Go to Settings > Z-Wave Details

Look for the Zooz relay and note the Route

Examples are 01 -> 06 -> 0B ->40kbps or 01 - > 0F -> 100kbps

Also let me know what the stats are.

Stats for the multirelay are: 01 -> 09 40kbps

Thanks for all the help!

Is this app even supported anymore? Any replacements to recommend if not?

If bugs are found they'll be fixed and Zooz will help users troubleshoot issues, but there are no plans to add functionality...

@krlaframboise Yeah, I asked because on 2.2.8.156 I'm getting this when clicking create garage door. I don't know if I'm missing something or not.

Did you install both apps and the driver?

1 Like

@krlaframboise Ack!!!! Thought I'd installed the child app! That error is now gone... Thank you for your assistance BTW!!!

Feel like an idiot

Thought I would mention. I started having random issue with it not working. I went through a few cheap 1amp power supplies and finally used a good quality Anker supply and have not had any more issues.

1 Like

Kevin - just want to say thank you for this great app -- I finally got around to installing it for my Zen17 out in the ol' garage and it works a treat! My previous janky-&-patchy dashboard setup is now nicely consolidated to one tile here, and it's awesome.

Much appreciated!!