[RELEASE] Zigbee Map app

This is cool, thanks. I have one question. The map is showing one "unknown" device. It has a device ID that I can't find with any of my devices in Hubitat. Any idea how I might find out why that is?

Just arrived home and the app is now working! Lesson learned: Use the latest HPM so that the latest app can be installed correctly.

1 Like

Love the app, but now I'm obsessing over a couple of unknown devices! :grin:

1 Like

Released version 1.2.0 with the following really small change:

• Add option to add an image as map background (e.g.: home layout)

Example:

Notes:

• This is not my house :slight_smile: it's the demo layout from https://floorplanner.com/demo
  • The option is hidden on small screen devices (e.g. mobile phones)
  • It does not save the background image and the nodes position on reload / refresh, nor do I intend to add such features.

Have fun!

11 Likes

Why not? You're now obligated to spend every waking moment enhancing this application for the rest of your natural life...

Seriously, this is very cool but probably too much work to set it up for one-time use.

1 Like

Great success! :slight_smile: I appreciate how you pounded at the problem until it got fixed :+1:

You are right, unfortunately the map does not work remotely. It can be made to work, but it will require to move some of the processing from the browser to the Hub (thus draining valuable resources) and quite a lot of code changes... not sure it's worth the effort.

If you read a bit up, @kahn-hubitat thinks that these "Unknown" nodes are removed or re-paired devices. He found out that you can clear them out if you reboot the devices that reported them.

When I'll get a bit of time, I intend to remove and re-pair some devices in my mesh and see if I can create new "Unknowns".

Nice! this made me laugh :rofl:

You are right.

Might help folks looking for weak spots in their Zigbee mesh, but lack the ability to view things in space (like me).

Might also help folks show off their Zigbee maps and win the prize on this thread: Show your Zigbee or Z-Wave maps :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wow!

After all, I need to map my Zigbee mesh per floor (*), so it creates the need for multiple images that open in an stacked, 3D viewer... :wink:

(*) basement, 1st, 2nd, and attic!

1 Like

That escalated quickly

4 Likes

not really true as i see routes going between floors all the time.. need a 3d rotatable cube.. lol

3 Likes

That sounds reasonable as to the origin of the device IDs.

I always have three unknowns that show up in my map; per usual, none of their device IDs exist in Zigbee details.

Just to satisfy myself that there were indeed no such physical devices on my mesh, I ran an XCTU scan on my Xstick; after a half hour or so of multiple scans (your app is so much faster at discovery!) it found 70 devices, all of whose device IDs matched up with actual entries in Zigbee details.

The app finds 73 which accounts for the 3 unknowns... And those unknowns in all three cases curiously showed links to Zigbee bulbs. Usually XCTU can display each router device's internal table entries (these bulbs are indeed routers) but curiously again for these Zigbee bulbs all of the internal entries display as zeros (the bulbs themselves have always worked fine). Maybe a quirk in their firmware causes this.

If those devices weren't such a pain to reset and pair, I would remove and re add them just to see if the unknown device IDs go away (neighbor and child entries are stored in non-volatile memory so I'm not surprised at just rebooting them by removing and re-adding power to them didn't change anything).

Just speculating since I don't know, but it does seem reasonable that an old device ID could occupy an entry in a device's table that hasn't been overwritten or purged, though evidently it must be internally marked as unused-- maybe in the same way that route table entries get marked unused when they contain null/unknown devices.

Maybe when the app tries to associate that device ID with a label (from the database) "unknown" gets returned from the query...

I'd be happy with an option to suppress unknowns from being drawn on the map; especially if that is easier than actually figuring out how to eliminate them. It's clear they don't exist physically and fortunately
Zigbee doesn't suffer from the ghost issue that Z-Wave does so they add no value for troubleshooting.

4 Likes

I removed two Zigbee plugs from C8 hub and added to my Hue Bridge...
Since then, I now have two "unknown" devices in addition to the one that was there from last couple of days!

EDIT: managed to get rid of the two unknown devices by removing the zigbee router (Computer Innr SP242) reporting these two devices, then re-paired the device.
Physically switching the plug off did not work.

5 Likes

Here is mine. Notice the lone non-repeater connected to the hub. It is about as far away from the hub as it can get. It has to go through a cabinet door, brick wall, cabinetry including a refrigerator rather than take route through the Kitchen repeater. I suppose I could reset and re-add it, but why bother? BECAUSE IT BUGS ME. But I won't. At least not yet.....

Summary

1 Like

Thanks, although unplugging the reporting device for a while and putting it back in didn't clear it.

2 Likes
4 Likes

~! HOLLY WOW !~
Thanks for making this ! What a great app !
Amazing - Great - Cool - Works !
I am Getting ONE Unknown .. And I do not even care ! LOL

This seemed to work for me, but now the count is off. It is showing found 28 of 29 devices, but the map is actually showing all 29 devices.

In this case, the 29th "device" is your hub --it also strikes me as odd to have it say "28/29" here instead of 28/28, but I suppose there must be a reason for it.

I myself don't think of my hub as a device in the context of this app, but maybe I'm an oddball in that respect :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. If it considers the Hub a device, it should say 29/29. If not, it should say 28/28. Any way you look at it, it found everything - not 28 out of 29.

Mine says 23 of 22 I do have 22 devices and one hub .. so I am guessing it counts the hub :wink:

The “unknown” is 23. Or perhaps 22&23 since you have 2 unknowns. It looks like your unknowns are/were repeaters.

@dandanache , any idea why the app thinks one of my Iris V2 motion sensors is a repeater? Should I just rejoin it or ignore it? It seems to work fine, but of course it fails the interview every time.
EDIT: Nevermind; it had stopped reporting. Apparently the battery needed replaced (reading 63%) and after replacing it, it shows up as an end device.