[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

Thank you for this Bryan!

I also want to report my experience with the Zooz ZEN27 (going from 2.03 to 2.08) and the Zooz ZEN26 (going from 2.01 to 2.03). I did the upgrade on one switch at a time. In both cases, the switch accepted the flash but lost it's connection to the hub afterwards.

Same thing happened separately for each upgrade: After the upgrade said it was completed, I then waited ~20 minutes to give the switch time to reboot and reconnect. For the dimmer, I tried the air gap, but it still wouldn't connect to the hub after starting back up. I then excluded the switch and the hub reported that an "Unknown Device Was Excluded". It let me add it as a new device and then I deleted the old device.

Even if this is normal, it still beats buying a USB Z-wave stick.

2 Likes

Today, I updated two more Inovelli Red Series Dimmer switches which happen to be close to the hub. It took less than 12 minutes to update both switches and it worked right off after switching back to its' driver.

It was a nice clean quick update .. 10 stars! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This for sure is one of the best new things I've found since jumping into the Hubitat community. Thank you so much @bcopeland for all your work here — and in the multitude of other places in which you're active.

I managed to firmware update 3× LZW31-SN dimmers without issue. I have a few more to update but those have many rules, dashboards, etc. already composed. Assuming that the firmware update is successful and I do not have do perform an exclude/include cycle will switching drivers corrupt or otherwise ruin rules? Device preferences? Dashboards? Anything else? I use quite a few custom drivers (many of them written by Bryan)

Bigger Question: What about preserving rules (or device preferences, dashboards, or any other Hubitat programming, etc) through an exclude/include cycle? Or a device replacement where something fails and requires a new installation. Until now I have done this manually by rewriting rules all over again each time. That's slow and error prone. But now during the lockdown that I am writing rules in earnest it is becoming more risky to tinker. I realize there is no official Hubitat "ZWave Replace" function. But I am curious what others in the community have done.

– Richard

1 Like

Ok.. So it seems the zooz devices that drop off after... Is because the NIF (Node Information Frame) changes.. In between firmware updates, they add so many features that some require additional command classes, and this changes the NIF, which the hub no longer identifies at that point.. Zooz is the only one I have seen where the firmware updates change so much that they are basically different devices afterwards.. (kinda cool that they put that much into the firmware updates)

2 Likes

There was a recommendation made earlier to replace the device to be updated with a virtual device in all the instances (apps, routines, scenes, etc) where the device is being used. While this does entail a bit of upfront work, I created a generic "Dummy Device" for that purpose. As the upgrade completed changed the Zooz devices I had, if I had not done anything, it would have "broken" all my apps, lost my settings and killed my routines, I was able to preserve them with using that approach and save myself a LOT of work (and aggravation.)

2 Likes

Has anyone found the firmware for the Iris Zigbee/Z-wave plug in modules? I doubt they are available, but thought I'd ask. I looked around for a bit but could not find any.

Thanks

1 Like

That would be awesome

Agree! None of the five I have are current enough to work with the nice community driver for them, meaning I cannot see the power usage on them.

1 Like

That is only on the zigbee side

So can we go on to flashing the next switch once we get the New image was successfully stored in temporary non-volatile memory. The device will now start storing the new image in primary non-volatile memory dedicated to executable code. Then the device will restart itself. message?

1 Like

Yes

I just updated my first Inovelli LZW31-SN. Thank you very much for this, and all you do! @bcopeland
You should have your donation link on this post. You deserve all the donations you can get....

1 Like

@bcopeland thanks for this! I just flashed one of my Innovelli LZ31 Red Dimmers.

My network was a bit flaky, as it happens, and I had a number of failures in the transfer of the firmware to the dimmer, but eventually, I did a Zwave repair, and the next attempt was a success!

I'm going to try some older Zooz Zen26 and 27s next!

Again thanks!
S

1 Like

@bcopeland, do you have any firmware versions for the Fibaro FGK-10X by any chance?

Mine are at version 2.5, and I think there is a 3.14 maybe????

2 Likes

I don't have any fibaro firmwares

Ok, thanks. I am trying to get mine to work and not having any luck. Have tried every driver known and not working well. Cannot get them to read any temps from external probe. Others have used the built-in driver but no dice for me.

Was hoping a firmware update would be what I needed......

1 Like

I don't think Fibaro makes their firmware available. I've been looking for their implant firmware today with no luck. From my understanding, they only make it available through their Fibaro Home Center hub. So you can only update a device if they are connected to their hub.

1 Like

FYI:
I’ve got 2 x FGK-10x and only 1 reports firmware and that displays it as 2.3

Both report temps using the in built driver.

1 Like

Hmm, still can't get my Leviton DZ6HD working, I keep getting stuck at sleepy device. I've tried all the steps to get it working like playing with the air gap timing, but no dice. Any ideas?

Also nothing really shows in the debug logs, only that there was a lock.

1 Like

Zen26 report.

1 Unit got stuck at "Wake Sleepy Device", but it may be because it has the newest firmware. I need to check that out.

1 Unit flashed and updated. I was required (as others have reported) to exclude and re-include the device, but it correctly detected as the Scene enabled version of the switch. (Previously, I think it detected as "device").

What an awesome tool. Thanks again @bcopeland.

Scott

1 Like