[RELEASE] Tasmota for HE - Auto-detecting Tasmota drivers + Tasmota firmware 7.x/8.x for HE (for use with Tuya, Sonoff and other ESP devices)

Ok that makes sense, but how do I get the rules in tasmota to trigger a action in Hubitat?

Do you have issues upgrading? Everytime I go to upgrade HTTPHook versions the only way I can do it is:

1. Upgrade to Minimal,
  2. Upgrade to the new version,
    (it now has to be rediscovered via WIFI, and put back on the right SSID
  3. start from scratch (or restore a setting)

I can never just upgrade. It is so frustrating. I don't understand how the next version never fits.

BTW, thanks for your work on this!

You have to use that Topgreener Scene Controller driver that I linked. Markus's driver wont detect the button presses. Technically the Topgreener doesn't even send notifications of the button presses over the network. What the rules do, is set a variable on the device when a button is pressed on the secondary controller. My Topgreener driver detects this and registers it as a button press in Hubitat. And you can use the Button Controllers app or Rule Machine or whatever, to do actions in Hubitat.

Well... this is by design in Marcus's original firmware. He designed it so that the settings reset if you go to from standard Tasmota to his firmware. And vice-versa also happens. He used a different CFG_HOLDER value. (memory location for settings). There was really no reason to do this.

Basically it means you can't install any other version of Tasmota on top of Marcus's without losing your settings.

So what to do? I could keep Marcus settings location. But the last version he released was what? 8.3? And because of the upgrade path that means I would have to compile special tasmota versions for 8.5.1->9.1-> 10.0 and even more going forward. So I decided to just rip the band-aid off and go back to the standard Tasmota memory location for settings. So everything will be fine going forward and you can play around with beta releases of Tasmota and stuff with worrying about losing settings.

1 Like

Thanks for that - I'm biting the bullet now and starting upgrading all of mine to your 10.0 build. Got 97 total tasmota devices, so you see my pain. This will be great moving forward.

So from 10.0 onward I should expect to not have upgrade issues? I'm trying to upgrade from your 9.4 to 10.0, using the gz file, and I get the "Upgrade Buffer Miscompare" failure message.

The majority of my upgrades I'm doing are the 8.5.1 HE version.

Thanks install the driver and it works fine from hubitat to send on and off commands, but it does not receive button press events from my sonoff. Any suggestion? I already set the option so73 - Decouple Relays / Enable Buttons to true

Ah! I see from your screenshot you are on Tasmota version 8.5.1. That explains things. You need to be on a higher version of Tasmota for it to work. My apologies! It's been awhile since I ran such an old version. If you install the Tasmota 10.0 HttpHook firmware from my previous post it should work for you. Please understand that it will reset your device settings when you update the firmware.

Old Tasmota used to not report which button number you pressed. Not good for if you have multiple buttons. It would come out as:
{"ACTION":"SINGLE"}

Starting with around Tasmota 9.3 it started reporting as:
{"Button1":{"Action":"SINGLE"}}

Much better! That's what my driver looks for.

1 Like

That's right it would be the same as if you are upgrading between standard Tasmota versions. You can even install and use a regular Tasmota firmware, it just wont have HttpHook.

"Upgrade Buffer Miscompare" just means not enough space. They actually changed the message to say that starting with v10.0. It's just with some devices you have to use minimal to update. For example: I have an IR Receiver that only has 392kB of free space. Even the .gz Tasmota is 433Kb so I have to install minimal to free space first.

Wow 97 devices! You really don't have to update, if you aren't using any of the new features. :smiley: Up to you though of course. I updated all my switches because I like using the buttons to do stuff in Hubitat.

Yea color bulbs (42) make it sound like a lot. I'll continue to upgrade in order to get them all in the good place.
I'm getting in a good pattern to upgrade, I'm doing them by device type. Finished the Treatlife Dimmers (14 of them) and Treatlife on/off switches (18 of them) Of to the Lohas and Feit bulbs!

Thanks, update the firmware and now it's perfect.

I just learned about so13 1 on tasmota that makes switches instantly turn on. With option 13 off, there is a pause looking for a double click. It makes the switches turn on wicked fast! As Travis says at DigiblurDIY! I saw it in one of Travis's latest videos. Great Discord channel! I've seen you there!

Hi there:

Can you please let me know how to do this? I am not sure what "so13 1 on tasmota" means

Thanks

By the way: AWESOME work!

If I understood right you broke the drivers into small ones instead of having a big APP/Parent/Child for all toghether right?

If so, there are 2 that I am missing, one is for IR-blasters and another fo RF-Bridges. Markus has not done any for the IR but there is one for RF but it is old and I think it doesnt work very well with the new firmware. Do you have plans to have some of it? The good part on those two drivers and httphook is that if you use the remote control of the devices you can track if the device was turned ON via remote or via automation.

so13 is short for 'set option 13' 1 is for on, 0 is for off.

From the console of the Tasmota device from the web gui, type so13 (Enter) and it will respond that it is set to 0 (Off). Typing so13 1 will turn that feature on.

I always thought the delay in response was the smart device having a cpu type of delay, it turns out it was on purpose for the option to do double clicking. It is much faster toggling with so13 set to 1.

Hope that helps!

Excellent many thanks.... they respond so much faster.......

Hey there,

I'm just starting out with Tasmota and have a few questions. Flashing itself seems pretty straight forward for me so far. Question is which .bin file I have to use? The ones provided by @Obi2000 or can I flash my Tasmota devices with the firmware I want and still integrate it into Hubitat?
Also, if I use for example the generic switch-file, is it "just" a file modified to work with HE and in and off itself still just switch-mode? And mor important: Which drivers do I have to use? I'm confused right now... :face_with_monocle:

Obi2000, Thanks for the great work. I just started about 1 1/2 years ago flashing tasmota devices (SonoffS31 outlets, TreatLife switches and dimmers) utilizing Marcus’ drivers etc. I am currently on v8.5.1 (the last version supported by Marcus). I only have about 20 Tasmotized devices at this time so to try and “future proof” in the event that Hubitat ceases to work with Marcus’ drivers, I thought I would “upgrade” to your version that can work with v10 and beyond. A newbie question. Exactly what steps will I have to do to upgrade my existing devices to your version (i.e., what do I need to change in Hubitat and do I have to start from scratch in terms of redoing all the settings in each of my Tasmota devices as well as re-doing all my Rules in Hubitat?). Thanks for any input.

I'll answer - I just did this. It's a pain, but worth it.
Caveat - Do at your own risk - so many people say do not use tasmota-minimal, but I'm 100% successful doing this over 100 times..
Step 1 - Back your config in the gui of the device.
Step 2 - Firmware upgrade to a newer tasmota-minimal. I think I was doing a 9.4 release.
Step 3 - After that completes, upgrade again from minimal to the Obi2000 10.0.0 webhook version.
Step 4 - most devices are now reset and you need to web connect to the device and provide the wifi settings. When done for me, they went right back to the same ip they were.
Step 5 - Restore your config from the 8.5.1. This worked for me, saving things like device groups, the device setup, MQTT settings, etc.

From a Hubitat perspective, the restore will keep the webhook settings, so nothing necessary.

Rinse, repeat. It is a time suck, but was worth it for me. Good Luck!

Hello, I recently added sonoff iFan 03 into hubitat, i can see only one child device that's for light am not able to see fan controls. how to add them

@Obi2000
Does your 10.0.0 w/httphook firmware support the Presence feature/attribute that Marcus' 8.5.1 firmware had?

Im asking because when I try to enable it, I get this error in the HE logs:

2021-12-30 01:16:54.234 pm [error](http://hubitat.local/device/edit/1667)groovy.json.JsonException: expecting '}' or ',' but got current char '3' with an int value of 51 The current character read is '3' with an int value of 51 expecting '}' or ',' but got current char '3' with an int value of 51 line number 1 index number 19 {"HttpHookPort":395 ...................^ on line 855 (method parse)
2021-12-30 01:16:54.007 pm [error](http://hubitat.local/device/edit/1667)groovy.json.JsonException: expecting '}' or ',' but got current char '"' with an int value of 34 The current character read is '"' with an int value of 34 expecting '}' or ',' but got current char '"' with an int value of 34 line number 1 index number 19 {"HttpHookHost":"19 ...................^ on line 855 (method parse)

And is then followed by a system restart every 30 seconds:
2021-12-30 01:17:54.296 pm warnRestartReason: Software/System restart
2021-12-30 01:17:53.550 pm warnRestartReason: Software/System restart
2021-12-30 01:17:24.356 pm warnRestartReason: Software/System restart
2021-12-30 01:17:23.548 pm warnRestartReason: Software/System restart
2021-12-30 01:16:55.312 pm warnRestartReason: Software/System restart
2021-12-30 01:16:54.579 pm warnRestartReason: Software/System restart