[RELEASE] Z-Wave Firmware Updater

If you can throw up a quick web server then yes.. It has to be hosted on a web server..

I'm trying to update a Zooz Power strip and they sent me the file. How would I set up a web server? I believe that your talking about something that way over my tech skills?

2 Likes

Do you have Google Drive? Or a Github account? Either will work .....

Or, as he's done for so many others, @bcopeland will step in to help .... :smiley:

1 Like

Some are doing private github repos, some are using web servers on their computer, some are using dropbox, etc..

I do have Google Drive. I uploaded the file and share a link and put the link in the url and it is now padding hex bytes??? I hope that I did it correctly?? Thanks

1 Like

That doesn't sound right.. There were some tweaks to the url for google drive..

2. Paste the Shareable Link and Modify

Now paste the shareable link you copied in a notepad or browser. This link looks like this one –

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qbLiO_ZFmuQUPSj8Sj1URjGgnzyzsb57

You have to edit this link, just replace open? with uc?export=download& to get direct link.

After this change, the link should look like this –

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1qbLiO_ZFmuQUPSj8Sj1URjGgnzyzsb57

That’s the direct/native link for the Google Drive file and its a permanent link. So you can use the link for lifetime! The direct/permanent link will skip the Google Drive web viewer.

3 Likes

I can't confirm this as I don't use google drive.. but some have mentioned other tweaks above..

1 Like

@aaiyar Thanks for the offer but I really want to learn some how to do some of this on my own, you have help me so much with node red and other things. I think that I finally got it and it is now downloading the firmware? Thanks for you help also @bcopeland. It updated the firmware with no problem Thanks to you both for helping.

3 Likes

Anytime

1 Like

You know.. I don't believe in writing tracking functions into my code.. But it would have been interesting to know how many devices got updated using it.

1 Like

I had 6 so far and have another 12 that I want to do but doing a little at a time. I'm just grateful to be doing inside Hubitat instead of the USB Z Stick. Thanks for making it easy on us.

3 Likes

Nice.. Good to hear

2 Likes

I've been seeing other signs that there might be high activity or interference, such as scenes taking 10-20 seconds to fully activate. I'm not sure how to diagnose it though. I did make some recent changes to my mesh: I added two Inovelli Red dimmers and 3 Iris plugs with the Z-Wave repeaters enabled. Maybe the plugs? I didn't really need the repeaters but as long as I had the plugs i thought I'd enable the Z-Wave repeaters as well. Maybe they are interfering or adding additional hops?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose something like this other than removing devices one by one until things start working? Thanks for any suggestions.

2 Likes

You don't mention it so ...have you done a Zwave repair since adding the repeaters ?
If not I'd do one, then reboot your hub via the GUI and in a couple of days time do anther zwave repair.
And don't panic if things seem a little jittery straight after the "repair and reboot", because the system should be sorting itself out.

3 Likes

I would also enable logging for these and any other devices you may have that are capable of reporting power usage. I had a single switch drag my hub into the mud with excessive power reports.

3 Likes

Absolutely first step.. The high traffic could be repeated packets due to inefficient routing

Thanks @bcopeland, @njanda and @bjcowles. I did to a repair right after adding the repeaters and have rebooted the hub since, but not immediately after. I'll try enabling logging and doing on second repair. I'll take this to a new thread if I need more help so I don't clutter this one more than I already have.

1 Like

:bulb: Next person that updates an inovelli red series switch.. Check the state variables for “actualAssociations” and post it please. I have a theory

Great stuff @bcopeland, I just updated 5 Zen22s and 2 Zen27s. All went smoothly. Thanks to @aaiyar for outlining the Zooz process and @agnes.zooz for sending the firmware files over so fast! Love how fast my dimmers are now.

3 Likes

I want to add my thanks to @bcopeland and @aaiyar to those sent by @liquidskin.
I too was able to successfully update my ZooZ Zen23, Zen24 and Zen27 switches without issue.
Fantastic job!!

3 Likes