[RELEASE] TP-LINK TAPO Plug, Switch, Bulb, Hub and Robovac Integration

Thank you for your work on this integration. I'm running into a problem adding the matter plug P125M, the app finds it but isn't able to add it. The logs show the following error:

" tapo_device_install-2.3.7b: addDevices: [failedToAdd: [788CB56F2EBD:[label:Matter Smart Plug, type:tpLink_plug, error:com.hubitat.app.exception.UnknownDeviceTypeException: Device type 'tpLink_plug' in namespace 'davegut' not found]] ]".

Is this device not compatible with your drivers? Also, I noticed a long complicated password will not work, I had to change the length from 21 to 8 and it picked it up.

Edit - Just saw you verified P125M on your github.

You do not have the driver installed into Hubitat. see location at:

'https://github.com/DaveGut/tpLink_Hubitat/blob/main/Docs/TapoInstallation.md

Dang, not sure how I missed that!

Thanks. I’ve deleted all my tapo devices and added them back. They used the same ip as they all had reservations on the dhcp server. Everything is working fine as if nothing happened!
Many thanks for the integration and your support.

1 Like

@djgutheinz - Just wanted to say a hugh thankyou for the integration. I used it for a Tapo plug with energy monitoring and works a treat!! Thankyou!

1 Like

Iv been using kasa mostly but I had bought a few tapo plugs.. I had them connected to the old integration but hadn't realise until now that it seems this is the new app due to credential changes at tplink end.

So I removed the old integration. Added this one. It found my 2x tapo power plugs (P100 on firmware 1.2.1) and I added them. However they can't be controlled and I don't see anything in the device page in the states.

I used to have something in the aes box on the device page but they are now black.

I get this error.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Text must not be null or empty on line 692 (method delayedUpdates)

And this warning

Jakob camera power-1.1: handshake: [method:handshakeData, rsaKeys:4, respStatus:FAILED, check:pubPem. devIp, respData:[status:HTTP Failed, data:java.net.UnknownHostException: null: Name or service not known]]

Ok it seems the old drivers weren't removed properly as I can see two sets in the drop down box on the device page. I changed the device to that.. And low and behold. They work. Woops.

None of us are perfect. I am very glad you resolved your issue.

Dave

Hi All,

I'm quite new to the smart home scene, so apologies if I say anything obviously wrong, still learning.

However, I can't seem to get this installation working.

I've installed the App and Drivers via HPM, which seems to go fine. The issue is that I can't seem to see any of my TAPO devices hub included.

One thing that i have noticed is that in the installation guide, it makes mention of

tapoNewWifiDevice and tapoHub-NewType drivers.

I can't see these in the installed drivers and i can't seem to find them on GIT.

Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

We were all novices at one time, so I understand and sympathize. The information you provided is so top-level, I can not tell. I assume you have done what you said and only what you said.

These are no longer relevant nor loaded. Nil impact to operations.

Installation using HPM ONLY installs the driver and application code into the system. Did you finish the installation (by following the instructions in the installation document)? I surely can not make an assumption here.

Recheck that you have completed steps in the instruction. If you have, check the log data for WARNING messages. Any of these may indicate the problem. Private message the logs to me. If you have not, then kindly redo the installation after installing the code into Hubitat.

I have a Tapo RGB bulb that is about 29 million feet away from the hub - how do I connect that? The integration keeps looking locally, but obviously, at 29M feet, that bulb is no more local than I am a software developer :smiley: oh, bad analogy. Is there any integration that allows cloud access, rather than local? I know, swimming against the stream here... thank you

Is the bulb on the same network as your hubitat hub? If theyre on different networks, you may be able to connect using a vpn between the networks.
Can you give some more details of your infrastructure?

Nah, I wish I had a local network spanning half the globe :smiley: No, it's at my dad's house, different SSID, different city, different country, different continent, you get it - I don't want to go the length of setting up VPNs, essentially opening my network to anything he might do at his house. I just want plain old cloud API. SmartThings works with it, looking into setting up Replica to bring that bulb into Hubitat - or else install HA and go that route - anything before I'd do a VPN between the two houses.

There are examples of Tapo API written in python on the web, I might just go and write the driver myself, but if one already exists (I believe @djgutheinz had a cloud version at first, but that repo is gone).

Thank you

LE: For further insight, the reason I want that bulb accessible is because he wants his glucose meter reading changing that bulb's color in his living room. First world problem, obviously :smiley:

can't find wifi signal strength, but it's in Europe... so it doesn't really matter

I got it working by connecting it to ST :smiley: and then using the Replica app and drivers to bring that into Hubitat. It's a hack****ery but I'll see if it works for now.

Thank you all for your help!

Thats good, I was going to suggest doing something with nodered.
e.g running a local copy of nodered at your dads, connecting to the tapo devices. (I cant remember if the integration still works with the security changes?) Then you could just call a nodered url target at your dads from webcore to activate the tapo device.

yeah, that implies he knows how to setup a rbpi and all - all he wants is his bulb to reflect his blood sugar level. Magic stuff :slight_smile: thank you again

You could just send the memory card! Just for info if you’re interested, I checked, the new working palette for tapo is “node-red-contrib-tapo-new-api”
I quite like node red for graphing power & temp usage over time. Its web end points are very useful and easy to use too.

Hi
I just installed 7 Tapo Matter Smart Bulbs (1100 lumen ones) in my home theater sconces using the Commissioning with HomeKit and then pairing the first one with Hubitat.
With Matter support in Hubitat what are the pros and cons to this app in this use case?

Does this integration allow for a specific driver for the Tapo bulbs instead of a generic one?

Thanks
Nate

This integration provides for some (if not all) of the settings (gear box in Tapo app) for the devices. Not as important for bulbs, but for plugs and EM plugs, there are some circuit protection and auto off settings that are nice. It also seems a little more responsive (no proof).

I have tested on Tapo and Kasa Matter plugs and lights.