[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

The “first firmware updater” (in the first post of this thread) has checking code to make sure you have the right type (but not the right frequency for your region). The “second (binary) firmware updater” can’t do all of that checking.

It’s all discussed in this thread. Good luck. I have used the “first” updater to update my Zooz ZEN16 MultiRelay, worked fine except I had to do a factory reset at the end and re-join.

I understand that you don’t have a USB stick. I bought two of them (700 series) S2 SiLabs stick, and an Aeotec (Aeon) Gen 5 (500 series) stick so that I could finesse the current SiLabs 700 series code that can’t, at present, join a 700 series device unauthenticated.

Sigh, we are on the bleeding edge.

Is that the model you bought Silicon Labs SLUSB001A? If so, it should work with any update firmware software right?

Yes. $19.95 from Digi-Key. I use it with the free SiLabs Simplicity Studio software. There’s a write up in these forums on using with Hubitat.

1 Like

Which version do you use with HE? Version 4 or 5? Or does it matter?

It really doesn’t matter, I have used both. It lets you install both versions side-by-side. I just use it to get to the PC program that lets you fool around with the network, remove ghost nodes, fix pairing the way I want it. Now that the C-7 seems to have stabilized, I rarely use it.

1 Like

I am having a senior moment - I have a ZOOZ multi relay I need to update, and don't have a windows PC so need to use this option (if there is a Mac way to use a USB stick do do this, please advise!).

However I cannot for the life of me complete these steps from the first. post:

1. Go to the device details page for the device you want to update
  2. Under device information change the driver to Z-Wave Firmware Updater and click Save Device

I am clicking on "devices" at the top left menu on Hubitat and the clicking on the name of my multi relay from the table that follows. I am then presented with a list of commands, preferences and device information but under device information there is no place to change the driver. There is a click box for "type" but I don't see "Z-Wave Firmware Updater" listed under that box.

How is this actually done? Am I missing a step? thank you.

The user (community) drivers should be at the bottom of the list. You did add (the appropriate) Firmware Updater code to the “Driver’s Code” in the upper left hamburger menu on your hub, didn’t you? That’s a prerequisite to having the user driver appear.

Oh, and as with changing the driver for any device, click Configure, set up preferences, save preferences.

2 Likes

Hi All,
when you see device flashing is it done?
Thanks beau

Depends on the device. Some devices, like the Zooz devices, seem to do a factory reset defaults after flashing and never indicate they are done (because they have unpaired). I just wait about 20 minutes, remove them from Hubitat (will break automations and dashboards if you don’t substitute a dummy virtual device), re-include, then swap back for the dummy devices.

Only way to know if it worked seems to be to check the firmware reported by the driver. If you don’t have a driver that reports firmware rev, use Mike Maxwell’s Basic Z-Wave Tool to check.

Thank you for your work, so convenient to be able to update firmware with your tool. Hoorey.
Quick question: I've updated 6 of 7 of Red Dimmers. Yet, one pops an Out of Memory message towards the end and fails.... Any ideas?

I had posted in an old discussion

Best regards.

Did you try rebooting the hub? A screenshot and logs showing the error message might help. I’ve never seen that error using the firmware updater.

Memory_Msg

Just rebooted - same message

Good news, on all my other 6 units, all on 1.35 I had done 1.47, then 1.48. The 7th one would crap out on 1.47, so I tried just 1.48. It worked it's fine now.

Good to go.

1 Like

Well, obviously, you are proficient at doing the update because you have successfully done it on the other devices. Is this the same file and type of switch as the others?

Edit: we must have been typing at the same time. Great that you figured it out.

Okay color me a bit confused after reading through all of this. I have 4 Zooz ZEN30's that are on 1.03 and 1.05 is the current firmware. I'm hoping that the 1.05 will fix the issue with the fan relay on the switch not communicating with the hub (C7). These are paired S2 unauthenticated and have rules assigned to them currently. What are the steps required to upgrade these with minimal headache and bloodshed. :wink:

If I knew that the next hub firmware was going to address this I'd keep waiting for that but it's really driving me nuts to have to work around these fan's. I can get them to go on and off via a virtual controlling them but the real switch never reports the status to the hub which is the main problem here.

Thanks.

You need to pair with no security whatsoever. From the programmer, earlier in this thread:

If you want to pair securely, then exclude after flashing.

1 Like

Ya I was hoping I missed something and that was resolved. Okay well I’ll give that a go this coming weekend I guess. Thanks.

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli You might note this on the firmware update documentation at Knowledge Base Redirect – Inovelli

I paired my dimmers securely with my C-7, so I'm excluding them and re-pairing them in order to update them.

@bcopeland I see the version from the first post is included in HPM -- but I needed the zwaveBinaryUpdater.groovy to upgrade my Inovelli dimmers. Would you consider adding that as a second installable driver in HPM (since for now they are two versions)?

Apparently, device firmware updating will be an included part of the platform beginning with firmware update 2.2.4, expected “real soon now”. See this screenshot from the Hubitat Live episode earlier this week:

Bryan Copeland (Hubitat staff, and developer of the two firmware updater driver versions) indicated in another thread this week that it would initially only be Z-Wave, like the current drivers he wrote.

7 Likes