[Release] Sony Bravia TV Rest Control

Ok so I have a perplexing issue with 2 Sony XBR's and Rest Control ever since the last firmware update if I use the standard On command the TV comes on and I get a short bit of audio out of the sound bar then it goes silent and I have to push the TV button on the remote to get audio back. I tried to add the pressing of the TV button into the rule but it only works some of the time and since I am using the toggle I also had to do it with a condition.

So I changed to using a keypress and TvPower which works great and does not have the audio drop issue in fact on the newer XBR-43X800H it works every time.

BUT the older XBR-55X800E will sometimes just not turn on which gets the toggle of the power and backlight out of sequence (which seems to cause my wife great concern :slight_smile:)

The XBR-55X800E has always seemed to go into a periodic "sleep" mode with the relay clicking at random times when off, so I assume this is the issue with it not always responding to the TvPower command, so I have been trying to find a way to wake it up before sending that command but using the WakeUp keypress did not work it just turned the tv on and back off. So I set it up to send the Poll command which so far in my brief testing seems to be working. Anyone got any any other ideas on this?

My XBR-85X950G also works great but it has a Denon receiver that turns on via the HDMI-CEC

Thanks

It sounds like you have 3 XBRs: 800H, 800E and 950G. The 800H has the sound issue and the 800E has the wake issue. I assume you have disabled most of the power saving features, did the simple IP and serial via parameters? How is the sound connected to 800H?

The 800E and 800H had the sound issue both have soundbars, 800H is a Yamaha and the 800E is a Sony. The 800H now works correctly with the keypress(TvPower).

The 800E has the wake issue, and yes all power saving features are turned off.

Do you have the WOL settings selected in the preferences?

So the button commands emulate your remote button presses. They use soap calls and will likely never change, even with firmware updates.

Most of this driver relies on the rest API which is close but can be slightly different between models. I have some debugging I can have you run to find out why it's working different. To help pinpoint the issue, turn on debug logging and private message me your logs after something isn't working right.

Also, I'd recommend not to poll. My driver already does it based on what you select in preferences. If your using it to wake the device, I don't think it's doing anything.

I actually have a new driver version coming that will detect the capabilities of your device to configure it correctly. I am just trying to get my master bathroom remodel done before my new baby arrives within the next 2 weeks. My wife gives me quite the look if I'm on the computer very long. :slight_smile:

Edit: also there is an API command for HDMI audio toggle. I have a Sony soundbar on mine and have seen a few issues when I play with the soundbars API.

1 Like

Thanks...no rush I believe I have found a workaround for now its guaranteed to make you smile at least a little.

Sometimes you just have make force it to work :grinning:

I will put the original rule back in place in the next day or so and get you the logs, but certainly finish the remodel before spending any time on this.

It's been 2 years now and I had grown tired of remodeling our house so I had this grand idea to build a new home and be the general contractor...it about killed me and I know exactly the look the wife is giving you.

Thank you so much for this excellent integration! It works beautifully! Oh my, how I wish the Sharp integration on this forum worked half as well as this one!

Tried everything and it all appears to be working on my XBR-55X930D except for Mute On and Mute Off keypresses. Mute and UnMute JSON messages work fine.

Also, my remote has no Youtube button, so that one is not functional; I think the equivalent position on my remote has a Google Play launch button in its place but obviously that's not hooked up in the driver.

Thanks for a great addition to the platform!

I do have to say that my main motivation for adding this was to expose more of the functionality of the Bravia REST API to Alexa for voice control, but so far I have only gotten Power on/off switch capability to work. Tried a number of approaches with creating different kinds of virtual devices to trigger RM rules to drive the Bravia TV Rest Control device with custom commands but so far they aren't being recognized properly by Alexa.

I have been using the Sony Bravia Lite driver after close to a year with no issues and I have been getting the exact same no route to host exception when TV is in standby recently too (at the same time, being able to say "Ok Google" with the TV in standby mode also halted). I checked out this driver and get the same exception.
Yesterday, I was on the phone with Sony Support and would suggest that others who are experiencing it do the same thing as the support personnel indicated they never "heard of this", but it is obvious that either Sony or Google or both have done something with what I suspect is the WOL or network in standby modules.

EDIT: They have kept my support ticket open and are researching further. In a way, I am relieved that others are having the same issue as it can't be said that all our network setups are "wrong" :slight_smile:

Thanks @ajones so much for making this driver available! Love it!

Any chance you could add the 'nest' app as an app that can be launched? This would be great for showing my next cameras on the tv in certain instances!

I don't quite feel like adding the hundreds of apps available to the code (Hubitat has a limit as to how many dropdowns can display, so i had to choose them), but i linked a post where i show you how to modify the code to add your own. Unfortunately, these changes wont be included if you were to update the package from HPM with my future updates. I thought about scanning and dynamically populating the app field, but last i checked, the capability/command buttons have to be hardcoded.

I have been using the Sony Bravia Lite driver after close to a year with no issues and I have been getting the exact same no route to host exception when TV is in standby recently too (at the same time, being able to say "Ok Google" with the TV in standby mode also halted).

Did your TV get a recent Android update? I had to re-enable some settings, re-link the Alexa app etc after the last big OS download.

Fair enough, I understand. Thanks for making the app available nonetheless!

Also getting issues with this driver after recent update to Android​TV. Sigh. It was working fine before. It seems to detach itself and I have to go back into the network/ip settings of the TV in order for it to work again. Then it works for a while then disconnects yet again. Grrrr.

Yeah. So when I bought the tv, the reviews were that the OS was slow and buggy. I agreed, but thought it was worth it anyway. I used a fire TV for awhile. Then I had a firmware update and it was snappy and bug free for like 18 months. Just got one in the last month that freezes my TV and hangs the show I'm watching. Sony certainly did something recently. I might have to do what that post above mentioned and report issue to Sony.

1 Like

In a previous Android version on my Sony (D series), I did a 'debloat' script I found on Reddit that disabled or deleted a lot of the Sony bloat/apps, and it did make a noticeable difference on the menu performance. Search on the Bravia subreddit for debloat, and it might be updated for the current Android. Worth a shot...

@ajones wondering if this driver / Sony API allows for the display of custom messages at the bottom of the screen? I could see that being very useful!

I ended up knocking up something for my needs...

2 Likes

@ajones is it possible to shorten the refresh interval for the device? For my use the 1 minute refresh is a little slow. I added 0.5 and 0.25 to the driver code but it seems to break it but maybe I am not changing the right code. Thanks.

Hey @ajones. Thank you again for this awesome driver.

I'm trying to set up a toggle for mute/unmute and I"m finding that this parameter is either set to 'on' or 'off' however when I try to form an RM conditional action to check for the current status, I'm seeing two options; 'muted' and 'unmuted'. This means that I'm unable to check for the action status of the mute, which is shown in the device page as 'on' or 'off'. Can this be resolved somehow so that I can check the current status of mute properly in a condition?

device page mute is either 'on' or 'off':

however, the condition only allow 'muted' or 'unmuted':

And while trying to set the conditional (no ability to select 'on' or 'off') :

Thanks.