[Deprecated] Xiaomi / Aqara ZigBee device drivers (possibly may no longer be maintained)

I only have 4 ikea outlets in my 4000+ sqft house, working fine, no drops on my Xiaomi aqara temp/humidity sensors.

I just put them about 1/2 way between the hub (which is in the dead center of my house) and the outer walls in each direction. More or less.

I don't have an XBee, so have no idea which Xiaomi devices are going through repeaters and which are connecting directly to the hub.

I think it might be new ..... took a punt on it and ordered a couple as on paper at least it looks useful (there's not many modules in the ZigBee world compared to Z-Wave).

So at some point I should be able to report back ..... Ali is a bit hit and miss for delivery times to me, sometimes it's within a week, others it's a month or more!

Tell me about it.

Got my Xiaomi hub in 4 days (looking at maybe using it for my Xiaomi devices, and bridging it back to Hubitat), but my other 5 temp/humidity sensors were ordered >a month ago and nada yet.

I have about the same setup.

Note that the Ikea Signal Repeaters work with Xiaomi devices too, but have a really low signal strength listed in the docs (3 dBm versus the 14 dBm on the outlet).

Not sure if the 3 dBm is accurate, but that is what their manual says so I would avoid them.

I’d love to test it out and make a driver, but...

... I’m on 60Hz power.

Still interested in hearing about it, though!

he he ...Seeing that 50Hz is like "music to my ears"/.
That'd suit us in Aus perfectly. :slightly_smiling_face:
Now I just need to make sure ikea repeaters become available down here although their range is terrible. Listed as only 11 yards !!

1 Like

Was thinking I might try to get hold of some of the UK versions of the ikea outlets (unless anyone has heard that they will be releasing them down here??) to use as repeaters. Thoughts? Any reason they shouldn't work for us?

That doesn't matter, it will be fine.

11 yards is probably accurate for all I know. The distance to my farthest repeater is less than that. That's 11 yards open air as well.

The Xbee would probably suite your construction material better. Can you get them at a reasonable price there? How strong are allowed to operate?

Ikea range numbers are suspect in my opinion...

The outlet has 11 dBm output power - listed range=11 yards

The repeater has 3 dBm output power - listed range=11 yards

Does not compute.

I have one Ikea outlet 25 ft and 4 walls from the hub and it is working fine.

Can’t get them at all down here !

Yeah, they should work, it’s just getting hold of them in Aus.
I thought I read somewhere that the repeater actually plugs into the power plug portion via a USB connector which would make them super convenient. Stuff them into spare USB ports around the house. :+1:t2:

1 Like

Yes. Splitting the USB zigbee repeater is really usefull. They are actih well for me

Just wondering, has anyone had experience with Hue lightstrip and hue lights being a successful repeater if connected to Hue bridge? I have a few of these scattered around the house (and a hue floodlight in the garden) and have 2 Xiaomi motion sensors on their way.

No. Opposite actually. Keep the Hue lights on their own network with a Hue Bridge. Hue lights are great for other Hue lights, but lousy repeaters for everything else.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

2 Likes

I assume that (splitting the repeater from the outlet) would be the same for the US version?? If so, it should definitely be easier for me to get my hands on a US one.

Yes, they work the same way.

1 Like

I am going to put in an order (in the US) and will have them shipped to my address in Texas. I'll have my mate open them and possibly/probably remove the US adapter, and then ship them to me.

If anyone else wanted some, PM me and I can add yours to my order. I would sell them as 2nd hand (no support), at cost. That price would consist of the $11.99 USD + sales tax (if applied) + US shipping + shipping down here, converted to AUD, plus shipping in AU (if required - I am Brissie).

Per order that someone else may want, I am guessing the Shipping to TX will add max $5, shipping to AU might add $20-$30??, US->AU conversion will add about 42% The shipping cost from US to AU is the biggest factor, but assuming the estimates above, 4 signal repeaters would probably end up costing about $110-$120 AUD, not counting shipping within AU. So if anyone is interested, let me know ASAP as I will probably order this time tomorrow.

If you’re going to go through that trouble, why not get a high power Xbee shipped to you?

1 Like